Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you set up a will for your family?

So, while filling out paperwork at the doctors office, I noticed they mentioned if I had a will. This question didn't scare me, but made me think, I probably should get one, because you NEVER know what could happen. I mean, surgery could go great, but what if I died in a car accident on the way home from the hospital.

My question is, did anyone fill out a will before they received WLS? How did you go about it?

I already had a will in place, but I did tell my BFF that, should I die in surgery, she should go to my closet where my private paper journals are hidden, and destroy them all. It's one thing to have a public blog, but I'd hate for anyone (especially my children) to read my paper journals, which date back to my college years! How embarassing would that be?

I did a simple half-a$$ non-legally binding type 'wish-list' and emailed that to my parents. I did update my beneficiary information online. I'm not legally married so the state would go to my parents as next of kin. So I told my parents what I wanted in a written communication.

I understand the importance of having a will. My husband passed away years ago and his will was up to date and at least that part of it was easy when everything else was so hard. I wanted to make sure I did the same so my children wouldn't have to deal with anything so I've had a will for years, and have updated it as needed. Doesn't mean I want to die, or expect to die...but it is peace of mind just in case.

What an important question! About 5 years ago, I read a book by Suze Orman called "Ask Suze about Wills and Trusts". It was such an easy book to read. After that, I set up a Revocable Living Trust and all my insurance, bank accts etc have the beneficiary listed as the Trust. That way, I just change the beneficiaries on the trust documents when I want to, and it's divided through that. The Trust handles the financial stuff.

Then, I have power of attorney documents, personal property distribution, and a Last Will and Testament which lists out who my kid is and who his guardian should be, and the powers that my mom has as the executor of the trust.

The most important document (when thinking about any surgery) is the Advance Health Care directive, or Living Will. This indicates your end-of-life decisions and whether you want to be on life support, or get a second opinion, etc. This is really important because you don't want to burden your loved ones from trying to remember what you wanted. I had this long before even considering surgery, but I was glad I could say yes when the hospital asked me.

Everyday I feel relieved that this binder of documents is in place "just in case" (my mom also has a copy). I did these all myself online, and then got them notarized. (You have to for it to be a legal trust recognized in court) I think LegalZoom.com offers this. You have to do it specific to your state. It sounds complicated but it really isn't.

I highly suggest everyone at least write down your advance directive (living will) and give it to a trusted love one. It's good peace of mind.

- K

my hub and i had a will made up years ago

it is something that simply needs to be done as we all will need it/one

you can go to a lawyer and have it drawn up

or you can go online on different sites and do it.

here is some for example:

http://www.doyourownwill.com/

http://www.freewillstoprint.com/Writing-Wills.html

Thanks guys! I'm still pretty young (26) and have only had anything worth any value in the last few years, which is my house. I had never thought about a will before, but I want everything to go to my finance if anything happens, rather than have my parents decide, since they don't really play a huge roll in my life.

I will def look into a living will, as well, because I don't want my love ones to be scared about what decision to make if anything goes wrong.

Thanks guys! I'm still pretty young (26) and have only had anything worth any value in the last few years, which is my house. I had never thought about a will before, but I want everything to go to my finance if anything happens, rather than have my parents decide, since they don't really play a huge roll in my life.

I will def look into a living will, as well, because I don't want my love ones to be scared about what decision to make if anything goes wrong.

If you don't want to do a complete Estate Planning with a Trust, you can simply set up your deed to the house as "Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship (JTWOS)" with your fiance. That way, if you pass on, the fiance gets the house no questions asked. And you get the house, if he passes. That's how we have our house. (My boyfriend and I are not married). You avoid probate which costs money, and your parents may contest your wishes if they aren't formal. It's a pretty easy thing to do.

Good luck!

- K

Edited by kayzoog

I am 30 and have seen lots of people pass away all around me. I took the opportunity, through my work, to purchase additional life insurance. You're right. We never know what could happen to us at any moment in our life. I don't have an exact "will" but I have made it known to my family that I have a life insurance poilcy and who is to get what percent of my benefits. I spoke with the people who are on my life insurance policy and made sure that they know how to distribute the money incase anything were to ever happen to me.

This is kind of a scary reality, but I think it is good to be prepared, regardless of where we are at in life.