Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym Journey

I haven't gotten my surgery yet but I would think just start slow and don't strain you r body to the point of exhaustion. Although we may feel like hulk sometimes we just have to take it easy good luck at the gym!!!

Go slow and listen to your body. If something hurts don't continue. Expect some soreness the next day that is just your body rebuilding itself. Also if you have questions about a machine ask the staff. Finally most gyms have a free session with a trainer. Use it and ask lots of questions.

Starting slow is not much of a choice. Your gonna be weak as hell from probably never working out. I remembered the days of my youth when I was really small and worked out with extremely heavy weights. Boy was I in for a shock. I figured that by carrying around all the extra weight for years, I must have decent strength. The weights I could handle now were embarrassing.

The fact is, your waking up muscles that have be virtually unused for who knows how long. The movement alone with start to generate muscle development and increased calorie burn. No matter how insignificant is seems.....DO IT. You will feel and see the benefits in a very short time. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I did what Music said - I made an appointment with the trainer & he told me what I should or should not do. The trainer at my gym had worked with wls patients before and he was super nice. I started on the treadmill just walking - and then you can work yourself up. Whatever you feel comfortable with. :) And go slow like others have said, take your time ... you are gonna do great! ** I was very very out of shape (lol)

Were you at the gym or exercising pre-surgery or are you new to exercising altogether. I started cardio before weights. And I started with the stationary bike bc I could get the cardio in w/out putting strain on my ankle and knee joints (of course I was over 300 pounds, so they didn't need any additional strain). After losing 50 pounds, I moved to the elliptical bc I got a better calorie burn than I do on the treadmill. I started adding weight resistance at around the same time. 10 months for me (and my husband) of exercising six days a week. We were both certified couch potatoes. Not any more. Best Wishes!

I wonder how long after surgery we have to wait to start working out. I'm three weeks out from surgery and my doc said i could ride a stationary bike but he said nothing about the gym yet.

I wonder how long after surgery we have to wait to start working out. I'm three weeks out from surgery and my doc said i could ride a stationary bike but he said nothing about the gym yet.

Why wonder ? Call your Doc and ask.

i started with yoga and swimming. i was doing yoga right up until my surgery, so i was excited to get back to it. i also did walking and a dance class. then added weigh lifting. the important thing in the beginning is to keep hydrated! now i am able to drink lost of Water no problem, but in the beginning, it was a struggle.

I'm 4wks out And my doc releasing me tomorrow.

30 days does seem to be the consensus most reported on here from their Docs.

Get active and moving first (lots of walking, swimming, etc). Then when you start resistance training, educate yourself, set goals you want to accomplish from lifting, have reasonable expectations at first, and find ways to get and keep yourself motivated. Wish you the best!

I could walk or bike until 6 weeks - then I was released for strength training and Pilates.

Avoiding injuries is more important than rapid advancement. I thought of my slow start as laying a sure foundation for the rest of my life. I didn't do any ab work for a year, not even full push ups. My surgery area felt ouchy so I avoided it. I do not regret the caution. Turned out good.