Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just got the approval for the sleeve have a few questions

Hi my name is jennifer and i was just approved for the sleeve. i was actually going for the bypass, but the nurse made a mistake and put the sleeve down. after talking to herand finding out the doctor doesnt do the bypass anymore just the sleeve i had a choice to get the sleeve or be referred somewhere else. i decided after 5 years of trying to get the surgery, gone through several insurance companies and loopholes, i finally getthe approval on my first attempt with this insurance company i'm taking the sleeve lol. i know much about the bypass for both my parents had it done but not so much about the sleeve. what is the difference which one is better. my mom is ten years out my dad is 8 years out. my dad is thin like a rail my mom has some meat on her still. my mom is a grazer. my dad can eat eat eat and stay thin. i want to be medium not to thin but not fat anymore either. any answers will be great thank you

Have a look at this as a starter for ten..

http://www.realize.com/surgery-comparison

Have a browse of the myriad of threads regarding the differences, similarities and personal experiences with both.

Best way to form your own opinion is to read and discuss.

Well the biggest difference is that bypass creates a pouch roughly the size of an egg, and the whole 1st portion of your intestines gets bypassed so most of the weight loss is from malabsorption (and yadda yadda I'm sure you know all of this!).

With the sleeve, the surgeon REMOVES around 80% of your stomach (sometimes more). They then staple it closed and you are left with a little banana stomach (I've heard hot dog stomach too). Since there is no re-routing, there usually isn't malabsorption.

I don't think there is an answer to which is "better". You lose faster with bypass, but the weight loss averages to about the same as the sleeve in the long run. You can still swallow pills after the sleeve, whereas you won't be able to do that with bypass.

Most importantly, as with any bariatric surgery, the sleeve is a tool, not a solution. While the physical hunger might not be there, the head hunger will always linger. It's still up to you as to what ends up on your fork and down the hatch.

As long as you follow all guidelines and make this a lifestyle change, you will succeed. Best of luck to you!

First I like to congratulate you on your choice to be healthy, the above comments are true, but you can also research both on line on buy both the sleeve book and gastric bypass book they both are great I bought both. I had the choice yo get either one but my husband reminded me about all of the tums I pop from early ulcer so it was recommended. For me to get the bypass because the sleeves makes ulcers worse . Good luck .

Thank you that's what I wanted to know if I'm going to lose the same amount