Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I remain a Vegan after lap band?

Can I remain a Vegan after lap band? I am seriously considering surgery but can't imagine consuming animal products. Any Vegan banders out there? Thanks!

As a Vegan you may know more about nutrition than most people. I am not Vegan but I eat a lot of nuts (almonds, walnuts especially) and Beans as part of my banded life. Every one is different. Have you searched "Vegan" on the forum -- I imagine there are some good threads out there for you. Good luck!

We do have vegans on this site. Just remember to get your Protein whichever way that you currently do. We have a host who doesn't eat meat anylonger, too!I would advise you of his name, but he has taken a sabbatical from the site.

I am a vegan and four years post op. I have done well. You don't have to consume animal Proteins to get healthy from the band. Mostly all the things that vegans eat are no different with the band. What do you normally eat that you feel you would have an issue with. The band does not reroute anything so you will take in the same amount of nutrients as if you didn't have it. I just eat more frequently.

<p>I am a vegan and four years post op. I have done well. You don't have to consume animal Proteins to get healthy from the band. Mostly all the things that vegans eat are no different with the band. What do you normally eat that you feel you would have an issue with. The band does not reroute anything so you will take in the same amount of nutrients as if you didn't have it. I just eat more frequently.</p>

Thanks, I was hesitant to discuss with Dr. thinking he would not want to do the surgery!

So glad I found this app. I will keep you all posted as my plans are firmed up :)

Cheryl, of course, duh! She's got some great recipes, too (hi Cheryl). I so get the not wanting to tip off the surgeon to anything "alternative" -- you'll get through this process but I so remember all those worries. Best wishes!

i used to be a big meat eater but now fish and chicken does it for me and even those are losing their draw. i love vegan products and since my granddaughter is severely allergic to eggs i am more aware of vegan eating and i enjoy it. i still need to get a book and cook book for vegan eating. i need to be more educated on the subject. i do enjoy when Cheryl gives us some recipes. i don't know how my doctor would feel about this. they are so tuned into animal Protein.

It is true that we need animal Proteins for B-12 Vitamins, however there are many other Proteins that you can eat besides meat. I have been B-12 deficient because I do not eat meat but I was on a short term regimen of B-12 shots which can't hurt anyone and now I take sublingual ones. Other then that as we get older our need for meat becomes less.