Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Our health system/my hospital charge

There is something wrong with our Health Care System. I checked the insurance claims and the HOSPITAL alone charged $85,932.93 for my surgery and 2 day stay. Thank God it was approved and of course they didn't get nearly this much from Tricare...

amazing

That seems excessive. Once I was in our local hospital in intensive care, then transferred by ambulance to Mass General for over two weeks, part of that time in intensive care, tons of tests, and had plasma pheresis five times. I was under the care of the head of neurology because of the rarity of my condition, so that wasn't cheap either. The whole bill for two hospitals, ambulance, expensive experimental treatments,and three neurologists came to about 50K.

Which was 100% covered by BCBSRI, thank God!!!

When was that? I thought that was excessive as well

It was about 15 years ago. It's a long time, I know, but I was there for a long time and the plasma was one of the most expensive things on the itemized bill. The plasma and pheresis was almost half of the cost. It was considered an experimental treatment at the time (but it saved me from permanent nerve damage, being on a respirator, and many, many months of physical therapy).

A lot can change in 15 years but it was still too high I agree

The system is totally screwed up. I had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks ago. 6 hours total at the hospital $17,114. And over the summer I had a heart catherization done- spent 8 hours and it cost $20,663. I have great BCBS so it was covered in full but what in the heck do people without insurance do? Both of those were immediately necessary.

My daughter is uninsured. She was really sick last week and developed a secondary infection. She went to the doctor's office and they only charged her $35 (insured cost is $170, uninsured self-pay with cash $35). Big difference, wouldn't you say?

It has always been less for the self pay.....did I say that of that nearly 86K, Tricare paid them under $4500.00??

It has always been less for the self pay.....did I say that of that nearly 86K, Tricare paid them under $4500.00??

Now THAT I believe! Why can't everything just cost what it costs. If healthcare costs were reasonable then health insurance would be reasonable.