Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Surgery/Sleep Apnea Nightmare/Help!

Anyone and everyone please help! I had my surgery consult and my doc said he wasn't requiring me to get a sleep study but as my insurance had already covered it I went ahead. Sleep study revealed I have severe sleep apnea and now I'm supposed to wear the cpap machine but I have anxiety anyway and the thing sent me into a full blown panic attack and I fled the machine fitting sleep study. I'm going to keep trying but if I can't do this I'm afraid I won't be able to have the surgery. I emailed my surgeon for his thoughts but just really need some support from all of you. I've had such angst over this whole thing so please be gentle in your responses. Just get over it or you have to do this is not what I can hear right now. I assume my surgeon wasn't going to have me do this because he recognizes that obesity and sleep apnea go hand in hand. Anyone have similar experiences to share or words of encouragement? I'm just beside myself with this. Thanks.

I also have sleep apnea and a CPAP machine which I just hate. It is on my night stand and some nights it gets used all night, but most nights it is collecting dust. It is not something you can just get over or adjust to it takes time. What I do every night is I put the machine and mask on while I watch the 11 o'clock news. Some nights I fall a sleep with it on and some nights I don't. I realize everything I have read as far as Gastric Sleeve is that we will need our CPAP machine during surgery. I have had several major stomach surgeries in the past and at a higher weight than I am now. I always brought the machine and mask to the hospital and not once has the anesthesiologist made me use my CPAP. Wait till your surgeon get back to you. It should be up to your Dr and the anesthesiologist. Try not to get worked up about this until you hear back and then worry if it is warranted. Best of luck

Hi. I had severe obstructive sleep apnea years ago which required surgery. I came out of surgery and did well for several years but over time my weight crept up and it came back. I was on a Capp machine for several years. I could only tolerate the mask for a couple of hours at a time but I knew I needed it. So it was off and on all night. Wear a while take it off and rest and then try again. It does take getting used to. I had my gastric sleeve surgery July 8 th, 2013, have lost 176 pounds and have not touched my Cpap machine since July 8 th.. So when your weight comes down you must likely wont need it any more. Something to look forward to.

Thank you all for your responses. I know probably working this up in my head to be much bigger than it is especially since I fled the sleep study after trying each type of mask for no more than 15 seconds at a time, including the nasal pillows, and now I'm agonizing about going back to meet with the respiratory therapist for a mask fitting. I think I'm clearly going to have to take baby steps to work up to a full night sleep study. I just can't imagine wearing the thing all night but I like the idea of being able to take it home and get used to it at my own pace. Sigh, I'm a control freak so this is a big hurdle for me. ????

I too had the sleep study and yes..had to get a CPAP. I knew what was in store because My hubs has to use one. As I have lost weight, I have not been using it and it too is collecting dust on the shelf. My husband tell me that I do not snore like I did before surgery.

Let your doctor tell you what you need to do. It does take some getting used to however you will get used to it. If it helps, just from my experience, I used the mask that simply fits over your nose, not covering your whole face. It lets you feel less claustophrobic.

HI, i had my sleep study Friday night, halfway through the night the sleep tech came in and put the nasal pillows on me. I slept better after that. i am not thrilled to need a CPAP but, my surgeon requires it be used before surgery and in the hospital. So i will be getting used to it. And I wake up with a headache and exhausted everyday for a few years most nights so I think it is worth it. My father who also would benefit from surgery has used one since 2005 & said it changed his life and saved his marriage. So i figure I can do it. What choice do i have? I want better sleep and surgery so I guess I will use it. Try listening to calming music while wearing it, in the study it sure helped me. Take care, Bethany 26

Bethany did you end up choosing the nasal pillows? Are you typically a nose breather or mouth breather at night? Thanks for the reply! Part of my problem as a control freak is fighting the voice that says what choice do I have...lol

Hi Cathy, I just wore the nasal pillows during my initial sleep eval. I still have to meet with the neurologist who is the sleep doctor to get my results and recommendations. I am not a mouth breather or a control freak but am claustrophobic and not keep on having my "face covered" by a mask I think I'd go into full panic attack then. :) I will keep you posted. I do not have my surgery scheduled yet, but i have completed all the diagnostics now and behavioral health & nutrition evals so I am on my way. If i just had motivation to eat more healthy with good compliance I would be further along. Take care, Bethany

Anyone and everyone please help! I had my surgery consult and my doc said he wasn't requiring me to get a sleep study but as my insurance had already covered it I went ahead. sleep study revealed I have severe sleep apnea and now I'm supposed to wear the cpap machine but I have anxiety anyway and the thing sent me into a full blown panic attack and I fled the machine fitting sleep study. I'm going to keep trying but if I can't do this I'm afraid I won't be able to have the surgery. I emailed my surgeon for his thoughts but just really need some support from all of you. I've had such angst over this whole thing so please be gentle in your responses. Just get over it or you have to do this is not what I can hear right now. I assume my surgeon wasn't going to have me do this because he recognizes that obesity and sleep apnea go hand in hand. Anyone have similar experiences to share or words of encouragement? I'm just beside myself with this. Thanks.

My husband tried several of the face coverings (about 6). He rejected each til he got one that just covers his nose. It works great! Look at them online possibly. These can be ordered by the company if they don't have it.

I have sleep apnea. I adore my CPAP. I miss using it. I stopped after surgery 7 weeks ago, to see how it goes.... But for the last 2 weeks I want to be back on it. I need to get some new parts and just haven't done it yet.

I got my CPAP in 2011. I am a mouth-breather so I need a full face mask. I feel like the mask has trained me to think "whew I can sleep now". I snore incredibly loudly when I'm not using it.... Probably damaging my kid's hearing (I cosleep with my toddler)....

Yes the very first night is hard, and the humidity was up so high on it I felt like I was swimming... But I SLEEP SO WELL and I don't nap as often.

Proper sleep helps your brain function optimally.

Your brain uses about 30% of your daily calories.

Better brain power means better caloric burn.

I had to try a lot of different masks before I found one that didn't freak me out. I use nasal pillows. Also,for a while I had to take anxiety or sleep meds to help me get over the initial anxiety and also to knock me out enough to not take the mask off when our was asleep, which I did all the time. It sucked to get used to, but after using it religiously since November 2012, I have so much more energy and I'm sure my husband and heart appreciate it.