Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not in any way afraid of dying on the table or possible complications. At this point there is no talking me out of it nor scaring with outrageous facts. HOWEVER, I am afraid that I won't succeed. I am afraid my old eating habits will resurface at some point. Hell, before that point I am concerned about eating healthier, I have never done this before.

I was told to not gain a pound and yet I gained 7....WTF! I am scared to stay this way but just even more so that I won't know how to maintain it.

I can see a new me but this fucking process is borderline discouraging....

#prepre-opsucks

Lol, you're not the first and you won't be the last to feel like this.

With the surgery, the biggest thing you have to overcome is the voice in your head. The one that mentions the word "failure", the one that reminds you of the things you've done to sabotage yourself when losing weight before.

In a way, being told not to put on weight set you off doing the opposite. It's likely to be fear that's driving that behaviour. But while you won't believe me now, once you are sleeved, you will be somewhere you haven't been before - working in partnership with someone who won't let you down and who stands between you and failure - your sleeve.

This may not make sense now, but you won't be alone. I have lost the same 50lbs plus repeatedly over the last 25 years. I knew how to lose weight but always sabotaged myself by putting weight back on despite knowing what I was doing. So I was terrified that I wouldn't do well with the sleeve. But my health left me with nothing else to do other than trust that the sleeve was the answer for me.

And that's what's happened. I stuck with the programme - Protein first, Water and moving around. I did as I was told. And 8 months after I was sleeved, I hit my target. 2 months later, I am maintaining and bounce by only one pound up and down round my target. food, once the enemy, is in it's place. I enjoy eating but I no longer self-medicate with it. I have so much time now to do other things - like living!

So whilst the process is borderline discouraging, hang in there. What's coming will change your life and you don't want to miss that!!!!!

Good luck :-)

Edited by Indigo1991

My pleasure! Will watch how you get on :-)

Oh, I think I know that fear feeling..,

The fear of failing after surgery. Like you, I'm worried about making it work postop. I should be ok. I've had the band before and

The fear of having more surgery after failed band (mechanical failure after I lost 100%EWL)

The fear of not having surgery and getting more obese.

The fear of getting type 2 diabetes and heart problems and joint problems if I don't get surgery,

The fear of the general anaesthetic.

The fear of leaving my children orphaned.

The fear of having run out of options.

The fear of wearing a bathing costume. I live swimming, but I hate, hate, hate wearing one now :-(

The fear of getting to the operating table and running away - I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's how it feels sometimes.

Even with all these fears I'm trying to hold my nerve and have surgery when I get my date.

I hope you conquer you fears. Don't give up! Post here and get support if it helps :-)

I have these fears too as I am getting ready for my April surgery. I constantly question myself if I will be able to say NO to the old bad habits. This surgery is all I think about, it drives me nuts! Last night I even had a dream of having the sleeve done and next day sipping on DietCoke and eating fatty cheese. And in my dream my stomach was hurting me a bit but not much and I was surprised that I am still alive eating and drinking right after surgery! I woke up in horror! I have to leave this life behind...

I also feel the same way, I have been freaking out similar to you I was told not to gain weight and I gained like 5 pds

We just got to stay strong and believe that things will be different this time