Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

having emotional issies. march 25 is the day.

It is absolutely terrifying to be sitting there on the edge of your decision. Many of us went through that. Here is my advice as a life long obese person who was also really afraid of failing ... again. And has since lost 160# and is maintaining that loss. Click on my profile to see my before and afters... I have truly transformed thanks to the help of the VSG. anyway, advice here... have you really tried everything? Have you done every reasonable diet (weight watchers, low carb whatever)? What were your results? Do you have the disease of obesity, meaning you have been overweight/obese long enough that you have physical changes? You maybe used to be able to lose weight but can hardly do that anymore? Are you hungry most of the time? If you can answer honestly yes to those questions - I am guessing that you won't be able to lose and maintain significant weight loss without weight loss surgery. If you have serious doubts if you have in fact tried everything, put off your surgery and TRY everything. That way, you will know in your heart that you gave it your all and you need a tool to help you. I realize not everyone will view it that way, but I was honestly at rock bottom and so by the time I had surgery I was so OVER food as a friend. I would ahve been happy if they could figure out how to keep me from ever having to eat again (which of course is not the case!). I work at maintenance, do not get me wrong, but I worked (and failed) at trying to stay under 300#!!! Now I work, and mostly succeed at staying under 150#! My life is truly transformed into a life I actually want to live with so much potential and joy at daily things. Hang in there, this isn't always easy, it is just a tool and YOU make it what you want. You have a lot of influence over the outcome. I had the lapband and did not do well with it. One of the things I learned is that I needed help and support and so I picked a VSG surgeon who REQUIRED 2 years of follow up. I had to humble myself, the professional dieter, and go back to basics and relearn how to eat and live an active life. It was hard to turn that over and to be open to it, but I am so glad I did. I am also so glad I didn't have the gastric bypass or sleeve when I was first looking into it - I waited a year and even changed surgeons. The first surgeon was highly recommended, but I didn't like his NUT, I didn't like his program and I felt that resistance inside me. He told me I would fail with the sleeve and should have the bypass and I couldn't figure out why I would succeed at that either... That was a year of suffering to be honest but it really set the stage for my success as I knew that I needed the surgery, i needed the support and I needed to change my life. I feel that some sort of combination of luck, and guiding forces put me right where I needed to be in terms of the surgeon and program and my own brain.

Thank u.... I'm so happy to hear success stories and encouraging words

My surgery is the 31st too! I'm having second thoughts. I've managed to lose 20 lbs over the last 3 months and I'm wondering if maybe I should stick to dieting instead of having the surgery. But I know I've always failed dieting and always gain back the weight plus more. I already have severe neuropathy from diabetes and I have to get it under control, which the surgery will do. I know all these things. I'm just kind of afraid. :wacko:

I also have neuropathy on my right leg from back injury I got from car accident. I'm 31 years old and been dieting all my life but after going thru this pain for over a year I then decided wls was my best option.

WLS is my answer to be pain free and healthy! (hi blood press & cholesterol)

GL on ur journey!!!