Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Banding In AZ

Hi All!

I'm new to banding and just found this awesome site. I've been trolling all day and you all seem awesome. :)

I have a question that I wanted to get some input on before I present it to my doctor. I've mentioned it, but since we haven't set a date for surgery just yet, it hasn't been fully addressed.

I'm working with Dr. Orris over at WLIA and so far I'm pretty happy. My husband and I have decided to both be banded in an attempt for once and for all change in lifestyle.

My problem is this: I'd like my husband and I to be banded at the same time. The reason for this is that we work together and I'm trying to keep it relatively hush hush at work. If we both take a week off at seperate times, it would obviously raise questions. Do you guys think this is a possibility? Assuming the Dr. would be able to schedule it and all.

So I guess my main question is how bad is post op painwise and general yuckiness feeling wise. Thanks!

I don't see it as a problem as long as you have some one else that can drive your husband and yourself to and from --- or at least from -- where you get the procedure done because you are NOT allowed to drive yourself home after surgery.

Post-op pain varies from individual to individual, some have almost none & other get severe pain. I do not believe there is any way to tell how will react until after the fact. Just be prepared for the pain to go either way, good or bad.

For myself, I had some pain, but nothing too bad. I just needed to be on pain meds for 2 days. After that I was mostly weak and tired, and just needed to recuperate. The hardest thing at first for me was to be on the all liquid diet that was required. That alone required me to take 1 week off so I could adjust and feel comfortable and not deprived. It was all a matter of adjustment for me.

Good Luck!

Ewa

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

It turns out we can't both go same day, but we can one day after another. So we'll make sure we have a ride for both of us. Here's hoping we're on the not so bad side of pain. I'm a wimp. :D

Hey,

One other suggestion for you and your hubbie. Make sure you either have another adult at home during your recuperation time OR at least someone that can stop by occasionally. This is because neither of you will be able to drive & you need something, OR for some reason are in too much pain (which is doubtful, but you never know) you made need some to help you make your meals (pure clear liquids) or just to help you in what ever way you need around the house.

Just a suggestion, to play it safe. If it turns out you do not need the extra help, you can always let your "helper" know that they are not as needed as you thought they might be.

GOOD LUCK! Email me back & let me know how you and your husband did.

Hey LilMonkey!

I am also going through WLIA. How far along are you in the process?

Me:

Seminar: March 24

First appt: April 5

Nutritionist appt: April 10

PCP appt: April 17

Psych eval, EGD, chest x-ray, ultrasound: April 24

Hoping to be banded in May

I met with Mike the nutritionist yesterday, so today was my first official day of pre-op diet and exercise log. I am proud to report I did not cheat once! I ate six times like I was supposed to and had Protein each time. And.... I even went to the gym and worked out!

Are you in town? If you need anything, let me know. I bet it will be tough the first couple of days you and your husband are home. I'd be happy to help if you need a ride somewhere or something from the store.

Good luck!!!

Ewa,

Thanks! I've got my mom and my sister who both graciously offered to come over and help us. I'm hoping we won't need them, but it does make me feel better to know they're there. I'm hoping for may, so I'll let you know how it went. :)

SElaine,

We're finishing up our process and I'm hoping for May as well. We went for our first appt on March 9th.

My husband just had his upper GI today. I'm just waiting on the Well Woman exam. (blech) We both just need PCP clearance and we're all set for pre-op.

How's the food plan coming? My biggest worry was soda. I love my diet DP. But, I haven't had a soda, or any carbonation for that matter, since the 9th. It's actually surprising to me because I don't miss it. What I miss is having my drinks convientiently prepared for me in advance. :Banane01: Congrats on following everything so well, though!

We live in Chandler, but work pretty near to the WLIA, so it worked out pretty well. So far I'm pretty pleased. Everyone at the WLIA has been so supportive and helpful.

Thanks for offering! You know the same goes for you. Where are you located? It sounds like we might be getting banding around the same time, but if I'm able I'd be happy to help out if you need it. I definitely think that the more support you can build up, the better your outcome will be. :)

Hi LilMonkey,

I live in Gilbert near Gilbert and Warner. There is a support-group meeting Monday night. Are you going?

I've done pretty good with the food plan, but it's only been two days! I think I may have eaten too much for lunch, but Mike said not to worry about how much I'm eating, just how often, and to be sure I'm eating Protein each time. Did he give you the same advice? I used to drink soda occassionally, but not everyday, so that hasn't been too hard. I have been drinking caffeine free diet green tea instead, which he said was fine.

And yes, I agree with having support. I'm hoping I will be able to surround myself with positive, supportive people through this process. And nobody knows better than someone who's going through it with you.

Ewa,

How are you doing since you got your band? Do you feel you have recovered?

Hey SElaine:) ,

Thanks for asking about me! I'm doing fairly well. At this point I've lost 16 lbs, so not too bad. Personally I can barely tell any difference, except my face does look thinner. But my coworkers can definitely tell because they keep making positive comments about it, which is nice to hear.

I'm not really having issues with pain now, except sometimes the area where the port is will be kind-of painful, either to the touch, aching or just mild discomfort/pain. Luckily that has only happened a few time, so I haven't mentioned it to my doctor, because I don't think it is a big enough problem.

I am still adjusting to eating correctly for the lap band & have not yet gottem myself on regular planned meals ahead of time. I'm still kind-of playing by ear. I need to reread the info that my doc gave me about what I can eat, and just haven't gotten around to it since going back to work this week. I plan to this weekend.

One of the benefits of going back to work is that I do eat the correct food and portion size when there, because I'm so busy and in a hurry to get things accomplished at work, that I don't have time to be overthinking about food or wanting to eat. Plus I haven't even really felt that hungry during the day, although my stomach will grumble.

The eating time that I need to improve on is dinner. I definitely fell hungry around then. Unfortunately, my portions sizes have usually been too big & sometimes I eat too much. By eating too much, I am not referring to the same amount of food that I was able to eat prior to the lap-band. What I mean is that at dinner time I seem to be eating regular/normal sized portion of food, and sometimes the wrong foods (too high in fat and calories). That is something I'm definitely aware of, and I am trying to correct this self sabotaging behavior. Unfortunately, it is easier said then done, but I am making the effort.

I've also been lucky that I have not eaten to the point that I would throw up, but only to the point where I feel very bloated, the port area will somewhat hurt to the touch, and I get flushed and heated, like I'm almost going to break out in a sweat. Yesterday this happened again, and I think I've given myself a good enough scare that I will not hopefully overeat again. But of course, I also need to focus on eating the healthy, correct, and low calorie food. I'm slowing getting there. It is a definitely a process.

Also, I went to 2 different support group meeting this week, and they were quite helpful. I plan on continuing of going to them, because I believe they will help me stay on track, and also get back on track when I mess up.

Well, that is for the beginning of my novel :) maybe sometime I'll complete it, he, he.

SElaine,

That's actually pretty close to us. We're just down the street on McQueen. :) I don't think we'll be going to the support meetings for a bit. I do want to go eventually, but we're both in our last semester of college so it's crunch time for us! I think once we graduate at the end of this month we'll be able to focus more on the task at hand. How about you? Have you gone to any of them yet? I've been wondering how they are.

Ewa,

First off, you seem to be doing pretty well after surgery, congrats! I didn't realize you were so soon after op. What kind of groups are you going to? Were they through your surgeon's office or something else?

LilMonkey,

I am going to 2 different support groups. The first is offered by my surgeon, Dr. Terry Simpson. The second is actually one that is via another weight loss web site message board, Obesity Help, OH for short. You do not need to be a member for the OH support group, they welcome every one. They have meeting 2 times a month at the Chnadler Regional Hospital located at Dobson & Frye. They meet every 2nd Wednesday & every 4th Tuesday of each month. If you do not live too far away, it would be great to have both you and SELaine join the group. I enjoyed it & found it informative. If you do plan to be there some time, let me know, so I can look out for you.

LILMonkey, as soon as you finish with your classes, you definitely should start to go to support groups. I've read and been told by each support group that this is one of the key factors (going regularly to support groups) to people that are successful on their weight loss journey. Because, no matter which weight loss surgery you do, it is still just a TOOL. If you do not make changes in your diet and exercise, and get the emotional support needed, you will not be successful.

Yes, I definitely plan on being much more involved in the support community as soon as I possibly can. I do realize how important it is and as I want to be sucessful, it's important for me to make the commitments necessary to be sucessful.

I'll let you know, but we may be interested in attending the OH Support groups as well. Are they topic oriented each time, or is it just kind of general each time?

LilMonkey,

I've only attend the one OH support group meeting so far, but they seem to be a little of both a topic oriented meeting with some general added also. The support groups are actually run by the members. Once you are comfortable they ask you to sign up to sponser one of the meeting with a specific topic of your choice. I'm not ready to do that yet, but I should be maybe in another month or 2.

How is it going for you and your husband? Do you have your surgery day? I am wishing for the best for both of you.

Hi Julie,

I responded to you in another email thread, where you also recently asked me a question, so check that reply out.

I did have my surgery date on 3/28/07 & having been doing OK since then, but there is definitely areas I can improve upon, head hunger being one of my worst demons & of course exercising. But other than that both I and my husband are doing fine, although he did not have the surgery. He's too scared of surgery, even though he needed it more than I did. Instead he is trying to modify his eating habits along side with me. He stills needs to work on that better, but I'm hoping in the long run that this will work out for both of us.

Talk to you later!

Ewa (Ava)

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. It's been a hectic few weeks. My husband and I are scheduled for the 21st and 22nd of May! We're on day two of our 2 week liquid diet. We also quit smoking yesterday, so we've got a double whammy. It's been rough, but we're doing our best.

I'm feeling excited for the surgery, but also a pleathora of other emotions including self-doubt and some anxiety. Here's hoping my husband and I can make ourselves into success stories! ;)