Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When the truth is inconvenient . . .

I may be a crazy right wing "liberal" conservative, but I love that idea. I'll jump on board as well and work to cut my garbage output at home and here at work.

Some of us may disagree on the various degrees of cause/effect we are having on the environment but I think we can all agree to support Green in this small way.

You know, you are so right! I'm not big on the green enviroment, but I'm BIG on our GREEN! and I can definitely support her on this one! and on anything else I can!

Elena:thumbup:

Thanks to all of you. You are putting a smile on my face, a tough thing to do today. I saw the oncologist this AM and he is concerned that the cancer may have spread. He also warned me that the 7 weeks of radiation are going to be really horrible. And I have to be fitted with a feeding tube in my stomach. Icky, very icky. I have, however, lost 3-4 lbs so it's chocolate icecream tonight. I gotta bulk up or I will end up looking like an anorexic. How weird is that for a lapband grrl to be saying?!?

Thanks once again for all of your support. It means a lot.

Green, my thoughts are with you. I hope everything goes well. Do me a favor, enjoy that ice cream, and eat a little extra for me too!

Thanks to all of you. You are putting a smile on my face, a tough thing to do today. I saw the oncologist this AM and he is concerned that the cancer may have spread. He also warned me that the 7 weeks of radiation are going to be really horrible. And I have to be fitted with a feeding tube in my stomach. Icky, very icky. I have, however, lost 3-4 lbs so it's chocolate icecream tonight. I gotta bulk up or I will end up looking like an anorexic. How weird is that for a lapband grrl to be saying?!?

Thanks once again for all of your support. It means a lot.

Oh Green, a big, huge HUG (((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm sorry that you have to go through all this, you do have a happy and strong spirit, I've always seen that in you and that will help you tremendously. My grandfather had throat cancer, and this was many years ago, well, I was 8 years old and I'm 45 now... science was not so advanced yet, and still, he went through his radiation and he went in remission for years, actually when he passed away, it had nothing to do with the cancer, I still remember my mom going with him to the hospital for his radiation....so now a days , there are so many options and great treatments that I'm confident that you are going to be just fine, I know how you feel though, and it can be scary , but please, hang in there, you can beat this! stay strong Green! we are here for you, pulling for you all the way, you have great home support, you can do this! I know it! Enjoy the chocolate ice cream...yummy! and keep those curves!

Please feel the love!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Green, did the oncologist mention why he believes it may have spread or where?

I ask, because my first visit at my oncologists---I met with a different Dr. than the one that ultimately became MINE! He told me that the type of cancer I had, and as long as some of my issues had been ignored, I was almost guaranteed that my lymph system had been compromised by the cancer. He went on to tell me the high percentages that follow the female circle he called it, going from reproductive organs to breast, how common brain cancer was as a secondary cancer....on and on and on! I come home, a scared ass basket case!

I did 6 months of oral chemo prior to my surgery (total hysterectomy), then followed up with another round of 16 weeks of infused therapy on top of an oral concoction.

In the end, mine had not spread. This September will mark 5 years.

Many aspects are as you say icky, and often painful---but it is worth it! Like we say about our bands---it's worth it.

Sometimes it is hardest to talk to those we love, and share our fears, and anger, and what have you. It is hard to burden them with your feelings as they try to process their own. Please know if ever you want someone to unload on----I am here---and it looks like lots of us are.

Have a spoon or 2 of ice cream for me....I didn't lose any weight!

Kat

Green, did the oncologist mention why he believes it may have spread or where?

I ask, because my first visit at my oncologists---I met with a different Dr. than the one that ultimately became MINE! He told me that the type of cancer I had, and as long as some of my issues had been ignored, I was almost guaranteed that my lymph system had been compromised by the cancer. He went on to tell me the high percentages that follow the female circle he called it, going from reproductive organs to breast, how common brain cancer was as a secondary cancer....on and on and on! I come home, a scared ass basket case!

I did 6 months of oral chemo prior to my surgery (total hysterectomy), then followed up with another round of 16 weeks of infused therapy on top of an oral concoction.

In the end, mine had not spread. This September will mark 5 years.

Many aspects are as you say icky, and often painful---but it is worth it! Like we say about our bands---it's worth it.

Sometimes it is hardest to talk to those we love, and share our fears, and anger, and what have you. It is hard to burden them with your feelings as they try to process their own. Please know if ever you want someone to unload on----I am here---and it looks like lots of us are.

Have a spoon or 2 of ice cream for me....I didn't lose any weight!

Kat

Kat, congratulations on beating the cancer! you were also so strong....:thumbup:

green, I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I do hope the cancer has not spread. My thoughts are with you. I must admit I was very touched by the kind thoughts of your friends on here, they are so kind aren't they? Good luck with your treatment.

Regards

kat: Not only do we need to commend you for the incredible weight loss you've managed, but we also need to commend you for conquering cancer. You're amazing.

I love your take on things. You always seem to have a kind and caring approach to most threads where I've read your posts. I wouldn't be surprised if that has had an enormous impact on your good health. I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

I know that you, like me, must be more than a little upset to hear that green is having to deal with health issues right now. She too has cancer and we have to hope with all our might that as Jack pointed out, her wit and wisdom will serve to deal her cancer a blow that will have her on the mend and back among us real soon.

As for you grrl (as green would say) keep up the great work!

Thanks so much BJean. Made my day!!!

The title of this thread is "When the truth is inconvenient"....well right now greens truth---just sucks! But I am SO glad to see everyone put differences aside and pull together to support her!

Check in and update us as you can green----we are here thinking about you--sending good vibes!

Kat

Thanks to everyone for your many words of kindness and concern. This means a lot to me. Right now I am still having tests and meeting my medical team. Today I had a bone scan with particular attention paid to my head. You have to lie perfectly still for over 20 minutes per scan. I am a fidgetty kind of person so this was rough. I also got to meet my chemo doc. I will have 3 sessions of chemo during the seven weeks of radiation and I will be left feeling lousy. So lousy in fact that I will be staying in the hospital over night on the chemo days. I also had my hearing measured. I may lose some hearing. blehh. Tomorrow I see the cancer dentist.

I have been eating lots of chocolate in all its various forms as well as big breakfasts, etc in order to bulk up. I gained 3 lbs in one week. Normally I would be devasted but I will end up using a feeding tube during part of my treatment - Icky! - and will lose weight as a result. Right now I weigh about 140. Last week I was around 137. Cancer is very slimming.

Of course I no longer smoke but I find myself missing 'em at times. It is a powerful addiction, that's for sure.

I'm glad you posted an update, green. I've been praying for you. I have a very dear friend who was just diagnosed with cancer as well, so I think of both of you often. Please keep us updated.

Green--so glad you checked in, and let us know what was going on. I have my bi-annual bone scan next month....will think of you as I also lie there. This might make you snicker....

I have 2 tumors. One in my right fibula (shin bone) and one in my right mastoid (a gland/honeycomb bone behind your ear). They are active, but not growing...so the consensus has been to monitor them, but leave them be. As you say with the bone scan of the head you must lie very still. I am claustrophobic with all that heavy equipment. Minimally twice a year, much more often in the beginning, as I have had these scans Loretta has done them....she understands I am uncomfy with the machine bearing down on me....so she talks me through it. Especially when I roll to the side, and it actually comes down and skims the head. She will count it down, so I know when it will touch me, she talks non stop and then lets me know it is going back up. So I go in about 2 years ago---and Loretta is not there. I got this rude woman, she was horrid! She questioned my Dr.'s about why they didn't get rid of the tumors, and she was rough when she gave the initial injection of isotopes----told me I was too early when I come back (I had a book!)...I tried telling her I was claustrophobic when it come at my head....she told me that I was being silly I should be used to it, from the look of my file. She was a total bitch to me. I told her again when she had me roll over....please let me know before it touches me.....it had always been the slightest skim before. So there I lie on that little skinny table---and I was at my heaviest then....with my feet taped together--to keep my ankles from relaxing, since one of my hot spots is in the leg bone. I was already hyperventilating....and she lowered that damn thing further than I had ever felt it before, I felt it pushing on my head, I went into a full blown panic attack! I have no idea how....but I slid my fat ass out from under that thing, and sat straight up, and puked all over her feet!!!! I ripped that tape holding my feet together, and was half way across the room when she blew up!

My former son in law's Dad is head of the radiology dept at this hospital, and he come out to see what the commotion was. HE got me calmed down, she never did calm down! He took me over to see how much of the test finished and what we needed to do, and said Loretta had detailed info in the computer as to my fears and how to do the test. Since then others have done them, and treated me nicely....but if ever I see her....I think I'll puke on her again just for sh*ts & giggles!!!

Hang in there.....I know it sounds like you have lots of Dr.'s to see---but think of all the additional knowledge each brings to the table...sounds like you will be in good hands.

I think of you often, but will without a doubt when I hit my next scan!

Kat

That was a great story, Kat!! I love it when someone, especially a patient, has the courage to stand up for better treatment---and to be able to puke as punctuation was a great finish!!

I think maybe there should be a "Cancer Survivor's" thread on LBT...we would all have some great stories to share and it would be uplifting reading for others who are undergoing the process.

In any case, good luck to you and to green and the others who are currently doing battle with the Big C. I am keeping you in my daily prayers!

L8---my tests continue to come back with the same sort of tumor make up---one they are not ready to consider cancerous yet. I did my battle with uterine cancer of the endometrial lining. Ironically it was missed until I hemmorhaged because my changing blood work, they kept trying to relate back to the tumors they knew existed! They were found quite by accident during a pre op work up for some simple arthroscopic surgery on my knee--the one in my fibula showed in Xray---it had at that time fractured the bone. So off I went for my first bone scan....and they found the one in the mastoid. It is noticable, but not covered with hair!!! When my hair was gone, it was visible....the one on the leg has never been large enough to show on the exterior.

Didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I am in battle as difficult as green is.....she needs our strength!!!

Kat

Didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I am in battle as difficult as green is.....she needs our strength!!!

Kat

Kat, thanks for the info on your situation. I think that any one of us here who has had a diagnosis of cancer, whether past or new, understands and shares in a unique experience. The fear and hope that permeates everything we do while undergoing that battle is something I don't believe ever really leaves us. You are offering a perspective that I am sure is very helpful to green and I am glad you shared it. It brought back memories of my battle 18 years ago and my hope is that someday green will share her battle and subsequent victory with others, as well. Good luck with your upcoming tests, and good luck to you, green!