Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want my cake....

I'm having one of those days where I want to have my cake and eat it too. I went searching for protien info and ended up looking at before and after photos of rny patients. I looked at them and said to myself I could be at goal right now if I had chosen RNY. But that surgery scares the begeebees outa me. Why can't I have the safety and healthiness of the band but the super fast waightloss of rny? Just feeling sorry for myself wishing I could wish away all the years of fat that I piled on to my poor body. I know that in another year I will be at the very least at my surgeons goal for me and close to my own goal, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it now! OK I'm done venting. I really do love my band and I am glad that I chose it, I'm just impatient :bored

Waterlily, I know how you feel. I am just at 50 lbs in 10 months. Its been an average of 1 lb a week for me. I want it now too. I like the fact that I can still eat sweets and drink alcohol being banded. My doctor is thrilled at my weight loss to date as yours probably is. Just enjoy the journey. Its going to take at least another year. Good luck.

Gosh, I'm not banded yet and am struggling with this same feeling. I've changed my eating habits about six weeks ago and though I have lost about 22 lbs, I have only lost 13 lbs in the past month. Now I KNOW that is a very good loss. better than 2# per week. But I'm doing everything right, I'm exercising, I'm logging every bite on fitday.com, I have found I'm averaging about 1700-1900 calories a day (again, pre-band), my basal rate should be about 3800 according to fitday. I know that is just an estimate, I'm probably much closer to about 3000 as my fat % is 55.4, I think I'll ask my exercise physiologist to work my real basal rate out for me this week at rehab.

In any case, I am finding it difficult even losing 2# a week because I feel like it should be so much faster, given my significant lifestyle and eating changes. I do keep reminding myself that I did not put it all on in one year, it's been over a lifetime. I just don't want to wait a lifetime to get it off. I guess I'm glad that I am experiencing these feelings now, so that I will know what is coming post-band when the weight loss is slow (but hopefully steady). I tell myself that every authority says slow and steady (1-2# per week) is the safest and most successful way to lose weight...but still! I think, then it will be 200 weeks, that's four YEARS! The flip side of that is it took well more than four years to put it on...

So I hear ya, and I concur.

Molly,

We're just anxious. I feel the same way sometimes. But RNY...and its side effects, scare the bejesus out of me too. I think we made the right choice, we just need a little patience.

Yeah, we did make the right choice. My DH reminded me that if I had chosen RNY that it is very possible that I could be dead right now! And he is right. The mortality rate of that surgery is frightening. I have done well, and if I stay on track I can be at goal in as little as one year. We all know how fast this first year went I am sure I second year will breeze by too. I am just ready to be thin now, sigh. One thing is for sure by the 4th of July I want to be on the 100lb+ thread! And I will run as many laps as it takes to get there!

I read that the mortality rate for RNY is 1 in 200 while the mortality rate for lapband is 1 in 2000. I like them odds a lot better!

I consider PATIENCE just another gift that the lapband has given me...and one I certainly did not expect. I learned to live with food, instead of constantly battling with it.

Can you even imagine?

The journey is very important...if you learn as you go, you will be a healthy and happy bandster!

Good luck to you!