Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expectations

Guest ROBERTA JONES

Guest ROBERTA JONES

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has come to the realization yet that WLS is in no way the easy or fool proof way to be skinny? I had the Lap Band done June 26, 2003. To date I've lost 115 pounds. Had a Tummy Tuck and with not being able to work out for 3 months gained 10 pounds back.

I have gone to support groups and it seems to me that alot of people who are not mentally prepared for the commitment to diet are gaining the weight back. Both Gastric and Lap Band. WLS almost seems like a fad to me now and the success rates are dropping in my opinion because people aren't prepared to change their eating habits for the rest of their lives, which I think is what it takes. I think it's very important for people to remember that WLS is 1 tool to help with weight loss but not the complete answer. It is very possible to fail at this diet the way people have failed at others over the years including myself.

I've completed the 1st part of my journey but it will continue for the rest of my life. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Roberta, I think you are absolutely right in thinking that many people (most???) who have WLS think that's it - they've done their part - and then go their merry way without changing anything else.

The body is an amazing thing, how it can compensate for what we do to it. But the mind... WOW The mind is the most amazing thing of all.

We can change our thoughts and habits, but it takes work, and there is no quick fix. In the end, WLS is a tool to help us change our habits. I wish it was billed more that way, than as a way to "lose weight". Because again, I think for most people, that focus on "losing weight" is a false focus. The focus SHOULD be (IMHO) changing our habits and thought processes about food.

That is WAAAAY easier to do when our capacity for large quantities of food is removed, and that constant physical hunger is turned off. But, it doesn't happen automatically. So if we don't work on the mind part, when the body starts compensating, the weight will creep back on.

I certainly believe that compensation is not as drastic for the lapband as the RnY, but we still need to work on changing our habits, just in case we ever fall into that 1%-3% that must have our bands removed for whatever reason.

I agree that many think this is the be all end all only to find out this involves work and thinking. Firstly, this really is not a diet. This is meant to be a lifestyle change. It is a governor on our intake, there to remind us that we have issues with making good food choices. Diets are temporary. So is weight loss if you just lose it dieting most of the time. This is forever and yep, from one day to the next the weight can come right back on if you keep making the same wrong choices. :mad: Darn...

The coolest part, though... even though you may keep making those choices, the band doesn't leave. It just keeps on reminding you or shutting you down, even if you don't stop yourself.