Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian Chili

The thought of spring and all the yummy veggies and produce that will soon be reaching us has me so happy. There is nothing better then produce markets. No more grocery store until fall.

So here is a recipe for vegan chili. A little twist without meat but who needs meat when you have so much Protein in one bowl. The vegan crumbles you can get in any grocery store in the frozen section. Made from soy but you will never know it is not hamburger.

1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 medium onion, chopped

• 2 bay leaves

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin

• 2 tablespoons dried oregano

• 1 tablespoon salt

• 2 stalks celery, chopped

• 2 green bell peppers, chopped

• 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped

• 3 cloves garlic, chopped

• 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green Chile peppers, drained

• 2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles

• 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed

• 1/4 cup chili powder

• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper

• 1 (15 ounce) can kidney Beans, drained

• 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained

• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans

• 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.

Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

I am thinking of making a vegan cook book. I have a lot of recipes and I love to cook vegan meals.

Cheryl I love chili and this sounds really good I will give it a try.. I didn't think I would ever like vegan anything but I am slowly eating less and less meat.. I use turkey now instead of beef in a lot of recipes. I also eat lots of fish..which I never did before being banded. Thanks for the recipe

This may be a dumb question but have you ever struggled with Beans? I tried them a couple times but I always get that weird side pain and just total discomfort in my stomach. I can eat a lot of things that I couldnt before but havent tried beans again.

I will be posting more vegan recipes for those that want them. As far as Beans go you will get gas from them. There are no two ways about it that is probably what you were feeling.

I'm going to try this! I can make a pot of it and save it in little containers so I won't have to cook as much for myself!