Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 13 post op and increasing pain

Thanks for reading: I am 13 days post op today. Until yesterday morning, I was feeling pretty good. I went out to lunch and had potato and leak Soup - unfortunately it wasn't in a measured bowl and I believe I overate. I didn't get my usual hiccups that I get when I overeat, but the person who I was at lunch with says we definitely were not there for more 20 mins (I was told to take 30 - 45 mins to eat / sip food). I was fine on the way home, then about 1 and a half hours later I started to get terrible pain (like irritable bowel syndrome pain) and I put it down to the leak in the soup. I was quite ill sitting on the toilet while having a bowl in my lap in case i threw up. Whenever I feel nauseas, I always feel like I have something caught in my throat (since the operation). This episode made me quite tired and I sipped some Water in the evening then went to bed. Normally I lay on my left or right side, but last night I could not do this as it felt like my stomach was bending in half. I woke after midnight and was quite dry so took a sip of water as I usually do but could not go back to sleep as I started to get constant pain beneath the sternum. Even laying on my back was uncomfortable so i tried sitting up, which was also uncomfortable. Then this morning, trying to ignore the pain (3/10 type pain), I had Breakfast which was extremely painful to take. Throughout the morning I have had a couple of episodes of very slight left should tip pain (I did not previously have this at all - even day 1 post op). I tried to ignore the pain and took my dog to the park, but with every step, it felt like my whole sternum was lifting up and down so I came home. I know I will not even manage 500mls of Fluid today, because it is too painful to swallow (the pain is similar to the initial pain I had when I first started drinking post op - which is almost like air and food trying to swap places in my oesophagus.

Background information: *I had 2 x days post op vomiting that the nurses and drs could not get under control *felt fine until yesterday *after my initial two days of vomiting post op, I swallowed fluids / Soups with minimal gas type pains but since day 8 post op, didn't have any problems swallowing foods *have NO temperature *have had oral thrush for past 7 days, despite using nilstat, mouth wash and chewing gum to try and get rid of it *I have been walking everyday for between 30 - 60 minutes

I want to know if anyone else has felt pretty good, then a week or two post op, started to feel worse. I am not sure what is going on and would really appreciate anyone's advice or other people's stories of funny pain like this.

Thanks

Edited by BJay

you should be careful.Its a major operation and the stomach needs time to heal.Thats why we have to follow the diet strictly.and also take adequate rest. maybe the food you ate didnt agree with you.Since you were unwell earlier its all the more important to be careful. the sleeve needs time to heal.

all the best.

Edited by hopeful2 be slim

I don't have any stories of funny pain. I think you should contact your surgeon's office and get their advice if this either continues getting worse today or doesn't resolve by Monday.

I know that potato Soup usually has celery. No celery post op, leeks may be similar. I had two very similar attacks back to back, evening time post op 13 days, brought me to tears., couldn't breathe. Serious. Thought it could be heart, tore my staples, who knows. Very scary. My nurse said after being fussed at for not going to ER, probably food and severe gas pains. Mine went from under sternum left breast to shoulder. Increase Water, take Miralax with warm tea, walk, walk, walk, my instructions have no celery, corn or Aspargus. It subsided but now I am much more attentive to everything I put in my mouth.