Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Delayed! Is recovering alone a good idea?

So I expected to be approved by now, but for reasons I have yet to ascertain, my insurance company has yet to receive my application from the councilor at my surgeon's office (who for some reason acts as a middle man). I'll get more information on Monday, I hope, but for now I'm starting to worry about timing. I had been hoping to be able to schedule surgery during a break I have in my semester (which would be in June), but now I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the semester is over, which would be July. The the only problem is, my partner will very likely be deployed then, which would leave me all alone in our third floor walk up apartment. We live very far away from my family, and my mother says she doesn't think she'll be able to come over to help me out since inter-continental plane tickets during the summer tend to be pretty expensive.

Did anyone here recover alone? Is it doable, or something to be avoided at all costs? I'm worried about lifting things (like laundry) and especially about shopping if my taste buds change too much after surgery for what I will have stocked up on. We live in a city and don't have a car, so for me to get anything from a shop, I'd have to ride public transportation for quite a ways.

Edited by WhoKnows

Hi if I were you I would not call but show up unannounced to ensure your progress sends your information, that's what I did because people will tell you anything over the phone . Good luck .

You also wanted it submitted ASAP because it rakes time to feet approved as well as surgery date.

Hi if I were you I would not call but show up unannounced to ensure your programs sends your information, that's what I did because people will tell you anything over the phone . Good luck .

You're probably right. I'm just always so afraid of seeming rude or offending people by being pushy, especially since there's always a language and culture barrier for me here... My big fear is that someone important will passive-aggressively not give me the best or speediest service because I hassled them. Silly, I know, but I worry.

If you had to recover alone, you'd be fine. I had surgery Wednesday, home Thursday, driving Friday. :)

Do you think you would you have been ok on your own without the car?

I was basically alone. I have a roommate, but I didn't have any intention to ask her to help take care of me. I have stairs that I was fine going up and down the day after I got home. I did have my dad to go to the store for me, if i needed. But I was fine alone. I did wait almost a week to drive.

I'm just over 3 weeks out and am still sleeping on my couch, as my big incision still hurts a lot and I've tried my bed and just couldn't get comfortable, or not hurt.

Who knows I'm telling you from experience I have been waiting 8 months and I was only required 6 months because my paperwork was not completed on time and fax to wrong doctor because I switch surgeons , now I'm on the right track at a center of excelence hospital and just hot approved for surgery. Now I'm just waiting for my date . Keep me posted .

When you talk to them next time, explain to them exactly what you said to us. It's reasonable to want to be able to try working it into your schedule. June is far enough away, it's not like your trying to push them into doing this next week or even next month. Good luck, but be persistent.

Do you think you would you have been ok on your own without the car?

Since I had my dad bring me home in my car (I have an SUV and his car is real low to the ground) my car was at his house for over a week. I was totally fine not having it. I did have him take me to the store once in the time, though.

After reading through this again, I see you need public transit. While I didn't or don't have that option where I live, I can't imagine I would have had an issue riding a bus or train. I would suggest having or getting or asking the surgeon for an abdominal binder. It's helpful regardless, but would be super helpful to have on a bouncy public transit ride. I used to live in Chicago, and If still did, I feel I wouldn't have had any problems riding the cta.

Edited by Sarahjane79

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll see if I can push for June, and on Monday I'll call my surgeon (the automated email response I received today from the councilor at the office said she was out this whole week, so I couldn't get any info today). Hopefully everything will go smoothly form here on out, and I'll post with an update when/if there's one to be had!

The only thing you may need is a ride home from the hospital. And some hospitals may require it. Other than that you should be fine as long as you make the preparations ahead of time. My surgeon ordered my wife not to baby me, make me get up and fix my own food and stuff. They want you to be active right away.