Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gotta make a run to Kentucky

Hello all you lovely people: Just wanted to give you a heads up. I am frantically making travel plans and now gotta go pack my freshly unpacked suitcase for yet another trip. My mom sent me an email this morning and said her father-in-law just passed away. This would be my step father's father. I was so scared of this man growing up. He was 95 years old and meaner than dirt. But she is so weak from her health related issues that she can't deal with the funeral arrangments so I am on a plane bright and early in the morning.

She has this condition called AVM (arterio-venous malformation) on her large colon. When she has a colonoscopy it looks like a birthmark. IT really is lots of blood vessels in one congested area. NOT A TUMOR but bad enough. When it gets aggravated (not sure what causes that) the blood vessels burst and she hemorhages. She has been doing this for the last two days. She is weak and her potassium is low. So Off to Kentucky I go to take her to the doctor and to help with the funeral plans. SIGH!!

I will not be online too much checking in. So if you don't see me for a few days then that is why. I will have my laptop with me so I will check in when I can.

Penni - My thoughts and prayers are with you. Have a safe trip and take care of your Mom. I know how hard it is when a parent is ill. Please keep us posted.

Hugs to you!

Betty

My prayers are with you and your's Penni, I hope everything goes better than you expect. good luck and godspeed

Penni,

I am sorry to hear about your mom's illness and the passing of her father-in-law. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I hope your mom is feeling better soon. You are a remarkable person to be there for your mom even when you live so far away.

Take Care,

Penni,

Mom is fortunate to have such a caring daughter. Please have a safe trip. Give Mom hugs and assure her that everything will be O.K.

Take care!

Tricia

Penni sorry to hear the news.

I hope everything out in Kentucky goes well for you and your family. We will be thinking of you & missing you

Thanks for all the kind words and support.

Funeral today: Ever notice that the first three letters in that word is FUN. Just what is FUN about a funeral? LOL!! Well listening to the pastor do the Eulogy today would make you think of FUN in a strange sorta way. He started the speech saying "I have several great grandkids and can never remember their names." Now did I miss something or was this a eulogy about my step father's father? HMMM?!! He then started a sermon on the correlation between "shadows" and death and dying. NOTHING about the man that died or his life at ALL. NOTHING I TELL YOU.

HOwever my step father and Mom both thought he did a GREAT job. OH WELL!! My daughter and I both thought he was boring and made NO sense. LOL!!

I might have mislead some of you to think that my step father was the mean one but in actuality it was his father that was the mean one. I love my step father and consider him my father since my own dad wasn't around much at all. My step father has been my father figure since I was 9 yrs old. He sat with me when I was in the hospital with double pneumonia and had a bad kidney infection when I was 10 yrs old. I was in the hospital for 12 days and he was there the whole time when my Mom had to work. His father, the one that passed, was a devil incarnate. EVIL EVIL man. I was scared of him.

My step father, Keith, broke down several times during the funeral. I cannot stand to see a big strong hunk of a man cry. It kills me. I had to support him on several occasions. I walked into the funeral home this morning before the services and he practically ran into my arms and broke down. He introduces me as his daughter.

After the services we went to the cemetery and again he broke down. It was a fast service thank goodness. I took Keith and Mom back to the house and then my daughter, ALicia, and I went to get some food for them.

My mom is getting really weak now. I am really concerned about her health. She goes for her colonoscopy on Friday morning. I plan on being there to speak to the surgeon performing the procedure. I need to know if I can come home as planned on MOnday or If I need to change my plans. I do not have a good feeling at all.

I will keep you posted.

So sorry to hear of all your having to endure right now Penni. Know that you and yours are in my prayers. You be good to yourself and have some alone time or whatever you do to replenish your reserves. Sounds like your having to be real strong for your loved ones and I pray you'll pull thru like a champ!

Max Lucado said something once and I'll share it with you if you don't mind(like you can object right now)

If God had a refrigerator,your picture would be on it.

If God had a wallet, your photo would be in it.

He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning.

When you want to talk, He'll listen.

He could live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart.

And that Christmas gift He sent you in Bethleham?

Face it, friend, hes crazy about you!

You can't give anything away if your own tank is empty!

Penni,

Sending prayers and lots of (((hugs))). My heart goes out to you and to your Mom and Step-Dad. I am very close to my Mom and can only imagine how I would feel if she were to become very ill. It's probably one of my worst fears. You are obviously a very kind, caring and loving daughter... wishing you a safe return home.

Darcy

Penni -

My heart breaks for your step-father - I am so glad that you are able to be there for your folks when they need you.

Sending all my best wishes and thoughts for your Mom's health.

**hugs**

Penni,

Take care and my prayers are with you and and your family. What a lot to deal with. Take care of you too, you need to replenish your energy so you can take care of others. So don't forget about "you".

Sending prayers and hugs your way.

vicki in indy

Penni,

I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope all goes well for your mom. Please be sure to take care of you, too. (((Hugs)))

Hello guys:

Just got back from Kentucky. Mom had her colonoscopy today. Well they tried to do the thing. Her colon is pretty tight in that one section that they wanted to try to view and they could not get a pediatric scope through. So they did not try to force it for fear of puncturing the colon. They elected to do the barium enema, instead. They won't know the results of the test till Monday. I spoke with the DR today and asked him if there was any reason for me to extend my stay. He assured me that there was no reason for me to stay.

Mom is weak from the prep prior to the scope, but when I left her she was going to take a nap and sleep off the Versed they gave her. She promised to call the ambulance and go to the ER if she ever gets like she was before.

So, I head home on Monday.

I am tired and ready for my own house and my own bed.

THanks for all the support you guys have shown and I will keep you all updated.