Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op liquid diet and losing weight

I am very early in my journey...I was told today I could lose 20 lbs. and still be eligible for the sleeve surgery....but how will losing weight that very last week or two before surgery when you're on a liquid diet play into the weight loss? Do I need to save a 10 lb. weight lose for that or once I'm that far it doesn't matter?

I wondered the same thing and really the only conclusion I have come up with is that maybe its wanting to prepare you to change your eating habits, kinda like get in the swing of things, Maybe also train your mind as well..

oh just looked this up and it says it helps remove fat around your liver so the surgery will be easier. I wont have mine til Memorial day.

Edited by curioslyhopeful

Right, but does my 20 lbs" that I can lose include this time right before surgery? In other words, do they weigh me on the day of surgery, I can only be down 20 lbs. from today? Or 20 lbs. down on the day I start liquid diet before surgery?

I'm thinking they mean 20 lbs from today. I've lost 20 lbs since I started this process. Right now I cannot lose more than 13 more pounds. After that, my insurance won't pay. Right now I'm on the 2 week pre-op diet. I don't really want to lose any more weight until after surgery. If it looks like I'm going to lose a bunch of weight this week, I'll probably do some cheating on my pre-op diet. Maybe have some extra Protein shakes. :)

I wondered that same thing and was told that the "official" weight is my weight at the last Dietician visit - that will be the weight reported to the insurance company for final approval - so I should not worry about any additional weight loos during the two week pre-op diet.

I am not sure if this applies to all insurance companies.

Yup, the previous requirements won't count against you anymore at that point. Good luck

Hello everyone. My surgeon and my NUT stressed the importance of following the pre-op liquid diet. The most important role is to shrink/reduce the size of our liver. Apparently they use a tool to hold ur liver up so that they can access the stomach like they need to. Some that didn't follow the pre-op diet as instructed liver was larger than it needed to be so the surgeon didn't sleeve the patient. I can't imagine waking up with 5-6 incisions In pain and haven't been sleeved. I remember saying "OH IF I WAKE UP AND HAVENT BEEN SLEEVED PLEASE HAVE ATLANTA'S FINEST STANDING BY BECAUSE I'M GOING HAMMMMM" lol I couldn't believe my ears. With all that said I'm dreading my liquid diet but planning to do as told because these hips will not look cute in a hideous orange jail jumper.

I use to worry about losing too much getting under the required 40 BMI but once u have ur approval letter ur approved. That weight recorded at the very beginning and the last one at ur surgeons office as ur ending weight that's submitted to ur insurance is what the insurance approval is normally based on. All plans aren't the same but that's usually a pretty general rule. Good luck to everyone as we prepare to change our lives forever for the better.

I am on my day 5 of my pre-op liquid diet. Wasn't sure I could do it but now I think I can. Kind of surprised myself.

Me too! I didn't think i would be able to handle or but it's pretty easy so far. I wonder if week 2 will be harder?Today was day 6 for me. I have to be on a 2 week all clear liquid diet. My surgery is April 7th. Good luck with your journey!

Hello everyone. My surgeon and my NUT stressed the importance of following the pre-op liquid diet. The most important role is to shrink/reduce the size of our liver. Apparently they use a tool to hold ur liver up so that they can access the stomach like they need to. Some that didn't follow the pre-op diet as instructed liver was larger than it needed to be so the surgeon didn't sleeve the patient. I can't imagine waking up with 5-6 incisions In pain and haven't been sleeved. I remember saying "OH IF I WAKE UP AND HAVENT BEEN SLEEVED PLEASE HAVE ATLANTA'S FINEST STANDING BY BECAUSE I'M GOING HAMMMMM" lol I couldn't believe my ears. With all that said I'm dreading my liquid diet but planning to do as told because these hips will not look cute in a hideous orange jail jumper.

I use to worry about losing too much getting under the required 40 BMI but once u have ur approval letter ur approved. That weight recorded at the very beginning and the last one at ur surgeons office as ur ending weight that's submitted to ur insurance is what the insurance approval is normally based on. All plans aren't the same but that's usually a pretty general rule. Good luck to everyone as we prepare to change our lives forever for the better.

How much time was there between your final weigh in and your date of surgery