Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so I've had a few (4-5) episodes of food getting 'stuck' but last night was the absolute worst. I had come home from the Gym where I did a particularly hard work out and the ab workout was Intense. I had eaten lunch at 12:00PM and got home at around 6:30PM. There was no food ready for me to consume so I had to work fast to get myself some heat and serve pulled pork and mixed veggies ready. At 7:00PM I sat down to eat and I was ravenous. Two bites in the pork got stuck. Yes I ate the two bites to fast and the bites were too big. So I stopped eating. That was the most painful experience waiting for that pork to work its way down. Took 40 minutes. By the time it passed through my pouch, I no longer had any desire for that food. I waited another 30 minutes and heated myself up a can of Progresso Light Soup knowing that it would not get 'stuck' since I've been taught that it's basically a slider food.

I was wondering how many other people can't continue to eat after having a 'stuck' episode. This is the first time for me. All my other episodes cleared up after 10 minutes or so and I was still hungry so I went back to the same meal.

I was wondering to if all my ab exercises prior to the meal had anything to do with it. I will continue to explore that.

You were definitely tight after your workout. Combine that with being hungry and rushing to get your food ready in time and you have a recipe for getting stuck. I resume eating (often the same food) once the episode is over and I don't have a problem because by then my stoma is wide open.

You were definitely tight after your workout. Combine that with being hungry and rushing to get your food ready in time and you have a recipe for getting stuck. I resume eating (often the same food) once the episode is over and I don't have a problem because by then my stoma is wide open.

After standing over the toilet for 40 minunts slimming, wishing I was dead and tasting that pork the second time, I had no desire. Plus I gotta say that one scared me. I didn't think about my stoma being wide open and ready to go. Oh well. Ended up saving me about 200 calories. HA!

This sounds like so many of my past stuck episodes. I still have one like yours every 3 months or so but after all this time(2.5 years) I've learned to slow down but still make a mistake now and then. Now I can feel one of these coming on after a couple of bites and just stop. And, like you, it takes a couple of minutes for the food to work it's way through.

I've never found that my stoma swelled up after one of these stuck episodes and I usually try to drink ice cold Water to avoid any inflammation.

No need to be scared, just be careful and try to avoid distractions in the future. But, it'll probably happen again, only next time, you'll know how to handle it. Oh yeah, don't do this at a restaurant. Folks will assume you're having a stroke or heart attack :( :blink:

Try to keep a larabars bar with you or a Protein fruit drink. A few nuts maybe just to get you through. Working out like that is great but you are burning a lot of calories and if you have something small on your way home or after your work out then you will be able to take the time needed to make your meal. I eat 1/2 a bar before workout and 1/2 bar after. Seems to really help.

Remember you are burning a lot more calories then before so you need to compensate for that or your body will go into protection mode!

heat and serve pulled pork????? Like BBQ pork? How much should we be eating??? 4 oz, 1/2 cup, or a cup of food each meal? or how should I be measuring my food?

heat and serve pulled pork????? Like BBQ pork? How much should we be eating??? 4 oz, 1/2 cup, or a cup of food each meal? or how should I be measuring my food?

You'll have to read the label to know the nutritional values. There's a lot of sugar in pulled pork since it's marinating in a barbecue type sauce. As long as you factor the calories into your daily allowance, should be no problem. But, some of the pork are just big chunks and can be dry which can cause a stuck episode.

You'll have to read the label to know the nutritional values. There's a lot of sugar in pulled pork since it's marinating in a barbecue type sauce. As long as you factor the calories into your daily allowance, should be no problem. But, some of the pork are just big chunks and can be dry which can cause a stuck episode.

This was not BBQ pulled pork. It was actually pork roast that I turned into pulled pork (no BBQ sauce). It's one of those prepackaged fresh meats served in pastic containers, Hormel, Swanson and a couple of other companys sell them. They are usually located in the fresh meat section around the other processed meats, i.e sauage, sandwich meat. Anyway, not that it matters, just want to clarify that I'm not eating BBQ. Heaven forbid ;) ;)

Well, that explains the stuck episode. Pork is notoriously one of my dreaded stuck inhibitors. In the grocery stores I frequent, they have pulled pork, pulled beef with BBQ Sauce usually in the bologna, hot dogs, Johnsonville franks area of the store. I used to love the stuff and usually it goes down with no problem since it's floating in sauce :o

I've had it maybe twice in two years. Sometimes I have to give in to a craving to remind myself how much I never missed it.

Firstly I have found that reheated meat has been a big no go for me. It always gets stuck.

Rushing to eat is of course another thing to avoid but I had trouble with that until I downloaded an app called Bioring Gastric Band. It has a meal timer and a pouch timer. Search for it in the App Store. Since I started using it I haven't had a single stuck episode.

Hope this helps

Have had 3 stuck episodes and they lasted hours not minutes. The last one was almost 3 hours long and I slimmed like rabid dog. Not fun, so have learned to be careful. Even if I get too hungry I eat slowly and chew. I usually don't want to eat after a "stuck" but can get a little liquid such as Water down and then after everything is clear I can eat some mushy food. I was told by my dietitian to go back on liquids such as the Protein Shakes we used at first. Then after about 24 hours of that it is OK to go solid again. I have never gone the 24 hours but have done liquids for several hours before eating.