Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One step closer...my story

I discovered this site when I was trying to find other people like me, who are converting from the lap band to the sleeve. I was amazed to learn just how many of "us" there are! For so long I felt like a failure, and that I just didn't work hard enough, or that I just never learned how to use my tool. I got my lap band November 1st, 2010, and lost 17 pounds during the 2-week pre-op stage, and then another 5-10 pounds the first week post-op. But from there, I really had to work hard to lose anymore weight. I was going to the gym at least 3x per week, I was careful to follow all the rules about not eating/drinking, chewing slowly, but didn't have any restriction and was always hungry. My surgeon was only filling my band with .5 cc's of Fluid at a time. Before I knew it, it was 3 years later and I'd only lost a total of 40 pounds (but that includes the 25 I dropped at the very beginning during add-on and the immediate weeks that followed), and I had about 8 cc's of fluid in my band that only holds 9 cc's! I couldn't eat hardly anything and was constantly getting food stuck. I was absolutely miserable, and too embarassed and frustrated to go back to the surgeon so I just dealt with it. Then, my employer added weight loss surgery to our covered benefits as of January, 2014 and I decided to look into whether it was possible to get the band removed and convert to the sleeve. My first appointment with the new surgeon /bariatric office was early March, and just yesterday I got the call from the hospital coordinators that I received approval from my insurance company. Now, I am just waiting for the surgeons office to finalize my chart, and I will have my surgery scheduled. I am both nervous and excited, and my biggest fear is that this procedure will also fail...but the more I come here to this site, and read all of your success stories, the more confident I get.

Hi My2bys9799, Its good to have you here. Congratulations on your acceptance for surgery. I don't have any personal experience with the band but I am 7 weeks post-op from Sleeve surgery and I am just as excited about it now as I was in the waiting period before hand. It is an amazing tool. I am losing weight but I exercise 5 days a week and I stick to my eating plan. In all of the posters I have seen on this board I think I've only read one time where a poster said they weren't losing weight with the sleeve. I honestly don't see how but that is what they posted. Unlike your band, the sleeve is a permanent change to your anatomy and you will need to alter your eating habits for life. If you are willing to do that, this is definitely going to work for you and you will be so pleased with your progress. The first 2 to 3 weeks are not really too much fun but its worth it and in the over all scheme of things, what is 2 or 3 weeks? After all if it will give you a healthy weight for the rest of your life it is a small price to pay. You will be successful at this and you will have lots of support here so come often and post much.

• 1Day1Life4Now, thank you so much for your reply, and encouragement! Congratulations on almost reaching two months post-op, and for your success so far! Can you share any helpful information on which Protein powder or shake you used, or what eating plan you have found works for you?

my2bys9799,

I alternate between the Premier Protein shakes and the Atkins shakes. The Premier has 30 grams of Protein and the Atkins only has 15 grams. Both come in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. I also use the Unjury in smoothies I make at home. I purchased the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies Book and it provides a lot of good meal ideas and also provides quite a few recipes. My surgeon's office gave me a book regarding the meal plan but that was not given to me until I went through the nutritional counseling two weeks before surgery. Yours will probably do the same. You have to find things you will eat/drink and your tastes will change. I know a lot of people on this site use the Isopure drinks. They are very high in protein but I can't stand the taste of them. I just don't want to spend money on things I don't like and I will not force myself to drink something that tastes bad to me. You might enjoy the taste so you might want to try one sometime. I am on full foods now but I still drink the shakes to insure that I get all my protein in each day. I'm still struggling with the 64 ounces of Water but I do try. Anything I can help you with, just let me know. You can private message me anytime. You are going to love this sleeve so much more than the band. Its going to change your life and you are definitely going to lose weight. You will want to kick yourself in the behind for waiting so long. ha ha. Janet