Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Candy Flavored Meth....

Now here's a scary news item...

News Candy-Flavored Meth

Posted by DAN SAVAGE on March 27 at 9:24 AM

Ripping a page from the tobacco and alcohol industries’ playbooks, the folks that bring you crystal meth have started offering candy-flavored meth—and Washington state is apparently one of the test markets. From USA Today:

Reports of candy-flavored methamphetamine are emerging around the nation, stirring concern among police and abuse prevention experts that drug dealers are marketing the drug to younger people. The flavored crystals are available in California, Nevada,
Washington
, Idaho, Texas, New Mexico, Missouri and Minnesota, according to intelligence gathered by Drug Enforcement Administration agents from informants, users, local police and drug counselors, DEA spokesman Steve Robertson says.

Meth now comes in strawberry, chocolate, and cola flavors—in addition to blue meth, or “Smurf dope,” that one meth maker had selling in Missouri.

News Candy-Flavored Meth

Ripping a page from the tobacco and alcohol industries’ playbooks, the folks that bring you crystal meth have started offering candy-flavored meth—and Washington state is apparently one of the test markets. From USA Today:

Reports of candy-flavored methamphetamine are emerging around the nation, stirring concern among police and abuse prevention experts that drug dealers are marketing the drug to younger people. The flavored crystals are available in California, Nevada,
Washington
, Idaho, Texas, New Mexico, Missouri and Minnesota, according to intelligence gathered by Drug Enforcement Administration agents from informants, users, local police and drug counselors, DEA spokesman Steve Robertson says.

Meth now comes in strawberry, chocolate, and cola flavors—in addition to blue meth, or “Smurf dope,” that one meth maker had selling in Missouri.

Um-I just read that article and nowhere in the USA today article did they mention the tobacco and alcohol industry marketing such a thing. In fact I read your post and the article twice. As much as I despise those two industries, it is the illegal drug makers that are selling the stuff-not "test marketers". I am also confused as to how you blame the tobacco and alcohol industry for "bringing us the meth problem?" Did you read the original article or just Savage's interpretation? To each his/her own, but for the record Savage is full of *()*)(*^^%46, which is why he was fired from his radio show. Just my opinion.

You know-after I read your post the third time I get it!!!! You are equating flavored cigs to flavored meth aimed at kids. I get It. Sorry you are absoluty correct. I still do not like Savage though. Again sorry

You are right-making meth is not anything like a legitimate biz. I think the point is that the meth makers are making cherry flavored meth to appeal to young kids in the same way tobacco companies have marketed chocolate and key lime lie flavored cigs. Although they deny it, very few adults would be tempted to try such flavored cigs but a child would find it very appealing. Offering Cherry flavored meth could also be very appealing to youngsters. Both just want to create younger and younger addicts in order to make more money as the older addicts die off. Both are sick.

I have NO idea what you are talking about. The article was written by Donna Leinwand and published in USA Today. It says nothing about cigarettes or tobacco companies. The whole point is that people who produce/sell methamphetamine (an ILLEGAL, addictive substance) have begun to add candy flavorings to their product, in order to make it more appealing to children.

News Candy-Flavored Meth

Washington

The upper portion of the post mentions both tobacco and alcohol industries as well as test markets-that is where I got it from. Sorry if I misunderstood your original post.

You know-something just occured to me-is some one playing an April Fools joke on us?? Cherry meth?? think about it.

The upper portion of the post mentions both tobacco and alcohol industries as well as test markets-that is where I got it from. Sorry if I misunderstood your original post.

I thought it was obviously a tongue-in-cheek reference. But maybe not....

Have you checked your cigarettes to make sure they have writing on them?

You know-something just occured to me-is some one playing an April Fools joke on us?? Cherry meth?? think about it.

Unfortunately, no....it's very true, and very scary. I googled "candy flavored meth" and came up with a lot of unrelated hits. And USA Today is a highly respected publication, not Mad Magazine. I seriously doubt they would ever publish such a "joke".

That really is sad. I live in a rural part of Washington where meth has become a scourge to young people and old as well. It saddens me to think even more young kids might be tempted. Everyday we read in the local paper about arrests, imprisionment and neglected children-all due to meth.

I think also, there is confusion here between Dan Savage and Michael Savage.

Like I would post anything from Michael Savage...

Somebody really is smoking something stronger than a Marlboro....LOL

I didn't know who Dan Savage was, so I Googled him and found this...

OMG!!! At least he votes Democratic, though!....LOL

Savage Love

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Savage Love is a syndicated sex-advice column by Dan Savage, appearing weekly in several dozen newspapers, mainly free city papers in the U.S. and Canada, but also newspapers in Europe and Asia. It started in 1991 with the first issue of the Seattle weekly newspaper The Stranger. It can also be found in the Stranger's sister publication, Oregon's Portland Mercury. Other venues include: The Onion AV Club [1], the LA Weekly, The Chicago Reader [2] and its affiliated paper Reader's Guide to Arts & Entertainment, the Twin Cities' City Pages, the Cleveland Scene [3], Halifax's The Coast [4], The Orlando Weekly, Boston's Weekly Dig [5], St. Louis, "Riverfront Times" [6], Hamilton Ontario's View Magazine [7], and Vancouver's Georgia Straight [8].

The openly gay author uses the column as a forum for his strong opinions that often flout "family values"; he often encourages advice-seekers to pursue their fetishes. The tone of the column is humorous, and Savage does not shy away from using profanity. He is strongly opposed to bestiality, incest, pedophilia, rape, and social inequality. Though Savage encourages sexual experimentation, he does not encourage carelessness. He frequently makes use of his position — that of a columnist with a large and loyal audience — to spread AIDS awareness and to promote safe sex. In political matters, Savage occasionally shows a libertarian bent. He does however vote Democratic because he believes that voting for minority parties gives votes to the Republicans.

I got the two mixed up-I like Dan Savage-I used to live in Seattle and I think he is hilarious and smart and his column is pretty funny. It was MIKE SAVAGE I was refering to, he is a person I have little respect for. Oops!!!