Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Banding In AZ

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. It's been a hectic few weeks. My husband and I are scheduled for the 21st and 22nd of May! We're on day two of our 2 week liquid diet. We also quit smoking yesterday, so we've got a double whammy. It's been rough, but we're doing our best.

I'm feeling excited for the surgery, but also a pleathora of other emotions including self-doubt and some anxiety. Here's hoping my husband and I can make ourselves into success stories! ;)

Hey LilMonkey,

I am also scheduled for May 21! How ironic is that? Which one of you is going first? What time is your surgery scheduled for? Mine is scheduled for 11:45 to check in at 10:45.

So, it was you! You stole my mid-morning timeframe! hehe. I'm going first on the 21st at 8am, check-in time is 7am, I think. What are the odds of that, hehe! Maybe I'll see ya on the way out. Course, I doubt I'll be able to focus on much of anything on the way out, heh.

Does he have you on a 2 week liquid diet, too? If so, how's it going? I'm finding that it's not really hunger that gets me, it's just a general desire to chew on something. So the Jello and popsicles help a lot there.

I have my pre-op appt. tomorrow and plan on starting the diet "officially" tomorrow after meeting with Mike the nutritionist. (Have you had your pre-op appt. yet?) So far today I've had just Water and an Unjury drink. Yuck.

We had our pre-op last thursday. I thought you couldn't set a surgical date until you had that appt. neat! ;) WEll good luck with your pre-op! Should be a breeze since you're already scheduled and what not. (Ours took forever) Mike is really awesome, isn't he?

I thought that, too, but when I called to schedule my pre-op appt. Vanessa asked if I wanted to go ahead and schedule the surgery as well since she had me on the phone. Of course I said yes. I'm off to pre-op appt. in the morning. I'm assuming it will go well. Less than two weeks to go!

LilMonkey,

When I talked to Mike today, he told me I could have chicken breast w/ no skin and egg whites in addition to the liquids on our list! Yeah! I think it will help me A TON to have something to chew on, especially if I get the munchies. He also said sugar-free gum was OK. Day 2 of the diet, so far so good, but it hasn't been easy! How are you doing?

Wow, That's awesome! He definitely didn't mention anything like that for us. Wonder why, hmm.. That should make it a bit easier for you. Lucky, lucky. ;)

We're doing okay. It's definitely not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I'm just trying to stay focused on the surgery date as a positive. I could definitely use an apple and a smoke though. :)

How's day 4 treating you? On a side note, did you end up self-paying or getting insurance to cover?

Wow, That's awesome! He definitely didn't mention anything like that for us. Wonder why, hmm.. That should make it a bit easier for you. Lucky, lucky. ;)

We're doing okay. It's definitely not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I'm just trying to stay focused on the surgery date as a positive. I could definitely use an apple and a smoke though. :)

How's day 4 treating you? On a side note, did you end up self-paying or getting insurance to cover?

Hey LilMonkey,

You should e-mail him; I'm sure it would be OK. I think he just hasn't gotten around to getting it on the list yet. Although, I'm finding it easier to not eat the chicken and egg whites; when I do, I want to eat more. Does that make sense? Overall, I'm doing OK. It's a struggle but I've yet to cheat. (Unless you count the one mini-marshmallow I swiped while getting my son a bowl of Lucky Charms before I even realized what I was doing!)

I ended up self-pay. Well, really I paid for part of it and financed the rest. This better work because I am going into debt for it.

Who is your doctor? I was told I would be getting the new AP band. Did they tell you the same thing?

Hang in there! We can do this!

Heya again.. For some reason, I didn't realize you'd responded.. I was coming in here to post an 'Are you doing alright?' when I saw you'd responded days ago. Eeek!

I've been working primarily with Dr. Orris, but I believe the surgery is done by both Debarros and Orris. He mentioned we'd be getting the new bands too. What's up with that? I couldn't find any information about a new version of the band online, so I hope its as good as Dr. Orris made it sound. :(

We ended up financing too. It was a hard decision for me to make, but my husband put it into perspective for me. Basically, we may be going into debt, but its for a damn good reason: our health and longevity. Can't beat that, right?

As the time draws nearer, are you getting more and more excited or nervous? I think I'm getting more and more nervous. I'm still confident that I've made the right decision.. I think it's just fear of the unknown, you know.

Hey LilMonkey,

I was starting to wonder what happened to you, too!

I haven't been able to find much information about the new band, either. What did Dr. Orris say about it?

Yes, I am getting nervous, too. Fear of the unknown and fear of change. Yikes!

Since you are first in the morning, are you planning on going home the same day? I was told that since I was the last one scheduled that day, there is a chance I might stay overnight in the hospital. Especially if the surgery gets pushed back any. They said I would have to stay there a minimum of four hours but I had the option to stay up to 24 hours. Did they tell you the same thing? Also, did they give you a prescription for heparin injections?

How's the pre-op diet coming? I'm doing pretty good other than a tiny little slip up yesterday where I ate a handful of popcorn. Bad, I know, but I am back on the bandwagon. Only Protein drinks and liquid today.

It's good to hear from you. Only a few days left! :)

SELaine & LilMonkey,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck (but you will not need it, everything will be just fine) on your upcoming surgeries. Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Also, I'm just curious out those new bands you are talking about. When you get more information, can you post info about it on this thread?

Thanks!

Ewa

We did get the heparin injections as well. I've got no problems with needles or anything, but the thought of injecting myself is not a pleasant one. I think I'm going to have my husband do it. hehe! I talked with the check-in nurse, Edith yesterday and she said they generally set up all patients as overnight. That way if they want to stay it's already set up and ready to go and I can stay in my room as long as I want to for the day. But she also said if I feel good and want to go home, I can do that too. I may end up staying, just because it'll be easier on my husband for that first day. But we'll see. :mad:

As for the band, Dr. Orris said it was more aggressive in terms of weight loss and a bit safer in terms of errosion. It seems all around like a good thing, so I'm excited to have the latest and greatest.

Thanks Ewa! With my nerves, I'm taking all the good wishes I can get. :Banane43: I believe in another thread about possibly the new bands, someone said they were announcing them at a bariatics conference in June or July. But if I find out any information, I'll be sure to post it. I'm pretty curious myself :mad:

Oh, and I almost forgot. Congrats on doing so well with the liquid diet. It's incredibly difficult.

You would think with two people going through the exact same thing at the same time, my husband and I would provide each other with strength. Honestly, though I think we make each other weak. Definitely something to work on as we continue our journey. Our liquid diet has been less than stellar as we've had a few slip ups. But we get right back on and so hopefully, we haven't done too much damage. :mad:

Heya SELaine,

Just wanted to wish you luck and best wishes for tomorrow. I'm starting to feel pretty nervous about the whole thing. :) Anyways, good luck and I'll see you on the other side as an official bandster! Who knows, maybe I'll see you at the hospital. Hehe.

Ewa,

Thank you so much! Yes, if I find any info, I'll post it.

LilMonkey,

OMG! Only a few hours left! Being that you are going in first thing in the morning, you probably won't read this until after you are in bandland.... but, if you do, good luck!

The antibiotics we have had to take today have made me sick. They clearly say on them "take with food" so what do you do when you are on a liquid diet? They were awful, awful, awful.... but the nerves aren't helping, either. I am so freaking out right now.

Nobody has called to pre-register me! What's up with that? Now I'm worried something is up. I better not be delayed because of it. When I went in for my EGD they called three times. Yes, three. Maybe we will run into eachother tomorrow roaming the halls! See you on the other side!