Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when you have an attack? Hopefully you're not in alot of pain!

I have NEVER had gallbladder issues. However, this past Friday I started feeling ill. By Saturday I was vomiting and had diarrhea and a fever. I was having severe abdominal pain and back pain. I assumed it was a stomach bug or trapped gas. Saturday morning I called the Dr. on call who suggested I take Gas-X. So I did, and nothing made it feel any better. In fact, I felt like I was in labor~ I still felt horrible on Sunday and thought if I didn't feel better by Monday, I would go into the Dr. However about 3am, was in such pain, I had my partner take me to the ER (something I would usually never do because of the cost of it). My white blood count was through the roof and an ultra sound showed my gallbladder full of gallstones. So, I had emergency surgery yesterday. I was discharged this am and while I am in pain, it doesn't compare to the pain I felt prior to surgery.

Back in the old days (1973) when they cut you half in two to do gallbladder surgery, I was taken to the E R with pains exactly like yours. I was misdiagnosed with ulcer pain for some reason, and they gave me some creamy stuff for doing some images. That threw my gallbladder in to spasms, and it ruptured, spewing stones all over my abdominal cavity. That hospital (St. Anthony's in Effingham, Illinois) nearly killed me. The surgeon said he had to "go fishing" to get them all. I was in the hospital for 11 days, and lucky to go home alive.

That is just a caveat for you to immediately stop eating anything rich or creamy or cheesy or spicy. Your gallbladder is having a hard time processing fats right now, and needs to be babied. If you need to have surgery get it done sooner than later. If done in time, they can do it laparospically and the consequences are a lot less to deal with. We are talking two days stay or maybe even outpatient depending on how you recover.

Just don't try to be brave and soldier through it. All I could do when the pain hit was to lay bareback on the cold bathroom floor so that the tiles were like an ice pack. Yeah, I thought I was giving birth to a watermelon through my shoulderblades.

Does anyone have any ongoing issues with their gallbladder. I had an attack last night and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am 8 months out. About 6 months I started having a dull pain on my right side. It was about a 4 or 5 on pain scale. I called my doc because I had heard of others having gallbladder issues after loosing weight. I went in and did ultra sound and yes I had 2 very large gall stones. I was told I had to have another surgery. I read for weeks and really did not want to end up in the er with a major attack. So a month ago I went in and had it removed. I have heard the attacks can get worse so I am glad it is gone. I had no issues. The recovery was about 7 days for me. Also it was in and out same day.

Gallbladder attacks range, but can be very intense, scary and painful. My wife is actually in the hospital now after calling 911.

Chest pain and vomiting like a heart attack ended up being a gallbladder stone and infection!! Fear of it spreading to liver and pancreas is cause immediate surgery for removal.

I started having gall bladder attacks when I was 20 and thin. They were definitely brought on after eating a meal with too much fat, but I had to be careful with fatty Proteins like steak too. My stones were very small, but plentiful and I was able to manage the problem for years. Sometimes though the stones would bunch up and block the duct. My pain was caused from undigested food sitting in my stomach too long because bile wasn't being released, so cleaning out the tummy with ipecac Syrup did the trick until my health coverage kicked in and covered the pre existing gallbladder condition.

My wife has had no prior history, and has low cholesterol. However, I do drink more Water than her if it is related.

The doctors say that the gallbladder removal is a relatively common procedure. In fact his (the doctor's himself) was removed years ago.