Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2/18/14 General Update- Things are good

Hi. Just checking in. Banded 2/18 and have the following to report:

-feel normal again, no pain. worst I went through was day 3/4 when I had upper intestinal cramping - something I will never forget!

-have lost 26 pounds, was NOT on any pre-surgical diet

-Wednesday was able to eat tuna fish lunch packet with crackers, yesterday moved on to a small wendys chili with saltines. Had been surviving previous week on egg whites and applesauce, Soups

-very scared of getting stuck and probably not getting enough Protein

-have been drinking glass of wine at night every other night no issues

-port incision still healing - covering with neosporin and gauze pads

-energy level good, still have no feeling of hunger but I think my stomach physically gets hungry because I can hear it growling

-wondering what food should I try next. Soft fish like grouper or redfish? Potatoes cut-up with skin or no skin (red potatoes), mashed potatoes? raw oysters or grilled oysters with saltines chewed well? chicken, steak or shrimp cut into pieces smaller than a dime? raw tuna in seaweed paper (sushi roll with no rice?) especially have questions about asian food, as my wife is asian and my kids are used to eating a lot of it. what it be possible to eat dumplings in a Soup - like pf changs won ton soup?

-happy to stay in this mode of chili, egg whites and tuna fish but just have no idea where my food limits are.

First fill scheduled for 3/18 but will skip if not having hunger pains based on what I have read on this forum. wouldn't even be seeing my doc - just a nurse PA, so I might as well make the decision myself. Thanks.

I think you're doing great. My only advice comes from my own experience. Make sure you're getting enough Protein and try to stay away from starchy carbs like the potatoes and dumplings. It's protein, then veggies, then carbs if you still have room. I truly believe the less carbs you eat, the faster you will lose. Best wishes!

And don't be afraid of trying new foods. If you eat slow enough and chew your food well, you should be fine.

Edited by Leepers

Sounds like you're doing great! I was not hungry following surgery for quite a while but then it did return and I started the process of fills. I love fish and think you're on the right track there with soft fish, not overcooked. Talk about a beautiful Protein source! Good luck to you and congratulations on getting your band.