Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

OMG! Manatee I'm so sorry to hear that! I really wish you the best of luck with everything?when will the revision be? And will your insurance cover it?

we all have to keep in mind... This is not a race to see who can lose the most or who can reach goal the fastest. Our health and wellbeing comes first... And as with manatee... Being super tight isnt always the best thing for us.... Like he said... We have to listen to what our bodies are trying to tell us!

Manatee... Please keep us posted... We are here for you!!!

Manatee-That is a real bummer! Thanks for the warning! I hope it isn't painful for you. Hang in there and we'll support you whichever way you choose to go.

Michelle

Can anyone tell me why we PB: Why we slime and barf so much?

Every time I eat, I take a few bites, then I have to stop. Chest feels like heart attack then I begin to slime, and I have to go to sink and spit for a while. Sometimes, it turns out I have to throw up. Other times, its a lot of burping and spitting slime. Why didn't we burp and slime before getting the band? I guess that will answer why we do it now. But why do we do it now. Please help. How do we stop doing it. It is embarassing in public...

Carol

Oh my...Peanuts (and ALMONDS!!!)

Salties have always been my weakness. Most of the time I can grab a few to cut the craving, but sometimes I talk myself into believing they are "great protien". Definitely better than my old friend the potato chip, but I really have to watch 'cause if can get our of control SO easily!

Manatee...

Certainly didn't want to hear that you'd have to go under the knife again. That's not good. I guess the one bright side is that they can replace it and you don't have to give up your band. If you don't mind me asking, were you cash pay...do you have to pay for the revision yourself or will insurance kick in? Did you say you have United HealthCare (that's my insurance too)? If I ever had to pay for a revision I would surely be kissing my plastic reconstruction good bye. It's one thing to go into this on a cash pay knowing what the cost will be, but I think we all fear the dreaded unknown complication and costs involved.

Let us know when you have to go in, you're in my thoughts & prayers

Sue

Carol...

It's food getting stuck in the band and backing up into the esophogus. The best ways I've found to avoid it is to drink something hot before I eat (water or tea), it loosens the band and lets food pass. The biggest thing is to start slow. I find it's when I'm really hungry that I grab that first bite ot two and forget to really chew, chew, chew...and there I am with the lump in my chest. Drinking the hot Water first opens the band, helps slow me down and curbs that intense hunger that leads my to swallow too quickly. This almost always works for me, but maybe others have tricks too.

Sue

Good Luck with the revision/replacement. I am sure that it is easier the second time around....now that you are a veteran! You are lucky that they caught it now.

Please keep us posted......we still need the male voice on this thread!

Metal

Carol

I agree with what Sue said, try drinking hot tea or even hot broth first. It helps me slow down. Also I have hear of something called the "First bite syndrom", I think it is where the first few bites cause problems, then after that you are okay. Just remeber to go slow, chew, chew, chew.... and then chew some more. Hope it gets better for you!

Laura

Manatee- So sorry to hear about your band! I am sure the surgery will be a lot easier now that you are 100lbs. lighter! Congrats on the great number!

I haven't been on much lately and just wanted to check in and say "hi!". Hope everyone is doing okay. I have kinda stalled on my weight loss...though I am officially down 73lbs since surgery and 90 from my highest weight ever. It is my own fault though...I haven't been to the gym in 2 months (my husband spent 2 months in the hospital and things got a little too crazy...life happens I guess!) and I haven't exactly made the right food choices (I am a starbucks-a-holic and have gradually gone from getting a tall to a venti sized non-fat caramel macchiato---just b/c it says non-fat, doesn't mean you can have a big one). I also started a new job and it has been hard coordinating my home life, starting a new job with a crazy schedule for orientation, and getting to the gym. I am definately going tomorrow though!! I am making it a priority!

Manatee...I am so sorry to hear about your band. Like it has been said before, keep up posted. We'll definately be thinking good thoughts for you!

Laureli...

How's your husband doing now, that sounds so stressful. Can sure understand the attention shifting during a time like that.

I had a really good evening, I actually went shopping for pants and ENJOYED it. I bought my first size 12, and they fit great! I still haven't found the right jeans yet. It's the same old story as before I gained weight, so many of the jeans are slim or flare cut legs. If they fit in the legs, they're huge in the waist, if they fit in the waist they are totally clinging to my ugly saddlebags...yuck!

The good news is I'm looking for a new brand of jeans because the brand I've worn for years start at size 14...too big! I love my band!

Sue

Laurelli - Wow, you may be stalled (like most of us) but your have done tremendously in the wght loss dept! Fantastic! What size band do you have..how many cc's in it. Could it be time for anotuer fill? Sorry your life is so stressful now. It's understandable that you would be starting to slip back to the old ways. We have all been there.

Sue - Your posts always are a blessings. You brighten up my day.

How thrilling to be in 12's! I'm still in my 14's and they fit perfect. I can't wait to loose 5-10 pds so that I can wear 12's!!!!!! I love the skinny jeans or the skinny's with a flare because my legs are my best asset. It's my tummy that is the problem. But, I love those undergarments like Spanx..I loose a inch off my tummy when I wear them (I'm never without one). But, I don't like the ones that have the panties in them..I like the ones that are like a camisole. They are long so I pull them over my tummy..wala, no roles or mushroom!

Blessings all,

Weazer

Funny observation today.... last minute shoppers....

I was at the mall... picking up some more massage oil.... you wouldnt believe the amount of men running around... in and out of jewelry stores..every other man there had a Victoria's Secret bag....all of them had this frantic look on their faces... I just had to giggle to myself a little.

On a positive note... I think I'm too small for Lane Bryant!!! How wonderful is that?!?!

Melissa : I was in Wal-Mart today and noticed the same thing. Men all standing in the card isle, too funny. It is so wonderful that you are too small for Lane Bryan!!!! congrats!

Weazer : I am with you on the spandex thing. I never leave home without it. My doc also said it would help with my skin not sagging so much. Kinda like what your bra does for you. My skin can go back (as much as it will at my age) in place if it is supported. Pluse the spandex helps my clothes look and fit better.

Sue: Way to go on the size 12 jeans. You go girl!!!!

Oh, the scales have been kinda slow moving lately. So I have been working real hard to keep to the rules and exercise etc. I was determined that I was going to see 167 this week. Been at 168 for two weeks now. Got on the scales yesterday morning and .... 166.... yea....I was happy, just by-passed that old 167. I am happy to see the scales move again. (I guess cutting out the ice cream makes a big diffrence, "Ya Think" DUH!!!)

Take care all,

Laura

Why can I not say "NO" to sweets. I teach pre-k part time................Valentine's parties galore today. This is so rediculous! You would think I could say "NO" by now.

MelissaO- Congrats on the LB NSV. I think I will still be there until after my TT. I will thank the kids for that one! (like it's their fault) HA!