Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting program on WLS tonight

Here in NYC, the local PBS station is showing a documentary on Independent Lens called 'All of Me: A story of Love, loss, and Last Resorts'. it's about two longtime friends facing the impact of WLS on their lives.

Unlike those 600 lb. life shows on TLC, this is PBS and likely not exploitive. I'm going to watch tonight. I just thought some of you might also be interested.

I love Independent Lens and have it on series record. I'll be sure to watch it!

11:30 pm.....hope I'm still awake! Lol! Thanks for the heads up!

Ten pm here in Chicago. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the info. Watching now. Joined it late

Wow....it was terrific. They talked about everything we discuss on this forum from how to lose the weight to how we change as we lose it, how persecuted we are as fat people, how we use/used food to self medicate....all of it.

I'm sure it's available on line if you missed it on TV. Everyone should watch it. Some of the women were banded, and some had other WLS. It didn't matter...I understood and sympathized and empathized with everything they said and what they went through.

Here in NYC, the local PBS station is showing a documentary on Independent Lens called 'All of Me: A story of Love, loss, and Last Resorts'. it's about two longtime friends facing the impact of WLS on their lives. Unlike those 600 lb. life shows on TLC, this is PBS and likely not exploitive. I'm going to watch tonight. I just thought some of you might also be interested.

I watched it. Didn't love it. I felt bad for the obese women going with men who only wanted obese partners. A person no matter their size or shape has feelings. I have heard of women losing the excess weight and the men dumping them.

tried to see if it was on here in NC but it wasnt dangit..

I stayed up late to watch it. It made me feel sad, made me feel anxious. My emotional trigger was set off, wanted to numb my feelings with food . I read a very timely post on this forum about meditation and emotional hunger. I used those techniques last night, it worked for me.

It made me sad too. This is certainly no cakewalk for any of us.

I don't think we were supposed to like it. I thought it was a great program because it captured our struggles so well. I could have put myself in any of those women's places including those who commented on the men they married. Especially that poor woman who said it wasn't about her, but it was all about her body. As nutty as this sounds...I bet beautiful woman go through something similar. Is it ever about them or about the body they live in? Interesting thought, huh? CG....look for it on line sweetheart. I bet you can find it in your local PBS site. All I know is that everything they said resonated with me. All I kept doing was shaking my head in agreement and saying yes, yes yes...

Edited by gowalking

I know this is a documentary, but it's pretty awful and paints the lap band as the WLS that does not work and that RNY works so much better. (And with that poor woman dying, that you will too if you are fat and don't get surgery.)

These are the types
of documentaries that create people that are so against WLS. They don't realize that the woman with the lap band was taking WAY too big of bites with her food after her fill and was probably doing so all along. And she was right in saying there needed to be more support after the surgery...sadly what she didn't know is that there IS more support but you have to seek it out and if you don't use a doctor that provides that support, its your responsibility to find some.

Thankfully, the doctor pointed out that it is just a tool and does actually take willpower and smart choices to succeed with any WLS. I'm wondering if most people getting these surgeries know that before they get into it. We need so much more education on WLS for people that are considering it and that are going through the process to get it!