Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally getting an un-fill tomorrow BUT….

I got a fill 2 weeks ago and it was a really aggressive one ( 0 cc to 2.5cc!) I told the doc I was tight he said to give it some time since I haven't been filled for over 2 ½ years I would experience some inflammation.

I have not been able to eat during the day until after 6 or 7pm and even then it has been tough. I get stuck more then eat and slime and I have developed a pain in my chest when I swallow, so I figured it's not inflammation but I'm too tight.

Off I go to get an slight un-fill tomorrow I'm just apprehensive because even though I'm too tight and that is not good for me and my band I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks!!

I guess I'm afraid that if I'm able to eat again I'll just gain the weight back. When I really should focus on eating better (albeit less) and exercise more.

I think just saying this makes me feel better. Thanks for listening :D

Overly tight bands cause more band complications than anything else. Don't gamble with your health. Have a little taken out.

Believe me, I know the feelings. I have had two unfills (one before I even left the hospital after surgery). And I understand your fears of gaining weight. But it is nice to be able to sit in my car with the seat belt on without pain. That's how tight my band was.

Tomorrow I am supposed to get a fill as it was scheduled a month ago. I will probably show up with a gain or at best, maintained. Previously, I was losing insane amounts of weight. I'll be honest -- I don't think I was learning anything except how to eat mushy foods.

I hope you feel better; Get it checked out.

I echo all the above posters' comments. Remember: our goal is to keep our bands for life, which means respecting them. I suspect much of the failure rates for lapbands are due to keeping them too tight. But I understand your fear. I'm now up 2 pounds from the day I had my partial unfill; that's one pound a week. I'm hoping this is just the normal thing happening when you drop a lot of weight under abnormal circumstances (you know, like when you have the stomach flu and are thrilled to see you lost 5 pounds...5 pounds which comes back on once you return to your normally-scheduled program). I know that I lost around 5 pounds in the two week period my stoma had closed up, so I guess this weight gain is just the rebound of that. I know I'm sticking to my usual diet, although with larger portions because I'm hungry all the time. I'm still not touching any of the stuff I stopped eating the day I got banded: bread, Pasta, white carbs in general.

My goal is to maintain my loss until I get my band filled back to my optimal level. I'm freaked out by this gain, but watching things closely because I sense this will even itself out and I'll maintain the weight I was at before this little complication set in. But I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I really really miss having my band at the proper fill level. I am very depressed being back in the dieter's mentality of always thinking about food.

I can breathe again!!! It's amazing how a slight .5 cc un-fill can make you feel so much better.

I didn't realize that being too tight was causing me difficulty breathing! Not like short of breath but I just wasn't inhaling as deep as I used to.

Before we started the doctor had me do a barium swallow, he felt that it flowed adequately through the band. I said yes at this time of the day (after 4pm) I am just starting to be able to drink, I'll be able to eat around 6 or 7pm. But anytime before that I can't even drink Water so essentially I am getting dehydrated throughout the day until after 7pm then I chug Water and am up all night going to the bathroom. NOT FUN! Plus who wants to eat at 7 or 8pm and go to sleep less then an hour later because they have to be up at 5am! -_-

It took a while for the Doc to find my port (he wasn't my normal Doc). He had a short needle, I laughed and asked if he really thought he could access my port with that. (I still have a good amount of tummy bulge). Of course being a doctor he said sure. He couldn't, and came back with a huge long needle. I said that'll do the trick. He looked at me like I was crazy. I have no phobia of needles. I am a trained phlebotomist and I knew that needle was too short. LOL

So after 4 pokes he finally got my port, and was able to withdraw some Fluid. He had me do another swallow and said .5 cc's looks good. (I said before we started that I'd probably only need .5 removed).

It's funny how we know our bodies best yet doctors think we don't. He was nice so I'll stop bashing him.

My son was there (he is 10) and thought it was super awesome to see the inside of me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I will see how I do in the morning. Will keep my portions in check, especially now that I don't have to depend on slider food to get nourishment!

Oh, funny when I got home and stepped out of the car I stood up I let out this gigantic burp! My husband looked at me and said "Your feeling better huh?" I hadn't been able to burp like that in over 2 weeks!

To be able to breathe and burp, wonderful things!!! :D ;) :)

Edited by Zeniada B

So glad you got relief. What you write here are all signs to me that you were too tight and I'm glad you listened to your body. I had that breathing thing, too, when I needed an unfill.

It's been 2 days since my un-fill. I'm feeling so much better now that I can eat and drink. No stuck episodes, sliming or PB'ing. I still get a strange pain when I swallow but it passes once the food goes by. (maybe a small hernia?)

I am definitely not as tight as I was and could possibly use more restriction but am good for now. I limit my portions even though I could easily eat A LOT.

Since I got used to eating later in the day I now have to make sure I STOP eating after dinner now that I can eat again throughout the day.

I've been logging my calorie and fat intake and have been able to stay under 1200 cal and still be satisfied. Retrain the mind, retrain the body…..

Edited by Zeniada B

I toally get the to restricted feeling. I just had that happen about a month ago. I went from 2cc to 5cc..and WOWZERS! TO MUCH!! went in ...took it down to 3cc..was fine after. Been a month..goin back for a fill..thinkin of only goin to 4cc..maybe 4.2cc. We'll see. But Im so happy that you got your figured out and your feeling better. Keep us updated on your progress. Best wishes to you Zeniada B

Lapbandchic73

That was an aggressive fill. I'm most comfortable with no more than a 1cc fill each visit, but I have a friend who's doc gave her 3cc's at once and she was fine. It usually takes my fills 3 weeks to fully "settle".

Okay…. about a week ago I got my un-fill and feel much better. Sadly I have put some pounds back on, but that is too be expected since gee I can EAT again!!

I'm able to recognized my soft stops better now and even though I want to eat everything on my plate I stop myself and push the food away (or hubby eats it LOL).

Hoping the scale starts moving in the right direction. On the other hand my pants fit better… ;)