Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Exercise or Not When You are Sick

So I have a pretty bad cold, swollen glands, runny eyes, the whole 9 yards. I feel really crappy, but don't want to get out of the routine of going to the gym. My friend mentioned that working out when you're sick can sometimes weaken the immune system and make it harder to get over it. What do you all think? Do you work out when you are not feeling great, or take some time off to rest up?

I don't think that's the case in the typical run-of-the-mill cold/flu etc scenario.

While we don't feel like doing exercise, and promoting strenuous breathing while clogged up/dripping/sneezy/etc isn't something I personally believe is necessary, there is considerable argument regarding 'immune system' response to nearly anything we do.

I was taught that activity that stimulates freer circulation of the white-blood-cell containing fluids (notably spleen) actually increases the immune response. Of course there is a host of modern research demonstrating the complexities of our immune system, yet what I observed over my practice career can not be totally ignored.

A simplistic yet accurate-enough explanation at http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/body_basics/spleen.html

If you google enough you will find ample support for AND against any particular question you may want to study.

For my own response to various petty illnesses, I find that while I don't follow a 'vigorous' exercise routine, walking and moving about tends to hasten my recovery from any of the 'achy-what's THIS coming on' moments. As a geezer with other bodily impairments, home chores & gardening on my little rural acre o'heaven, gives me considerable activity without the excesses of gym programs. I did plenty of those 50 years ago, and don't consider them indicated for my current phase. I do consider 'keeping busy' essential as part of my own 'wellness plan'.

There are some very opinionated positions on nearly every aspect of health and the absence thereof.

I've noted in the virtual decade since my Band installation, I actually haven't been 'sick'....but I've always had an excellent immune response system.

Edited by Jack

Personally, I rest up, drink a ton of fluids, and get back at it when feeling better. And I wouldn't want to use a machine just used by a sick person... Might be a good time to take a walk outside if you still want to exercise! Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by Teachamy

I have had the same situation twice. (I actually even posted a few weeks ago about my "fear" of how my "OFF" days from exercising could lead me down the road of quitting altogether). This is what I do now.... I don't go to the gym for the first two days I'm feeling sick. Then, assuming I'm not fully recovered and still feeling yucky, but not miserable, I go to the gym and just ride the stationary bike for a limited amount of time. I also do some stretching exercises. I do not break a sweat. I just move and stay in the mindset of continuing to go to the gym. I've done this twice before, and it's helped me crush the fear of one day OFF becoming a lifetime of OFF. Best Wishes and I hope you start feeling well soon!

Do you work out when you are not feeling great, or take some time off to rest up?

livvsmum

awwwwwww come on girlfriend

are you kidding me?????

i agree with Teachamy

rest, sleep, drink plenty of fluids

oh no!!!! i sound like my mother :D

the eliptical, treadmill and weights will still be their when you feel better :)

you are realllllly close to to enterring the century club

i'm holding the door open for you :)

i don't want you coming in sneezing and coughing :o :D

feel better

kathy

Do you work out when you are not feeling great, or take some time off to rest up?

livvsmum

awwwwwww come on girlfriend

are you kidding me?????

i agree with Teachamy

rest, sleep, drink plenty of fluids

oh no!!!! i sound like my mother :D

the eliptical, treadmill and weights will still be their when you feel better :)

you are realllllly close to to enterring the century club

i'm holding the door open for you :)

i don't want you coming in sneezing and coughing :o :D

feel better

kathy

You are too funny. I think that is part of what bugs me the most. Now I'm stuck at 1 pound away from 100 lost and normally I would head to the gym and work that pound off ....lol. This was not perfect timing. :-)

So I have a pretty bad cold, swollen glands, runny eyes, the whole 9 yards. I feel really crappy, but don't want to get out of the routine of going to the gym.

Soooo, that was you sneezing and slobbering all over all of the machines I was using yesterday . I must've used ten rolls of paper towels wiping things down, not to mention choking on the disinfectant I kept spraying in my mouth. :blink:

if you are sick, your sick

but if feeling better, maybe a walk or something....listen to your body

feel better soon

Girl, rest an get better. Those machines will still be there in a few days.

Personally I would rest and let my body heal up. That last pound will come girl. Give yourself a tiny break.

My own opinion? Get up and walk around a lil bit if you feel like it, but otherwise, get some rest! Your body needs to be able to put energy into getting you better. If you push it too far, you may just prolong your illness. Hope you feel better soon!

I would not go to the gym if you are sick. They do not clean the machines after each persons use and you would just be spreading germs to others. If it's nice out side take a walk if not then rest and get the fluids in.