Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low blood sugar

Has anyone suffered from low blood sugar after banding? And if so was it worse? What were you able to do in order to help control it?

Hi--Before I was banded, I suffered from low blood sugar a few times a week. After banding, I haven't had a single episode! The reason?? I have cut WAY back on carbs and have increased my Protein. The protein takes longer to break down than carbs and helps me maintain a more steady blood sugar level. I also have LOTS more energy and feel WAY better than before when I was eating carb after carb after carb. I also make sure I have a high protein snack with me during the day "just in case". If I start feeling pretty hungry between meals, I eat it to avoid wolfing down my food at the meal later and paying dearly for it! I DO still eat carbs.....not doing Atkins by any means.....but just am sure I eat the protein first as recommended by my nutritionist. It really does work!! Good luck to you!!

Originally posted by lmtorb

Hi--Before I was banded, I suffered from low blood sugar a few times a week. After banding, I haven't had a single episode! The reason?? I have cut WAY back on carbs and have increased my Protein. The Protein takes longer to break down than carbs and helps me maintain a more steady blood sugar level. I also have LOTS more energy and feel WAY better than before when I was eating carb after carb after carb. I also make sure I have a high protein snack with me during the day "just in case". If I start feeling pretty hungry between meals, I eat it to avoid wolfing down my food at the meal later and paying dearly for it! I DO still eat carbs.....not doing Atkins by any means.....but just am sure I eat the protein first as recommended by my nutritionist. It really does work!! Good luck to you!!

Thank you! I am in the process of trying to get approved by my insurance to get banded. My insurance sounds like they will do it! Fingers crossed! I do have problems with low blood sugar a couple of times a week as well so it sounds promising that it shouldn't get worse if I take care of myself.

I had a few problems with bloodsugar levels post-op but I found that by spacing my shakes about four hours apart and it evened me right out. Once I was back on "normal" food I have not noticed any problems. ;-)

I've been banded for 2 weeks now and I'm having some problems with low blood sugar last couple of days. Been feeling kind of "out of it" and unable to concentrate so my formerly diabetic friend (she's had the gastric bypass) tested my blood and my sugar was in the 50's and it said that I was hypo-glycemic. This morning I was craving more ruffage and ate a bowl of Kashi high Protein Cereal with some plain soy milk & grapes. Up till this point I've been sticking to my post-surgery diet - Proteins, cooked vegies & fruits. Cereal (starches), even low sugar, wasn't suppose to be on that list.

Still waiting for my Dr to contact me. Hypo-glycemia runs in my family. Anyone have any thoughts? Could I have made it worse by what I ate? :confused2:

I can only say what my experience has been with low blood sugar. When I eat sugary/starchy carbs and not enough Protein I have the yo-yo effect spikes up, (but not in the diabetic range...at least that I'm aware of) then crashes. But when I eat only small amounts of those (or none) carbs and eat "good" carbs and Protein, no problems at all. In the "good" category for me are low glycemic fruits (mainly berries), whole grains, green veggies, small baked sweet potatoes, squash (summer and winter), legumes, etc. I can eat the "bad" carbs, but in small quantities and along with better choices.

The trouble was before banding "small quantity" was much bigger. :thumbdown: It seems to be a ratio thing to keep my blood sugar more even.

My Dr said to moniter my blood when I wake up in the am for 7 days. If they're too low I need to see my general Dr. He said blood levels in the 50's weren't great but if it gets into the 40's then I need to worry. I broke down and had a piece of bread (ok I still feel guilty about it) but I felt great for the rest of the day.

Agree with what was already said - I had a lot of trouble with low blood sugar before banding and haven't had problems since. I think it is because I am eating so healthy and the reason I am eating so healthy is because the band has allowed me to stay satisfied between meals. I am not as prone to loading up on empty simple carbs, which I am pretty sure are what cause problems with blood sugar. Anyway, it was a concern of mine before surgery,too,and it hasn't been an issue.

My blood surger was just fine this am. Perhaps I spiked it yesterday and it crashed but either way I'm feeling ok today. And I'm staying away from the starches.