Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont want anyone to know my weight!

okay, this might seem so stupid but im going to get your opinions on this.

I am so ashamed of my weight, its something i NEVER share with anyone. anyway, there are 2 doctors that im considering using. it turns out that my across the street neighbor (who im friendly with) works in the recovery room of the one hospital that the doctor im interested in works with. Then I have a pretty close friend who works in the cardiac section of the other hospital that Im considering with a different doctor and she was telling if IF i have it done to let her know and she can make sure I have a certain things ect etc plus I know she would stop up on my floor to see me afterwards.

okay, the problem is......will they know my weight? im sure since they work at the hospitals they can stop by the nurses station and look at it right? im sure maybe they dont care and maybe they wouldnt even do that, but Im paranoid. Has anyone else ever been in situation where their privacy is at risk? these are good doctors and Id hate to pass them up because of my own shame!!!!! what do i do??

Even if they work at the hospital you are having surgery at they cannot stop at the nurses station and get your information. Its a breach of HIPPA if they do. Your information is safe with you, now if your neighbor is working on you specifically in the recovery room then she will have to know your weight information. Other than that, they cannot ask for your information even if they work for the hospital.

Even if they work at the hospital you are having surgery at they cannot stop at the nurses station and get your information. Its a breach of HIPPA if they do. Your information is safe with you, now if your neighbor is working on you specifically in the recovery room then she will have to know your weight information. Other than that, they cannot ask for your information even if they work for the hospital.

wow...really i didnt know that and i wondered about that. and they dont hang a chart or put a sign on your bed in the hospital with your weight plastered on it right????

Unless they are directly involved with your care your friend or neighbor will not be able to access your information. It is against HIPPA privacy laws for them to look at or request any information about you. You can also request that No information is to be given to anyone outside of your doctor, nurses and a specific family member. Hope this helps.

Unless they are directly involved with your care your friend or neighbor will not be able to access your information. It is against HIPPA privacy laws for them to look at or request any information about you. You can also request that No information is to be given to anyone outside of your doctor, nurses and a specific family member. Hope this helps.

yes this info does help ease my mind. thank you. im thinking my neighbor who works in recovery would probally have access to my information if she is taking care of me that day, but not the other friend who is in the other hospital..so ill go with that doctor....lol. thats the doctor i was wanting to use anyway.

They will not plaster your weight all over the place. If you are very concerned about this just request not to share information other than with the people who are directly involved.

Instead of focusing on how much you weigh now, be proud that you are taking the first step towards a healthier you.

I agree with "TheRealMeIsHere". Congratulations on taking the first step! I too was very worried about my starting weight and didn't want anyone to know - especially my family. When I started losing, I was so proud of the weight I had lost I told them where I started and where I am now. I also put it on my signature. For me, it keeps me accountable. Originally, I wouldn't even step on the scale and when I went to the doctor's office I always looked away when they weighed me. I didn't want to own up to how high I had gotten. I finally faced it, once and for all, and haven't looked back except to say I'll never be that weight again. Just a thought, but you might want to tell someone you trust where you're starting (even your dog would be a good ear for you!) and keep that one person (or canine, lol) up to date on where you're going. I think just bridging the gap with one will help you with your feelings of shame and uncover the "mystery" you've created around your weight.

One thing you also might want to consider is telling these folks that you'd prefer to keep things private and would like for them to honor that. They will, I promise.

Good luck on your journey! I hope you select the surgeon who is best for YOU and not based on where your friends work. :)