Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone: Just met with the surgeon here in Bristol, Ct on Thursday. All went well and have decided that a bypass is the best for me.

I weigh 242 and am trying to gather my mind on the subject of food. I don't like to cook much as from my stance things that are healthy seem so bland. I don't have any imagination to experiment with different spices and such.

She looked at the things I brought in for her to examine and at this point it seems nothing is good.

I brought the Equate shake which she said that I should just finish what I have and not to use it. I showed her the Pure Protein Bars and she said it's not a good choice. Then the Care One sold at Stop and Shop and she said that this isn't a good choice either.

She wrote down to include Protein at each meal and vegetable or fruit, decrease carb Snacks and replace w/veg/fruit/protein.

I went and bought cauliflower, carrots, salad green not iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, English cucumber. Not wanting to use bottled dressing I found that without that imagination ended up eating it plain Yuk.

I browned some pork thin cut cutlets and that left nothing to be desired. Like I said, no ideas of what to do with this stuff.

I'm a casserole type of person so I could always warm things up a day after or so.

But this eating healthy is the most trying aspect of this whole life style change.

Now with this exercise thing....I fear falling when I walk for health. Last time I did I fell face down on the sidewalk and required 3 stitches on my upper lip and smashed my glasses which required new ones..

Anyone else have this dilemma?

Lorraine are all these direction from your surgeon for pre-op? When is surgery?

The surgery date has not been established. The nutritionist in the office was the one that told me all that I have shared in the last post.

realize that every hospital has different ideas.

I was going to have the surgery in Hartford Hospital two years ago and everything was different from my local hospital.

It was the distance that made me back out from Hartford.

I don't think casseroles have to be unhealthy. There are probably lots of beef/chicken/pork and veggie options. Have you ever looked for recipes on Pinterest? I also be you can find some weight watchers recipes that have meat/protein and veggies. Healthy also doesn't mean bland.

Since you don't have a date yet you have time to implement the suggestions from the nutritionist. For example, I added an egg or cheese stick or some kind of meat to my Breakfast even if I am having Cereal or oatmeal. I'm also slowly but surely getting rid of bread and Pasta. It all takes time.

My mom had gastric bypass 8 years ago and she uses unjury unflavored Protein and adds it to stuff or makes her own flavored shakes when she needs to supplement. That's probably the way I will go. I have my last pre-op nutrition appointment on 4/3 at which time I will get my post op eating instructions including Protein options. I know my surgeon is pro food and anti shake and Protein Bar.