Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am new and am pre-op right now but I had a couple questions for post op people.

First, When you first start loosing weight, where do you notice it first on your body?

Second, Can you drink caffeine after surgery?

Thanks

For me, it was in my face. It wasn't until I had lost 40 pounds before I was able to change pant sizes. Of course, you have to know everyone is going to be different as we do carry our weight differently.

As far as caffeine goes, it is suggested to wait at least 6 months. Caffeine is a diuretic. It takes awhile to be able to get back to "normal" Fluid intake, so drinking caffeine early out is only going to exacerbate low Fluid level issues. But, after that, caffeine can be re-introduced.

I see you are from Oregon. Me too. Welcome to BariatricPal!

Hi PdxMan,

where did you have your surgery at?

I see my surgeon on the 18th of March. I don't know what kinds of questions to ask. Any tips?

My recommendation is you first do some internet research on your surgeon. Call the office manager and ask how many of his surgeries had leaks or complications that resulted from the surgery. Your questions will have standard answers which is always helpful, but what matters is that you are comfortable with your surgeon.

Good luck

I first noticed my belly. Hubby and son say my belly, hips, and butt.

I followed the no caffeine rule during pre-op and for one week post-op. After that I went back to my normal one 12 oz. cup of coffee a day. I never went overboard with coffee so I did not see any reason to abstain.

It was 40lbs for me, too, before I went down a size but now it seems like I go down a size every 3 weeks! I tend to gain and lose very evenly so it was at about 50 lbs when people started really noticing... very frustrating. Although at this time I still have some loose fat low on my belly, in clothes my stomach looks nice and flat. I love that I don't feel like I look pregnant anymore. I still have about 40lbs to goal and I really think my skin will tone up and I won't need plastics. My skin gets alot tighter when I'm on a plateau and when I'm losing fast it gets all loose again. Very interesting.

Oh yeah... I am completely off caffeine, just don't need it anymore

Hi PdxMan,

where did you have your surgery at?

I had mine done by Dr Thomas Umbach in Las Vegas. I went to the seminar with Dr Emma Patterson, but my insurance did not cover WLS and her office quoted me $35,000 for self pay. Well ... that was just not reasonable. I paid $10,400 and had a great experience.

Where are you doing yours? Does your insurance cover it? What part of Oregon are you?