Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told not to lose weight?

So, I have a six months waiting period before I can be approved for surgery. During those six months,I have to attend nutrition classes.

I just completed my third class. In those three months, I've lost 21 lbs. My nutritionist said that if I lose any more than a few pounds between now and the last class, I'll probably be denied coverage for the surgery. My starting BMI was 44.4. Now it's 40.8.

I've worked hard to drop those pounds.

Do I stop now, for the next three months and get the surgery? Or do I keep going and try to do it on my own (which I haven't ever been able to do in the past)?

I'm just so unsure, but I'm clearly at a crossroads.If I drop below 248 pounds, I'll be below that BMI threshold for surgery.

Personally Emaleth, I would take the advice of your nutrionist. I know some insurances are very picky on who they approve, luckily mine wasn't so strict. But having to wait 6 months would of made me crazy. So you need to weigh whether or not you will be able to keep off the weight you have lost already without fears of gaining it back. I was on such a yo-yo lifestyle this lap-band surgery was the only thing that I could of done to help me move forward and stay moving in that right direction. So dearheart search deep inside of yourself and make sure this is what you want...it is a different way to live. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. No matter what you chose that is fine...but if you choose to move forward with surgery, know there are a lot of us here to help you through the good and bad times. Take care and God bless

Thank you for your input.

I'm just still so indecisive. I ate more calories today and I felt like a pig.

Any one else have any input for me?

Thank you for your input.

I'm just still so indecisive. I ate more calories today and I felt like a pig.

Any one else have any input for me?

I'm in the same boat as you. I was at 40bmi. Told to not drop weight and instead I've gained 6lbs in 3 months. I feel horrible and want to go the other way. Hope time goes quickly. I'll be going in for surgery around July.

That's a tough one. You don't want to gain weight and be miserable while waiting for surgery but your chances of keeping the weight off are significantly higher of you have surgery. If it were me, I would just try to maintain the weight you have lost so far. I would probably wear boots and my "heaviest" clothes during your weigh ins, just in case!!

<p>So, I have a six months waiting period before I can be approved for surgery. During those six months,I have to attend nutrition classes.</p> <p> </p> <p>I just completed my third class. In those three months, I've lost 21 lbs. My nutritionist said that if I lose any more than a few pounds between now and the last class, I'll probably be denied coverage for the surgery. My starting BMI was 44.4. Now it's 40.8.</p> <p> </p> <p>I've worked hard to drop those pounds. </p> <p> </p> <p>Do I stop now, for the next three months and get the surgery? Or do I keep going and try to do it on my own (which I haven't ever been able to do in the past)?</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm just so unsure, but I'm clearly at a crossroads.If I drop below 248 pounds, I'll be below that BMI threshold for surgery.</p>

To stop or keep going is totally a decision u will have to make. For me I have always been successful losing weight but keeping it off was a whole different ball game. I feel the sleeve will be the tool to help me get the weight off and maintain it. I know it will still be work but with the added help I'm confident VSG is the best option for me.

Same with me. The most I've lost is 95lbs. At one time. Back on it came.

Same with me. The most I've lost is 95lbs. At one time. Back on it came.

When the pounds came back they alwaysssss brought a few friends with them so I end up weighing more than I did when I initially sought out to lose weight.

I was in the same boat. I only had 4 months to see the Dr. Then they would send in for approval. Well the first month I cut out fried food and soda. I lost 9lbs. The second month I cut the sweet tea and started eating healthier but I didn't cut everything (cause when I started my BMI was 42.7. ) The third month I cut the sugar . I lost more weight I felt good. Coming into the last month they told my BMI was 40.2 right on the mark of being approved to be careful. I had come to far to not go through with this. So going into December I enjoyed Christmas holiday meals. I still never had fried food, soda, sweet tea. But I ate what I wanted to. When I went back in January I gained about 5 lbs. I was sleeved 2/3/14. I've lost 57 lbs since I started. I feel great. Best decision I've made. Good luck with your decision.

I would check with your insurance company about what number they use. I did a six month program and the insurance company used my beginning weight of 362, with a a BMI of 46. By surgery I had lost 40 pounds and had no problem with approval. If you consider that the insurance company requires the six month program to ensure you are committed, can follow a plan and are properly prepared it makes sense

I'm in the same boat. My insurance says I have to wait 6 months (I'll have it in July) and I can't lose any weight. I'm at a 40.6 BMI and if I drop below 40 insurance covers nothing. I can live with myself at this weight for 4 more months because I know after that everything is going to change and I will be on the road to a healthier/happier me. My nutritionist doesn't have me on a diet or anything now because I can't lose weight, so I'm doing what I've always done. I have started working out more to build muscle to help with skin elasticity. Maybe working out will help you. It'll help relieve some of the stress and you know you are doing it for the better.

I'm in the same boat. My insurance says I have to wait 6 months (I'll have it in July) and I can't lose any weight. I'm at a 40.6 BMI and if I drop below 40 insurance covers nothing. I can live with myself at this weight for 4 more months because I know after that everything is going to change and I will be on the road to a healthier/happier me. My nutritionist doesn't have me on a diet or anything now because I can't lose weight, so I'm doing what I've always done. I have started working out more to build muscle to help with skin elasticity. Maybe working out will help you. It'll help relieve some of the stress and you know you are doing it for the better.

Yea I definitely need to hit the gym. I planned on going Saturday to hit the weights and the treadmill and tan. I feel better when I tan. Idk why but it feels like I'm thinner lol.

Thank you guys, so much! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only in this boat. It feels so stupid to drop 20 lbs and then just stop... but then I have to remember, I've lost 20 before, but gained it back. I want to be healthy for life!

I'm going to see if I can maintain this month, and then lose just a few more pounds. I've got 3 more weight-ins to go before approval.

Ugh, this wait is a killer!

So, I have a six months waiting period before I can be approved for surgery. During those six months,I have to attend nutrition classes.

I just completed my third class. In those three months, I've lost 21 lbs. My nutritionist said that if I lose any more than a few pounds between now and the last class, I'll probably be denied coverage for the surgery. My starting BMI was 44.4. Now it's 40.8.

I've worked hard to drop those pounds.

Do I stop now, for the next three months and get the surgery? Or do I keep going and try to do it on my own (which I haven't ever been able to do in the past)?

I'm just so unsure, but I'm clearly at a crossroads.If I drop below 248 pounds, I'll be below that BMI threshold for surgery.

To be honest, dont lose anymore and do the sleeve, my Doc said the same thing to me " yes you can lose so many kilos before surgery but can you keep them off forever" it seriously makes sense ive struggled for years and im sure you have too. Id rather put an end to my weight battle and do surgery.

Good luck with it all.

Im having mine on the 15th of April 2014 super excited