Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Well my surgery is tomorrow, and I'm freaking out.... i am doubting myself about my decision... just because I'm scared of the "what if's" or the pain, I've always been a tough girl, but this is scary for me =/

I am 27yrs old, 5'7 and I have IgA Nephrophathy which causes me to have 1 kidney, I have PCOS, high blood pressure, high cholesterol...

Has anyone suffered of kidney failure after the surgery?

What should I expect the second I wake up from the surgery???

Also, something that really worked for u post-op?

Thank u for reading!

I'm just starting my journey myself so I don't have any experience to speak from on what to expect..but I wanted to say Good Luck tomorrow and remember the reasons of why you want to do this and try to let that positivity guide you back and help calm your nerves a little...

It's normal to feel anxiety. We fear the unknown. I'm sure I will be the same as you when I get to my surgery date lol.

Again best of luck and keep us posted with your post surgery journey. .

Hello, I have a few weeks to my day but wanted to say good luck. Prayers are with you, remember the 'why' that you are there and you will be awesome.

You so got this!!!

Thank u I appreciate the good vibes =)

I been trying to positively guide myself but my fear of the unknown takes over and I'm a lost case haha jk not that bad

I will keep u posted for sure...

Best of luck to you!

I had 2nd thoughts the day before surgery and the morning of. I almost walked out of admitting - all due to fear. What got me thru was looking at my husband and thinking about all the reasons I wanted to have this surgery. I'm just over 4 months out and I can tell you, I am happy I went thru with it. Short of marrying my husband and having my son, it was the best decision of my life.

My surgery was done on an outpatient basis, so I was in admitting at 6:00 am and leaving the hospital at noon the same day. I hung out recovery for a little bit after I woke up, then went to another room and they got me walking immediately. I was more comfortable walking than in bed or the chair they provided to me. Once I peed, I was cleared to go home. Once at home, I slept for a few hours. Walking, really, just roaming around the house helped get rid of the gas. I set my phone to chime every 5 minutes to remind me to sip Water. (I couldn't stomach tap Water - it was like drinking sandpaper, so I drank Propel Zero.)

You're going to do great. Just stay positive and know the first couple of days are going to suck, but they'll be over before you know it. Be kind to yourself - remember, you're recovering from major surgery.

Thank u so much for the advice!!! I will definitely keep it in mind... I really need it...

My husband is deployed and he's even more scared than me... I guess because he's away... but I know i have to keep in mind that I need to do this for a better future and probably maybe future kids. =)

husband is deployed

Morticia

so sorry hubby is unable to be with you :(

do you have other family/friends that can be attentive to your needs???

it would great if you had someone to lean on

as @@Mary_B and @@McButterpants said above..............

being nervous - having 2nd thoughts, different "concerned" emotions are totally normal :wacko:

that doesn't mean they are easy to deal with :mellow:

you made the wise decision to have surgery, don't second guess yourself now :)

I am sure that your docs took your medical problems/situations into consideration before you were approved to have the surgery

i don't think he would have approved you for WLS if he even THOUGH there was a potentional problems

but as OP have said - its understandable to have real fears :angry:

The "second" you wake up - you might/will feel a little pain, gas et al

you'll probably be getting pain meds through your IV

many/most (but not all) have gas post surgery

best thing to do is walk, then walk some more, and continue to walk

your co-morbities helped/allowed you to get the surgery

now, (like me) they should/will start to improve - maybe eventually disappear altogether (like me)

start drinking as much liquids in the hospital

when you are home - its essential that you push the fluids

sip, sip very slowly throughout the day

important to stay hydrated

Water will be your new BFF for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :)

don't drink 15-30 minutes before you eat

never drink while you are eating

don't drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

drink 64 oz a day

if you have trouble drinking - many people like room temperature Water to drink

if you are tired, rest, rest

if you don't feel like jumping up and down, thats ok

let your body tell you what to do

you've got a whole wonderful life in front of you :)

if you are feeling well, you can gradually go walking (even up and down the house) is a start

good luck tomorrow

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy