Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs Gastric Bypass

Hi, I am new to this forum so if this question has already been answered to death then please point me in the right direction.

Why choose lap band over gastric bypass? I am about to have an over-the-phone consulation with Surgical Weightloss Center and would like to know why YOU guys have all chosen lap band.

thanks,

I chose the lab-band because it was less invasive, and if i ever developed complication's the band could be removed. With gastric by-pass they have to cut your stomach and rearrange things inside you, beside that you have a long waiting list for the gastric by-pass. It was a decision i have never regretted. Good luck to you on journey and with what ever decision you make.

Maria :D

Ditto ^

Also, I like that this process is slower and you have the time to exercise and tighten your skin so you don't have the excess flab there. That was very important. I also loved that it's removeable and the fact that it seems less dangerous than the Gastric Bypass.. Thinking of them taking out a piece of my stomach and rearranging my insides... uh no thanks!

Hi Leslie,

I chose lap-band over RNY for several reasons.

In order:

1. Safer. Statistics show that RNY is 10 times riskier

(1/200 RYN vs. 1/2000 band I believe)

2. No malabsorbsion.

3. Less invasive - no cutting, stapling, re-routing or removing.

4. Less likelihood of regaining weight - which is my particular

problem area.

5. Time - I could have lap-band in 3 weeks, instead of having to wait

3 years. I had to deal with this now.

5. Reversible

Downside: Cost, slower weight loss.

Some may find that the necessary follow ups, ie fills, can be problematic - but my clinic is extremely convenient, within walking distance of my office so it was not an issue with me.

Hope this helps.

Alex

I have to agree with my fellow bandies. I chose the band because I like the idea of being able to reverse my decision in years to come if I need to or feel like it. I liked the stats of safety, overall health, weight maintenance, and weight control more so than other operations. And although some would call it a con I like the idea of a more gradual weight loss so as to quell the questions and also to keep my skin and body looking and feeling good. :D

Yup...ditto....all of the above.

Also, if you do a search (tab at top) you will find dozens of threads on this very question; thereby obtaining a wealth of answers to this query!

Ditto to all of the above, and if not mentioned specifically the cost and the shorter/easier recovery times.

Andrew

Hi I'm Holly:wave: :) (newbie also looking into banding)

I choose to look into banding because:

1. no malabsorption problems

2. less possibility of extra skin and flab

3. adjustable

4. no cutting and re-arranging the plumbing :lol:

HTH :gluck:

I choose banding after about three months of research

what won me over was the less invasive like most people

totally reversible band

easy to fix if it breaks

if you need to change to another form of weight loss you can with relative ease.

comfort with the surgeons experience with the procedure (I think I was patient 60 or so for Yau)

the fact that I can still eat everything with the RNY I might have dumping etc.

the results of the band and the RNY tend to be very similar over the long term