Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss food?

I'm in the research mode of this process. I have had an initial consult with follow up appointments scheduled for Friday. I haven't scheduled a date for surgery yet, but I'm researching the nutrition portion of this process. Everyone seem so positive......are there any NEGATIVES that should be considered? I don't want to have to live on liquids or think of food or lack of consistently.

What are the drawbacks?

:help:

I'm in the research mode of this process. I have had an initial consult with follow up appointments scheduled for Friday. I haven't scheduled a date for surgery yet, but I'm researching the nutrition portion of this process. Everyone seem so positive......are there any NEGATIVES that should be considered? I don't want to have to live on liquids or think of food or lack of consistently.

What are the drawbacks?

:help:

Once you've healed from surgery, you are supposed to eat real food, and actually avoid liquid calories. So we do eat real food, and a pretty decent variety. Yesterday I had a non-fat latte(skim milk is pretty much the liquid calories I get) and a South beach bar. lunch was tuna and cracker and some baby carrots. snack was a tangerine and some almonds. dinner , I had turkey summer sausage on an whole-wheat english muffen put under the broiler with some cheese on it.

I find I don't really think about food much at all, definitly less then I used to, and I feel satisfied eating a lot less then I used to. It's pretty cool.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess i just want to make sure that if in 6 months or 12 months I want something I've missed I can have a small taste and not get crazy about not having it. We all know diets don't work so I'm concerned about the life style change.

YES, I miss eating without the SLIME!!!

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess i just want to make sure that if in 6 months or 12 months I want something I've missed I can have a small taste and not get crazy about not having it. We all know diets don't work so I'm concerned about the life style change.

There are changes you have to make, no doubt. The band is a tool, no more or less, but it's working much better then anything else I've tried in almost 40 years of fighting my weight.

I have things I know aren't the best choices sometimes. I got SICK of dieting. Of counting every little thing I ate, being focused on food all the time, thinking about what I could eat, what I wanted, feeling bad about my "cheats". I am done with that. At first, I tracked my food at fitday.com, to make sure I was on track. Now I don't very often, unless I'm stalled.

But if I have one cookie or a bite of chocolate, that's fine. I find it only takes a little bit and I'm happy.

There are changes you have to make, no doubt. The band is a tool, no more or less, but it's working much better then anything else I've tried in almost 40 years of fighting my weight.

I have things I know aren't the best choices sometimes. I got SICK of dieting. Of counting every little thing I ate, being focused on food all the time, thinking about what I could eat, what I wanted, feeling bad about my "cheats". I am done with that. At first, I tracked my food at fitday.com, to make sure I was on track. Now I don't very often, unless I'm stalled.

But if I have one cookie or a bite of chocolate, that's fine. I find it only takes a little bit and I'm happy.

Now that's true. I don't diet ANYMORE!! That's the good thing about the band.

Are there any times when you regret your decisions?

Only when I'm in pain. I must be honest, I wouldn't do it over.

You look fairly young. I'm going to be 52 and have health issues. I have sleep apnea, plantar fasciitis, arthritis in feet, knees and back and still have two teenagers that I need to keep up with. I'd like to see my grandchildren, only if it is to give THEIR parents a hard time.LOL In this case would the difficulties be worth it?

You look fairly young. I'm going to be 52 and have health issues. I have sleep apnea, plantar fasciitis, arthritis in feet, knees and back and still have two teenagers that I need to keep up with. I'd like to see my grandchildren, only if it is to give THEIR parents a hard time.LOL In this case would the difficulties be worth it?

I believe the band is a great tool and it could eliminate many health issues. I think you should go for it!! The pain and slime happens every time I eat or drink, but the surgeon said it should go away. So, once that is gone, I'll be fine.

Are there any times when you regret your decisions?

Sometimes. There are times I'd like to just pig-out, eat huge amounts of bad food like I used to. I do miss that, even though I know it's part of why I was over 300 pounds. And when I'm in the middle of a PB(productive burp - where food comes back up) I'm not thrilled. And I've realized that I used food as a drug, instead of facing my anger over something someone did to me, I'd eat enough to dull all feeling. I'm having to deal with my emotions more honestly, and that can be a painful learning experience.

But I would do it again no question. I'm down just over 59 pounds. I feel better, and am wearing clothes I haven't worn in a looonnngg time if ever. My doctor says I'm much healthier, and I can't even imagine what I'll feel like after losing the next 100 pounds.

Negatives regarding food... if you're tight, you probably can't eat bread, big hunks of meat, Pasta, etc.

Found it easier to purree most foods at home to avoid problems.

Never really know when things are going to get sick... so it can be embarrassing. I remember runnign out of a friend's wedding reception and PBing 2 or 3 times in the hotel garden. :D

I really miss drinking carbonated drinks. My surgeon also says no coffee so, I gave up my morning coffee as well. My sister (who also has the band) still drinks her coffee though so, I'm not sure how important this point is. I figured out a way to eat bread. I make dark toast and I am able to eat it that way. Throw on a thin spread of PB&J and I'm in heaven!