Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just want to put it out there and possibly see if anybody has ever experienced increased intracranial pressure while vomiting. Not just coughing up food but actually vomiting from the flu or other GI upset. I have -- twice. And both times I experienced a subarachnoid hemorrhage which put in Intensive Care both times. The second time I had enough brain damage that I was forced to retire as a Registered Nurse. None of the doctors I have encountered -- neither the neurosurgeons nor the bariatric surgeons, believe that my lap band caused the head bleeds. Why would they not? Has anyone ever NOT had either bloodshot eyes or a slightly more significant vessel break in their eyes when vomiting -- with or without a band? Well, a subarachnoid bleed is just a little deeper.

I would love to have my band removed (it was deflated when I had the bleeds) but nobody will remove it unless I pay out of pocket. I guess the insurance companies would rather pay about $500,000 for each episode of head bleeds for me than pay the mere pittance it would cost to remove the band.

Any comments or experiences from anyone?

You're the nurse? Why would the lapband cause head bleeds? Neuros don't pull punches in my experience. I can see your bariatric doc fudging a little since your symptoms are unusual?

Do you have high blood pressure or other medical issues that can cause bleeding? Do you take blood thinners or Nsaids?

So, even Obamacare won't remove the band? Did you have to change insurance January 1st and what kind of insurance do you have?

tmf

Dear 2muchfun: I was diagnosed with hypertension only AFTER my first head bleed. Never had it before and I checked my BP often. I don't think the neurosurgeons and neurologists are being sinister or anything, I just think they haven't heard of a lap band causing a subarachnoid hemorrhage before. My surgeon won't fudge on anything. He's straight-up and I like that. Since I had to take a medical retirement from nursing after my second head bleed, I'm now on Medicare. It's always been their policy to remove a lap band only if it fails mechanically. Since it hasn't (it still holds a fill), I don't meet the protocol. One of those 'stranger than fiction' things, I guess. Thanks for reading and posting.

Hi Cinderoo,

I would think that if you are vomiting enough to cause head bleeds that there has to be some significant damage or even slippage to the band.

I would also as the Neuro to run some more tests to see if it could be something that is genetic in nature. like Arteriovenous malformations. This is a congenital disorder, the individual is born with it. It is a disorder of blood vessels in the spinal cord, brainstem or brain.

Having this type of disorder could make something as simple as getting stuck on food or sick from the flu give you a bleed.

If you feel that the band needs to come due to your condition keep pressing your doctors and medicare, don't give up on your health and your needs because of paper work.

If your neuro finds it's causing you to have more episodes or adding to them, then he can argue a case for it's removal.

Having a diagnosis for your condition is one step in the right direction, keep on pushing forward and don't take no for an answer!

Best of luck to you, let us know how your doing.

Did you appeal the Medicare denial? I've never heard of that provision before but it surely doesn't surprise me. Concerns me though since I'm on Medicare too.

Hi Lisacaron: Thanks for your post. You certainly hit all the salient points that my neurosurgeons and neurologists did after my first head bleed. No AVMs, no aneurysms, no trauma, nothing structurally wrong in the brain. They called both bleeds idiopathic and spontaneous. Both quit bleeding on their own without surgical intervention. Since I am a (retired) registered nurse, I was kept very well updated and asked all pertinent questions. And, as an RN, even I couldn't convince them to look at the lap band as a potential cause.

I haven't pursued it as far as I plan to, but my bariatric surgeon says, because it's still in place and functioning, Medicare protocol will not allow him to remove it (and get paid by them.) So, I am looking at paying out of pocket for it. Ah, such is life.

Since there doesn't seem to be many -- if any -- lap band recipients who have experienced what I have, I doubt you have much to worry about regarding Medicare coverage.

You might want to repost this to the band to sleeve forum on the sleeve side of this forum? Many banders who have had revisions revise to the sleeve. You'll find some angry band haters over there but most are quite reasonable. Maybe someone else with your issue?