Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help... I am only 8 days post op and all I can think about this evening is that I am gonna fail at this.... did anyone else experience this?

I was worried that I would fail pre-op, but post-op, I was hurting too much to think about failure. :-P

Try to stay positive, take it easy on yourself, you just had major surgery, set small goals for yourself, start walking to keep your mind busy. You can do this

I belive that I too was going to fail I heard how other sleever lost 20 to 30 pounds or more when they went to their 3 weeks post-op check I thought to myself that I won't come close to 20 pound lost because of all the failed attempts in losing weight before. But after my three week check up I was happily surprise that I lost 25 pounds and that was on February 26th 2014. I'm coming upon my two months post-op anniversary April 4th. I do not know what my weight is as of today and I won't know what my weight will be untilI go for my 3 month check up and I won't check my weight after that. I know from past experience for myself that if I have not lost the pounds that I believe I should then I become very discourge. Althought I've been told that they notice I lost weight but I'm not tempted to check my weight and for some of the other sleevers they have not check their weight either and do not have any immediate plan to do so and some sleevers have been post op for at least a year they just know that they have stuck to their plan and have lost wight and have specifice time when they will go serious cloth shopping.

Kimmie

Define failure. You have already made steps to change your life by having surgery. That in itself is awesome. You are only 8 days post op so that means you are retaining Fluid and your sore tummy is swollen... you have not allowed yourself to succeed yet. Once you start losing weight, it gets exciting. You will lose, maybe quickly, maybe slowly, whichever doesn't really matter as long as you stick to the program. Any and all weight loss is success because you are doing something positive for your body and your health. Try to be positive, I know it's difficult the first two weeks out because you feel so dreadful, but I promise, it will get better and you will feel better with each pound you lose. Good luck.

Are you hungry? A lot of us experienced real hunger after a few days or a week, and we found we could drink LOTS of fluids etc...

I assure you that doesn't translate to food. When you start to tolerate more solid foods, you'll understand. You won't be as hungry, and you'll have that "full" feeling. And like ALL of us, you'll have days where you are One More Bite because it was SO tasty and then you physically feel like crap. You'll eat something you shouldn't have and feel guilt. And you will STILL be succeeding.

The two weeks pre-op is confusing and scary. I myself told my partner, almost in tears, how worried I was that I was so hungry for these foods and not feeling full from liquids. (DUH liquids don't make you feel full!). And then I ate two slices of lunchmeat one day (literally nothing else. Just two thin slices of boars head roast beef) and was like "oh god that was too much..."

Even on days that I feel like I "over-ate", I still am not eating even a THIRD of what I used to! I still have leftovers. I still push my plate away at restaurants with 4/5 of the food still on it, and I haven't even touched the separate sides! And I still am not eating dessert.... When "Before" I could have eaten that whole plate of food, both sides, and my own dessert, and maybe felt satisfied.

You will get there. It takes experience to see what we mean, and your stomach is too raw for that part just yet... But in a week or two you'll see that this is a good and incredibly effective tool if you listen to your body. ;)

Yes, I was one of those people who thought I was failing at this for the first month and a half. But trust me, you won't fail at this as long as you are staying in your portion guidelines. It doesn't seem like much at first, but after three or four months you will see how far you've come! It adds up really fast!

My biggest advice to you is not to weigh all the time. When we see only very small changes weighing every day, like 0.2 pounds, we can get really discouraged and its very hard to see just how quickly it adds up. "Ugh, ONLY another pound?" as opposed to "Wow, I lost 6 pounds in two weeks!" Don't know about you, but I'd rather see a 6 pound drop every few weeks than 0.2 pounds every morning! ;)

You WILL get through this and you WILL be successful!!!

Yes I too thought I failed, hearing from others how they lost anywhere between 20 -30 pounds maybe more, and frommy past experience I thought I wouldn't even clear 20 pounds. My 3 week post-op check lost 25 pound which I was happily surprise. I've talked too other people who had the sleeve that I know and for the most part they do not weight themselve only at ther check one person I know have not weight themselve in a year beside from the doctor checkup. I'll becoming up on my 2 months post-op surgery anniversary April 4th 2014, I was sleeved February 4th 2014. I have not weight myself since my 3 week cheCk which was on February 26th and will not gemp to find out until my 3 months checkup once that take place I won't weight myself. For me this will be my best options so I wont get discourage and disappointed. Then I will treat myelf to a shopping spree this June for nice summer outfits and Celebrate big for my birthday in September by shopping for more clothes. But one thing I can say for sure is that I have a lot more energy since my surgery I'm walking three to four times a week and work on my abs twice a week and do a little bit of yoga.

Oh gosh, im 6 months post op next week and I asked myself that very thing just tonight.

Why did that roll threw my head? Because I allowed myself a small piece of cake and I put some chocolate frosting on it.

To date I've lost 95 pounds, and have not made the effort to balance out my food better. I'm not so great at allowing the treats yet.

But I'm also a balls to the wall sort of lady. I don't balance the on plan stuff with the occasional treats. But I am trying.

For me, I think I will always have a tiny bit of that self doubt inside, but I've also been able to become friends with that part. Its my motovation to kick my own a $$ and keep seeing the pounds go down. Even if I do feel like I struggle the whole way down.

:)

I think it would be rare for someone to say they never had this feeling or fear. Be kind to yourself. Stop thinking about it and find something to distract you mentally while the physical part has time to heal.

Yes, I still think this. I am often quite sure I've already lost my last pound. I believe this fear is normal.