Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your depression subside?

I've been battling depression on and off since 2010. It went away for a bit, but something told me it wasn't going to be away forever. College graduation was a fun time, and I finished at the ripe age of 19! This was in 2011. That night I moved from Orlando to Nashville and began building a good career and resume in the entertainment/music business. My weight continued to spiral upwards as I started climbing the ladder of a cut-throat industry that's completely centered image...so that didn't help any.

One Sunday afternoon, I got a call one day that the little record label I worked at was closing its doors immediately. At that point I was forced to move back to DFW. It took me some time readjust, but I found a good job and was happy again. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. Depression hit me hard and fast in January of 2013 and has been there all along. More weight came with that, and I think I've gained around 100 pounds since starting college in August 2009.

I know I'm only 22, but this past year I've felt like a "has been" - like all my success is in the past and there's nothing to look forward to. I'm not even interested in things I used to love (music, television, film, media) and find myself saying things like, "What's the point? It doesn't matter." The only thing I feel like doing is sleeping...and before my liquid diet, eating. I was prescribed to take Lexipro in July of 2013. I suppose it's doing it's job, but the effects are starting to taper off.

My surgery is on Tuesday (three more days!) and I couldn't be more excited. I feel like I might be turning over a new leaf. It's my understanding that depression can be a lifelong battle, but I'm curious to hear from you how your depression subsided after surgery and how you started to rediscover life. Tell me about your journey beforehand too. Has anyone felt this way? I hope I'm not alone.

I won't attest to knowing anything about what is termed 'depression', but I've been around quite awhile and anybody that has can certainly attest to life's ups and downs. I've certainly had my share, with more to come, I'm sure.

But obesity has been a big part of my life for a long time and all that comes with it, is certainly not pleasant. Of late it even has become much worse as I found it more and more difficult to effect any change.

Then along came this last ditch opportunity and I figured I had nothing to lose, so I'll give it one last push. Well, I would have to say smiles count as "subsiding depression". The smiles change my mood and my desires and that is changing my entire life. I get out more, mingle more, try more things, talk to people more......and smile more.

Does WLS cure depression? I don't know, but then I'm too busy smiling to care. Good luck and feel better. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I've been battling depression on and off since 2010. It went away for a bit, but something told me it wasn't going to be away forever. College graduation was a fun time, and I finished at the ripe age of 19! This was in 2011. That night I moved from Orlando to Nashville and began building a good career and resume in the entertainment/music business. My weight continued to spiral upwards as I started climbing the ladder of a cut-throat industry that's completely centered image...so that didn't help any.

One Sunday afternoon, I got a call one day that the little record label I worked at was closing its doors immediately. At that point I was forced to move back to DFW. It took me some time readjust, but I found a good job and was happy again. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. Depression hit me hard and fast in January of 2013 and has been there all along. More weight came with that, and I think I've gained around 100 pounds since starting college in August 2009.

I know I'm only 22, but this past year I've felt like a "has been" - like all my success is in the past and there's nothing to look forward to. I'm not even interested in things I used to love (music, television, film, media) and find myself saying things like, "What's the point? It doesn't matter." The only thing I feel like doing is sleeping...and before my liquid diet, eating. I was prescribed to take Lexipro in July of 2013. I suppose it's doing it's job, but the effects are starting to taper off.

My surgery is on Tuesday (three more days!) and I couldn't be more excited. I feel like I might be turning over a new leaf. It's my understanding that depression can be a lifelong battle, but I'm curious to hear from you how your depression subsided after surgery and how you started to rediscover life. Tell me about your journey beforehand too. Has anyone felt this way? I hope I'm not alone.

I have battled depression since 2003 and tried a lot of different meds that year.. I decided to deal without the meds (too many unpleasant side effects). I also got myself out of an abusive marriage and that helped alleviate the depression. To be honest, it's something that is going to come and go your whole life. It's how you choose to deal with it that matters. I was sleeved on 2/28/14 and I was depressed the first 2 days after. I cried and questioned what I had done to myself. I called myself a f*cking frankenstein. I think that was attributed to being in a lot of pain because I had a hiatal and umbilical hernia repaired during my sleeve surgery. I can tell you that I wake up every morning and look at my body in the mirror and notice it changing/shrinking and that alone brings me hope and happiness. Once you are able to exercise, you should- it's a natural depression fighter. Hopefully in time you won't need lexapro. Depression isn't easy, I have bouts of it all the time.. But, I choose not to be a victim, I choose to rise above it. You are stronger than you think. Focus on one aspect of your life that you want to change/improve at a time and everything else will follow. ((Hugs)) hang in there :)