Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever get a surgery date?

Has anyone else experienced this? I started this journey in September 2013. I went to a seminar and then made an appointment to meet with the Nutritionist and get started. That was the day after Thanksgiving, November 27th. All through December, in the midst of moving, and the holidays, I spent many days having lab tests, and breathing tests, and xrays, and stress tests, etc....I went to the three workshops in January and was led to believe my surgery would be the second week of February. I didn't hear anything so I called the surgery center and they advised me that my insurance requires me to be in the progam for three months before they can submit my paperwork. Ok, so that makes the first day they can submit my paperwork Feb 27th. They gave me a final date to meet with the surgeon, Feb 19th and the final meeting with the nurse, March 3rd. And still I am waiting.....I am so afraid that by the time they schedule the surgery I will have to start all the labwork again.....I have been struggling every day to keep myself motivated. I waiver back and forth between trying to behave with my diet and eating things that I feel like I will never have again. I am trying really hard to stay positive but it's been discouraging. Help!

WOW, that's a long time, but in the end it will be worth it. As far as labs, don't worry about those. Once you get your date you will be required to get a chest x-ray, blood work, and maybe a couple of other things prior to the surgical date, but you should be good. I'd give it another day or 2 and then call again.

Please, don't be discouraged. I began in October 2013. My pre-op appointment with the surgeon is March 24th. Hopefully, my surgery date will be mid April. I felt like giving up too. I kept getting the runaround from my PCP who quit just shy of my final weigh-in of my 4 month diet, so I had to find a new PCP at a moment's notice. I had to take the psych evaluation twice because of some error on the report. That threw me back 3 weeks before it could be submitted to insurance. Finally, got approval but couldn't get last (pre-op) appointment with surgeon scheduled until I retook my TSH blood test again because it was abnormal in December but no one ever told me until the last minute. So, here I am. Trust me. I definitely understand your frustration. I feel like I could've used that time focusing on a lifestyle change. I've taken up some crafting hobbies to pass the time as well. It kind of works for me. Your day will be here before you know it. Good luck & best wishes to you!!

I began my journey December 2012!! Finally got my date last month.

I am also feeling like it's not going to happen for me!!! I've seen and been cleared by everyone that needed to clear me! I had my surgeon consult February 25th at that point he told me my request would be submitted to my insurance. I have my final pre-op nut class on Monday. I'm especially anxious because I'm a single mom and I don't know what I'm going to do wit my boys (2 &9)!!!!! Also my job requires like a mint in advanced of requests for time off!!!! I can't stop thinking about it even though I have a lot of other things going on!!!! :0

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. They finally called me yesterday very late in the day. I am scheduled for March 25th....finally! I thought I would be more excited but I have been so sick with a nasty flu that I could barely lift my head up.Didn't tell them how lousy I have been feeling for fear they would cancel or postpone on me. I am feeling slightly better today and hopefully will be able to keep something in my system. Been out of work for almost an entire week already....lost another 10 lbs in the process but it was a very tough way to lose it. Trying to get my head straightened around now and back into weight loss mode. I just want to be able to move around better and feel better...that is the ultimate goal here. I will keep everyone posted and thanks again to everyone and good luck.....

Congratulations on your date, that's just around the corner. Do you have a liquid Protein diet to follow? I've had to do a 15 day Meal Replacement with Protein shakes. At first they didn't seem that bad, but after all this time they seem overly sweet and I'm bored of them which is bad because I'm going to be having them for a LONG time. I have samples of many varieties but I don't want to try them until after my surgery. I've read that your tastes change, so if I like it now, who knows later. Keep us posted and again congratulations.

Hi SugarFreeMe....no I don't have a liquid diet to follow until after the surgery. I have been working on cutting back my portions and eating and drinking separately, etc.....but no liquid diet yet. I also have several different types of Protein Shakes to try but I am waiting also until after. I figure I will give myself as much variety as I can because I will be on liquids for about a month or so. Have you had your surgery yet? I am glad it's finally here and I can get on with this. Best of luck to you!