Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded in Maryland!

Hi, All! I just found this site today. Thank goodness for search engines! I was banded on 3/23/07. Everything went fine......except that I'm now really hungry :hungry:all the time, and don't feel any restriction. My doc won't do a first fill until 8 weeks post-op. If I had enough self control to behave for 2 months, I wouldn't have needed the band! Ha ha! Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about others' experiences, and hopefully making some buddies here. Thanks, BJ :D

I'm sorry to hear that your hungry thats something I worring about to I'm get band on 4/11.Did you try and the doctor and see if this is the way it should be? good luck

Hi BJ, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. You shouldn't be as hungry and you definitely do not have restriction until you start getting your fills. Enjoy the honeymoon period. Julie

Hello in Maryland. I also live in Maryland. I just got approved today and I'm scheduled for surgery on 4/30/07. I can't wait. Who was your surgeon?

Hi, everybody! Thanks for your good advice and kind words, but especially the warm welcome! I talked to my nutritionist who told me I should add another 2 tablespoons of mostly Protein, and that I could eat every 3 hours, if I felt hungry. I'll give it a shot. The Unjury brand protein is the only one I can stand, so I'm now getting all of my recommended protein. The plain Unjury is almost completely tasteless and textureless. The chocolate one in milk tastes exactly like chocolate milk. I haven't tried the strawberry, yet, but I'll assume it's of the same caliber. So, for those of you having difficulty getting your protein, go to Unjury.com. You can order samples to make sure you like the stuff, before you spend any real money. (No. I don't work for Unjury! Ha ha! It's just good stuff!)

My surgeons were Doctors Tran and Halmi, in Fairfax, VA. They were great! Friendly, informative, and accessible. I had my surgery at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. It was an awesome hospital. I think I will drive the hour and a half to use their emergency room, if I ever need one! :o

Anyway, only 6 weeks to go before I can hopefully get my first fill. I am counting the seconds! I'm definitely not eating as much as I was prior to surgery. I felt like I could have for a couple of days - but, terror of doing damage to myself along with eating more meals makes me feel at least A LITTLE restricted. I don't want to undo the effects of the surgery. I did this for a reason. God forbid I screw it up now!

I'll be thinking about those of you who are scheduled to be banded this month. Believe me, it's a really easy surgery. Get up and move around as much as possible, and as soon as possible. The more you move, the better you feel. I swear! Also, the pain meds they gave me made me really sick to my stomach the day after surgery when I came home. I wonder now why I was bothering to take it. The surgery is laparoscopic. It hardly really hurt. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't take the pain meds at all. Hours after I stopped, I felt 110% better. Take Tylenol if you need it.

You're supposed to drink lots of Water after you leave the hospital, and work your way back up to 64 oz a day. Water tasted like crap to me after surgery, and I had a low tolerance for anything sweet. I got some fresh lemons for my water, and then was finally able to get the whole amount down.

weight.png

Hello bjlang68,

I just started on this site myself. I am not scheduled to be banded until June 7. I am dissapointed with the far away date. I started the process after the first of the year, and I have been to many appointments. I live in Virginia but in Stafford, about 60 min south of Faifax. I am goint to Commonwealth Surgeons at St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond. several people I know went there for gastric and really respected the doctors. they are very busy! I was hoping a May surgery.

I am glad to hear from the postings that the recovery is not so bad. I am a little scared of having surgery and the risk, but I keep saying to myself it is as risky as when i had my tubes tied! I have not told my kids yet, I want to wait until it is closer. My husband is supportive but does not understand the weight delima of a life time! He is thin and always has been.

Keep me posted on your progress, I would love to keep in touch with newly banded to see what my first month will be like and share ideas on drinks, etc. the senior folks are helpful too for the next steps! I am glad to find this.

Does Fairfax have support groups? I was going to one tonight for banded people only but had to change my schedule. maybe next month. this web site will be helpful!

do you have to do a post op diet? i hear people say about losing weight to prepare for the surgery. I did not have a bmi of 40, but 36. I was afraid to lose any weight until it was approved, I did not want it to effect my approval. :straight

take care, Janine