Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having problems getting all required protein

I was banded 1/19. I am finding it hard to get in 80g of Protein per day. Anyone else experiencing this? I try to eat protein food items first but I am not hungry and hate to make myself eat just to get in the protein. (Never thought I would see the day where I would have to make myself eat :) ). I am scared my hair may start falling out due to protein deficiency. At any rate, I feel as if I am going to have to start getting up in the middle of the night and eat. Seems like my day is scheduled around eating and drinking. Does anyone know of any very high protein food items out there besides fish? I cannot stand the taste of that Protein Powder stuff:help:

Crishell, first of all you only need 60 grams of Protein a day. 80 grams is too high. I would start my day off with a Protein Shake. That will give you almost 1/2 of what you need for the day. I use GNCs shake and it has 25 grams. Then if you move to solid protein the rest of the day you should be okay. I think I read that you can survive on 40 grams a day. I do and I haven't lost my hair.< /p>

The new Special K Protein waters are good and they have 5 grams of protein per drink and they're Water with flavoring. I've got the strawberry/kiwi and it's very good.

I make my own Protein Water - more Protein for less calories.

1 tube New whey 42 grams by IDS (Orange flavor) . 176 calories (approx $2.50 per tube depending on where you buy it)

1 20 oz propel with Calcium. (Mandarin Orange flavor) 20 calories.

mix in 1 liter bottle and add filtered tap Water to fill the 1 ltr.

42 grams of protein for 196 calories - PLUS I get extra B Vitamins & Calcium.

If you stack up against the Special K - it is far superior.

5 grams of protein for 50 calories for special K. 40 grams of protein would be 400 calories.... and at 1.99 a bottle it costs 16 bucks to get that.

My water is less than $4.00 - if you buy the propel by the individual bottle.

If you get it by the flat at Sams, like I do - then the homemade stuff is a great deal.

I strongly recommend the Orange flavor over the fruit Punch. I haven't tried any other flavors besides those.

You can get the protein at http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_by_79.htm

If you take 42 grams of protein in your water throughout the day, getting the rest of your required protein is a snap.

Good Luck!

If you can do a Protein drink (I use whey Protein and calorie/carb countdown milk) that's about 32g right there, just for an 8oz glass.

Eat a small fish fillet and there's another 20+ gms.

Or a small 4oz pack of tuna is about 20gm.

Right there you're over 70gm.

Go for the "power packed" foods and not ones that have 5gm or 6gm per serving.

I too have to eat when I'm not hungry in order to get any kind of daily calorie value, and protein unless I want to drink it all.

Thanks for telling us about fitday.com. I just signed on to it.. what a useful site. I think it will be really helpful. I've been wondering how many calories I've been taking in. Now I know.