Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal trainers

I'm thinking of getting a personal trainer. I don't exercise and I never have so I have a lot to learn. What do I need to look for in a trainer, what questions to ask? How much do you pay for a personal trainer?

Most gyms will have trainers they can match you up with. Do you know what gym you want to join? I would visit several. Some gyms can be kind of meat headish. My hubby joined us to a large gym. I would never have chosen it. It is nice though, and they offer lots of group classes too. Big gyms can be intimidating. There are lots of small ones out there. You may want to join, learn how to use the treadmills and ellipticals and just work on cardio for a bit before you spend money on a trainer. But if you feel a trainer would really help, then do it. At the gym I go to, the more days you see one, the cheaper it is. My hubby sees one once a week and it's $40 a session. You can do less too.

Best wishes!

I've never had a personal trainer, but from what I've read and seen on TV, I'd make sure the trainer I picked was one that didn't try to push me so hard that I got burned out. One trainer I saw interviewed bragged about how he pushed his people to the point where they threw up - that would get old to me fast and I'd dump him in a second. I would try to find a trainer that is able to see where my limits are and push me just beyond. I'd visit the gym your interested in and ask members who the favorite trainer is.

I've had several personal trainers. You won't always click with the person you are paired up with. SPEAK UP! If you aren't comfortable breaking up with your trainer face to face, tell management. But don't suffer and waste your money. Since you are new to gyms, you may consider a smaller gym or one just for women. I've had both male and female trainers and for me, it's all about personality. For your hour (or 1/2 hour) you should get their undivided attention 100% of that time. If you don't, get someone else. You can let your trainer know that one of your goals is to get comfortable at the gym so you'd like to try a lot of different activities and machines. Good luck!

I've had better success with trainers not associated with a gym. There are two downfalls with gym trainers. First usually the gym controls part or all of the pricing so you can end up paying more vs. working with someone free to negotiate a price. Second, you are limited to who is on staff at that location and only being able to workout there. I use a trainer 3 days a week. I interviewed several and she was the one I clicked with because we are the same age. Around the holidays, I asked her about the possibility of prepaying several months in advance in exchange for a break in price. This was a win-win, she got needed cash for holiday shopping and l got to keep my resolution to working out because I am pre-paid so no excuses I want to get my money's worth. Since I am not tied to a gym location, most days we workout at my house but occasionally we workout outside or I go to one of the group classes she teaches.

Trainers can cost a bit much at times, but they can be worth the money, especially if you just get one initially to help you through the initial process, knowledge transfer and how to perform the many types of lifts/movements with proper form/technique. They can be good to motivate and push you to new limits as well, but that's usually more long term and will cost more. I would just make sure you get a type of trail period before committing long term and with more money. Some are great, some are slack and some just are not always a good fit personality-wise. Wishing you the best!

I'm one of the lucky ones with cardiac issues. I don't feel trainers are knowledgeable enough about cardiac issues and will either be too cautious or unaware of the limits. So I basically just try to follow the limits set by my Cardiologists. Having to modivate myself with the stress of possibly keeling over and having to take heart rate limiting meds, (beta blockers) makes exercise sessions at the gym extra difficult.

I envy those with trainers.

Edited by Recycled

I would ask questions like

Are they knowledgable about WLS?

Any medical conditions you may have?

What their philosophy is on training?

What their goals would be for you?

If trainers are not knowledgeable on your health issues or Wls - are they willing to learn?

As everyone else has said it comes down to you feeling comfortable and well trained. However that is a two way street. You must speak up if they are pushing you too hard or not enough. If an exercise hurts you must say something. Training does no good if you are out with an injury.