Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've officially crossed that one-month post-op period; was sleeved on February 28th and have already dropped down almost 10 KG.

I've been eating right in terms of the liquid to mushy food diet. Though I have been trying to intake other forms of foods to see what my tolerance is...My body has rejected any form of chocolate of over-sugared sweets as well as fried foods (which I am soooo happy about).

Today, I thought that since I am tolerating new foods so well, it would be OK for me to try eating out...

BIG MISTAKE. :mellow:

Just I am thanking GOD that whatever I ate, didn't resurface while I was out at the mall. :mellow:

Had some sushi, a little bit of frozen yogurt, a buttermilk drink, a little bit of a grilled rib piece, and then a little tiny bit of a New Zealand burger minus the bun.

I've never experienced so much pain before. Like, it is seriously much worse than the post-surgery pain. I would rather go through that pain all over again, than to experience the pains of the stomach rejecting any form of food.

I thought I was doing just fine with my post-op(ness) and could shove anything into my mouth. I know that I need to learn to just take things SLOW. And that's hard. Because I was so used to just piling everything into my mouth almost systematically.

I guess the point to this post, would be to LISTEN. Listen to whatever your nutritionist or surgeon has instructed you on...and don't'always assume that since at the time of eating - you don't feel anything..be sure that it will most definitely come to you again.

Gotta strive to just get used to doing things slowly....

WOW! You are quite adventurous for only a month out. :) chocolate? Fried foods? Ribs? Sushi?

I don't think I ventured into those territories for at least six months and I've still not had anything fried at 10.5 months out. Your doctor must have a VERY progressive eating plan for you. I was on soft foods through week 6 and was then cleared to start trying new things after that.

Good luck to you!

Edited by LipstickLady

You are quite the pioneer LOL. Glad you learned from this and are willing to share your experience. It's so hard in the beginning figuring out what works. When I ate out early on it was eggs, cottage cheese, egg drop Soup, and a bit later on I could handle refried Beans, chili, sashimi (no rice like sushi,) mashed cauliflower and the like. Best of luck to you.

I just can't imagine any surgeon who would ok sugary foods, fried foods or rice, especially so soon. What else is on your eating plan?

Edited by LipstickLady

Adventurous eating for sure!

You're only one month post-op - you're still recovering and healing. Pushing the envelope can cause issues.

You may think it's silly, but i agree with Lipstick...you (and anyone reading this thread) should follow your doctor's plan for introducing new foods.

Best of luck to you.

It may not only be the type of food, but the quantity. A" little tiny bit" may seem REALLY tiny when compared to what we once ate, but at 1 month out, more than an ounce or 2 was far too much for me. In fact, I still typically eat no more than a half cup of anything. I would recommend carrying a measuring cup in a zip log bag, and throwing a small digital scale in your purse if you must eat out. (Yes, I am totally serious!) :) My eyes are always bigger than my sleeve, and I never measure it correctly just by sight. But by all means, take it slow, and yes, listen to your nutritionist and medical team. Overdoing it can cause a rupture of your internal incisions--which is extremely dangerous. It will take a few more months to be completely healed.

Another thing that happens when you eat out (this happened to me as recently as Monday...), you may eat faster when out and about, not to mention more.

I use an app called Eat Slower on my phone - I set it to chime every minute, that's your cue to take a bite. This will slow you down and remind you to chew, chew and chew some more. The other night when we went out to eat, I didn't use it and I didn't measure out my food. I ate fast and too much - it was painful and I didn't feel good for hours.

Wow...I was sleeved on Oct 7th and still haven't tried any of those things. You are brave. I still am bashful when it comes to trying some things.

I was giving a chart to what to eat when and still am slow to try some new stuff. I eat what I know doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Your stomach can hold way less than mine can at this point so perhaps you should pull back on the amounts you eat, especially eating out.

Good luck and it's a journey where you learn as you go.

Something that just occurred to me is that just because sugar and fried foods don't sit well right now, it does not mean they will always be foods that cause discomfort. Now that I am over 3 months out, I know my tolerances have increased--but I choose not to try trigger foods that are unhealthy and the source of my former weight problems. I am not judging you at all, just wanted you to know that the next time you taste taboo tasties, you may find that you feel just fine. The sleeve is not the same as the bypass--it will eventually allow you to eat most of the things that caused problems in your past.

Good luck!

I am four months out...I have yet to find a food that doesn't agree with me. That's a double edged sword.

Just because I can eat anything, doesn't mean I should. Please, please, please, make sure you follow the rules your doctor sets forth - they are there for a reason.

Rice? Nope, that's only just reappeared 6 months out.

Fried food? I may have one-two single, solitary fries. Fried chicken/Fish/prawn toasts? Hell-to-the-no!

White chocolate - HELL-TO-THE-NO!!!

I don't know whether it's applicable to everyone, but it is for me. I get a bit nervous almost when eating out. Even now. I fret that I might order the wrong thing, might eat too quickly, not chew thoroughly enough.

When I'm at home, I eat as I should; so I eat slowly, chew well and because of that, the whole process is more relaxed (I can screw up my face if I've got something lodged in the wrong place and walk around rubbing my sternum until the offending article has been dislodged!)- and I can sadly eat a lot more!

Consequently, the rule of thumb for me whilst out is 'keep it simple, stupid'. So I'll go for something I absolutely know I can tolerate. If it comes with something fried on the side - I leave it. Could it come with a rich cream sauce that would make me bilious and over produce acid, making me grossly uncomfortable? I leave it. Is it hard-core Protein potentially gonna be served on the dry side? I leave it.

You know you 'gave it a try' and it didn't really pay off. As has been said, try not to rush forward too soon - primarily for all the reasons above, but it could either make you uncomfortable or at worst, do you harm.

The most important thing is that you didn't do yourself any harm, or embarrass yourself - you just got a bit sickly.

Lesson learnt for a bit? As dull as it is, those food plans are given to you for a reason. Because of something similar which happened to me with hard-core Protein (a mouthful of steak at about 9 weeks out), I decided to leave all the 'ooh, maybe I'll try that' for when I was at home. That way I could make all the weird facial expressions, conduct all the arm waving/flapping/sternum rubbing, deep breathing I needed to do with no fear of embarrassment.

Well, other than that of my partner laughing at me from time to time.

You got this :)