Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Not Gastric Bypass?

I am pretty sure you can do RNY after banding, if banding doesn't work for you.

It can be done but if you look at the stats for revision surgery (what you are referring to) very few bandsters have bypass revision but quite a few bypass folks have a revision for banding.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind having bypass if they have a choice.

I have pretty personal reasons for choosing lapband over GP. Two friends died shortly after GP from complications. I work in a rehab facility (physical, not drugs). Our first GP patient suffered a stroke shortly after the surgery and came to us for PT. She coded several weeks after admission and died. She was in her 50s.

Our second GP patient came to us suffering from such severe dehydration and malnutrition that the muscles in her legs no longer support her. The Vitamin and mineral supplements she has to take every few hours upset her stomach and we struggle to convince her to drink and choose Protein foods over sweets. Also in her 50s. She often says the surgery was the worst thing she ever did.

When I started researching bariatric surgery I went in with an open mind but knowing I did not want GP.

My own opinion, worth price charged.

MC

Remember RNY is different from the gastric bypass (with duodenal switch). My DH had the bypass with the full intestinal re-arraingement. They take the last 100 cm of the small intestine and attach it to your stomach. That is why there is the foul smelling gas and diarrhea- from all the undigested food. I do mean foul. He lost the weight so fast that he has tons of loose skin and has lost most of his muscle tone. He also fights a Vitamin D deficiency which makes his bones breakable (he has lost alot of height) and since he can't absorb it through the fist full of Vitamins he takes every day, he can't get those levels up. His health problems are starting to freak me out as you can tell.

Someone at his place of work had the RNY, where they make your stomach into a tiny pouch. She has to have weekly IV infusions of Iron for anemia. Turns out the stomach absorbs it, now it's mostly gone so she is anemic and can't take the iron pills because of the Constipation.< /p>

Yup. The band is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my band,

Guest ladijane3

Pregnancy can be complicated in the first couple years post-surgery with RNY. Lapband can be unfilled for pregnancy then pick up where you left off after delivery. It was one of the main reasons for my decision as I'm not done having kids yet.

I am worried because my insurance has a statemtent in it to the effect of 'banding will be done if patient is deamed not able to undergo a more invasive surgery such as RNY.' If they give me a hard time about it, I am going to fight tooth and nail for the band. Personally, it makes more sense to me in both the short and the long term.

I am worried because my insurance has a statemtent in it to the effect of 'banding will be done if patient is deamed not able to undergo a more invasive surgery such as RNY.' If they give me a hard time about it, I am going to fight tooth and nail for the band. Personally, it makes more sense to me in both the short and the long term.

A friend of mine went through the same thing and we tried to come up with a reason why she couldn't have bypass. She did fight it and got nowhere. They have their rules and if they don't offer banding they don't offer banding. Hers was TriCare.

TriCare will be offering banding in the next year or so from what I hear.

If they will approve for one, you should be able to fight for the band. I did - and although it was not a quick process, it was totally worth it.

Thanks Renebean....I am preparing for the fight. I am stockpiling info for my consult so that if there is any question as to why I want lapband over bypass, I will be ready to fire..........a woman with a goal is nothing to mess with ! hehehe

BUMP!!!

ok. now, i starting to have an open mind for GB and doing more research on various weightloss surgeries.

i nibble and snack a lot.

i also can eat large portions at a time.

i love sweets. my sweet tooth keeps getting bigger with me.

so does the band seem better for me or is it GB?

I also wonder, if i am young and already have tight skin, will i have saggy skin after weightloss with the band, and will i DEFINITELY have saggy skin with GB?

thanks again in advanced for your responses.

With GB within about 5 years your intestinal tissue will start growing again and you will once again be able to eat fat and calories but in five years you'll absorb the calories unlike after surgery.

Care to diet and exercise for the rest of your days?

Either way you will HAVE to change your habits to something healthier. If you are looking for the easy way out with bypass it most certainly is easier.

For the first five years.