Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Washington State Survey FYI

Notice the Conclusion at bottom. Something we harp on all the time! Something to show banders who have fallen off the Bandwagon maybe?

Since this is a voluntary survey, it's not really scientific, but it is indicative of what we see on this forum every day.

Patients' experience and outcomes after laparoscopic adjustable gastric

banding in Washington state.

Lin VW , Wright A, Flum DR, Garrison LP Jr, Alfonso-Cristancho R, Sullivan SD.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:There is very little evidence regarding the real world experience and outcomes

after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB). Our objective was to estimate the amount

of postoperative weight loss, change in co-morbidity status, and complications after LAGB. The

setting was LAGB surgical centers in Washington state.

METHODS:A cross-sectional survey was developed to collect primary data from patients who

had undergone LAGB in Washington state from 2004 to 2010. The survey contained questions on

patient characteristics, weight change, co-morbidities, and complications after LAGB surgery. We

used descriptive and other statistical tests to evaluate our key research questions by the period

since LAGB.

RESULTS:A total of 1556 surveys were sent out, and 790 were returned (response rate 50.8%).

Responders were categorized into 4 groups according to the follow-up period: <2, 2-3, 3-4, and

>4 years. The corresponding average body mass index reduction in each group was 21.0%,

22.5%, 21.3%, and 20.4%. Of the respondents, 21.7%, 34.8%, 44.6%, and 38.7% indicated they

did not have any adjustments in the year preceding the survey. The percentage of respondents

who had undergone additional operations related to LAGB was 8.6%. Specifically, 3.6% of the

respondents had undergone either band removal or conversion to another type of bariatric

operation.

CONCLUSION:We found that although LAGB appeared to be beneficial for weight reduction and

improving co-morbidities, the underuse of band adjustments and significant rate of treatment

failure might limit the long-term effectiveness of LAGB.

Copyright © 2013 American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Published by Elsevier

Inc. All rights reserved.

the band has helped me lose over 160 pounds

i am forever thankful/grateful..and i happily tell people that the band works..if anything was to happen due to complications, i would remain forever grateful to what the band has given me back.....mobility and my life and me being able to walk WITH my granddaughter. i am a happy woman.....i will always wish anyone who has any WLS the best of luck...as we all should....

(complications or not).

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Do you have a link to this study?

It's not a study, it's simply a survey. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22578289

Self reported data on surveys is huge in research, although there can be limitations (as with all research). This was a study that suggested getting a band is helpful for weight loss but only if patients get adjustments. It also showed that very few people have complications and band removal. That is pretty good news.