Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Does anyone ever do that? Every once in a while I think....Oh my god this is really happening, I might actually be thin after all! After so many failed attempts and yo yo diets.....this could actually work!!!!

Oh my God YES........I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall. The old me that falls off the diet wagon into a big vat of cheese fries.:faint:But, then I remember, I am not alone in this war. I have my weapons...... my band and this site. :)

I just feel blessed everyday!!! Sometimes it just feels UN REAL!!! Like I dont deserve this...I am waiting for something to happen.

Sandra

255h/242s/196c/165g

Sandra,

Me too. It hasn't really hit me yet that this is forever, not a yo yo fad diet that I'll eventually gain back. But it is, it's real and here to stay!

Hooray!

Cindy

This is long but I had to post it....it is such good info.

Great band fill info for Newbies

Thanks again to Wendell for posting this elsewhere. It deserves its own thread. Great information to educate us...

This may help you in understanding the restrictive mechanism of a Lap-Band. The INAMED protocol for Lap-Band fills calls for a six-week delay after surgery, prior to any fills. The purpose for the six-week delay is for the patient’s stomach to heal from the surgery, as well as allowing time for the Lap-Band to “Seat” or “Nestle” into the fat pad between the stomach wall and the interior wall of the Lap-Band. Prior to receiving an EFFECTIVE fill, it is VERY uncommon to have any restriction from a Lap-Band. Some patients will NOT lose weight, or may even GAIN weight until they have received an effective fill in their Lap-Band. Normal weight loss with a properly restricted Lap-Band is between 1 and 2 pounds per week.

The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows:

1. The patient's Lap-Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to two weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to two weeks after the fill. That is why the INAMED protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap-Band.

3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.

4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient.

5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap-Band to become loose again.

6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap-Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food.

7. The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again.

Most Lap-Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap-Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap-Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater. It is not uncommon for a late-stage Lap-Band patient to experience a significant difference in restriction with as little as .05cc of fill.

Kacee

Officially on the a-MAY-zing BANDwagon!!! biggrin1.gif

Thanks Weazer - good to read that info again.

Great info! Sometimes I just burst into a smile for no reason other then I am losing weight and for the first time not thinking about how long this time before it is all back on. It just seems to easy sometimes . . . like it should be hard to be this successful. I am very thankful for my band and wish I had done it earlier too.

Kudos for Sue and I for walking the loop around an entire golf course that had killer hills in it!!

I know what you mean about it being easy.....not that it is totally easy but I am not miserable like other times I have dieted and lost weight.

The fact that I get up and its going to be another day of eating healthy portions and hopefully weight loss is just unbelievable to me!

Last night I had a slime episode and I know it was my fault. If my band had not been there I would have eaten a whole steak instead of the 6 or 7 small bites. Maybe next time I will not have to count on the band to help.....I will just know how much to eat and how slow to do it. Eventually it will be a learned behavior....it obviously does not come naturally for us!

I love my band......and my moments of realization that this is for life!

Okay, I did not tell anyone at work that I had this surgery. I felt it was my bussiness and personal. And now I am so very glad that I did. One of my co-workers, (a very skinny one) stopped me in the hall and said "Why Laura, you sure do look like you have lost some weight, what kind of diet are you on?" I told her Thank you, and that I was eating less and exercising. (not a lie). She said "Well at least you didnt do like this lady I know and have that STUPID surgery where they put a rubber band around your stomach, you know they have to go in every month and tie the rubber band tigher. She is just crazy" I wanted so bad to jump right in the middle of her, but I just smiled and said "Well, I bet she had her reasons, and I think me need to be careful what we say because we just dont know until we are put in the same position. Who knows what you would do if you were FAT and diets didnt work for you." She had this look of shock on her face. I just smiled and walked away. Sure made me glad that I choose not to tell anyone at work, it could be me that she would be talking about behind my back.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Laura

Hi LauraP, Well you did wonderful at telling your coworker the what too, and what ifs. I commend you for keeping level headedmand congrats on your weight loss your and inspiration.

Good Luck, Sheila

Thanks Sheila........

Oh, do we have a September challenge going on? I didnt see one, or did I just miss it?

I have not told anyone at work....so yesterday I get a voice mail that should have gone to someone I work with but the new receptionist put it in mine by mistake. The message was from a bariatric center saying they would like to set up a consult and that she would have to go to another seminar.

To anyone else they would have deleted it and not known what it was about but I assume this girl is waiting for this call. I know how important it is. I did not know how to handle it but I just forwarded it on to her without saying a word. I do not know her well but her secret is soooo safe with me...I just wish she knew it.

I figure better left unsaid!

Laura...

Sounds like you handles that perfectly. I'm learning more and more how NOT to judge other people. When you're young & ignorant you see a perfect world, with everything in your control. Once you've gone through a few ups and donw you find out that everyone has their own history and there own reference from which they make their decisions. I'm a lot more tolerant than I was in my 20's. BUT...I do fight the urge to walk up to severly overweight prople and tell them I have a secret that could change theri lives!!!

Sue

I feel the same way Sue. There is a very large miserable looking woman down the street from me. I see her and my heart just breaks for her. She rides her bike once in a while and has a house full of small children. I wish I could tell her about the lap band!

I can just imagine how that would have made me feel if someone had come up to me and suggested I get surgery for obesity though. So I refrain unless its someone I know who more than likely will be the one to ask me all about my surgery and my progress!