Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery Feeling Depressed

I had my surgery 18 days ago, and the last I checked on the 24th I was down 33 pounds. I started out at 383, I am now 350 (as of the 24th). But I am beginning to go back to bad habits. My indulgence has always been sweets. Today I had 3 Cookies, 1 first, and 2 more 20 minutes later. I then had 4 mini candies. I know to you it may sound like that's not bad, but I feel addicted. I was doing so good, but its as if my motivation only lasts for so long. Lately, I have been feeling depressed and unmotivated. I have already set up a follow up appointment with a psychologist, but I really need some support, and encouragement. Why do I feel this way? I also have to add I have been doing horribly with getting in my Protein in. I have been eating egg white omelets but other than that I can't get down the Protein shakes. They are absolutely disgusting to me not only because of the consistency, but the taste as well. I have started a vlog on Youtube under Sheedah Monet to keep my family and friends updated, but I don't want to feel this way because that's not a positive message to put out into the world. What would you do if you were me?, I am ok with tough love maybe that's what I need right now, or just a good nights sleep. I could even be low on potassium or my sugar could be high. I don't know, all I know is I need the support. Please check out my youtube page, and I need ample feedback.

-Thank you

Sheedah Monet

Hi!

Here is what I think....

Depression is to be expected. If you were using food to fuel feelings and the food is no longer doing that, you will feel a loss which can result in depression. Don't let this overwhelm you! We are all here in these forums because we are all in the same boat. We have all overused food and truthfully, it is not helping us at all. It's expected that you will mess up from time to time but if you allow this, I am sure you will feel worse later. Try harder! 33 pounds is almost 10% of your body weight and that's an enormous achievement! shake it off and make better choices and in a few weeks when you hit 40 and then 50 pounds, it's going to make you feel better than those Cookies ever did! Also, think about how you want to take care of your body. You're only 18 days out of surgery and I am sure that's not helping your healing stomach. You came this far....see it through! We are all here to listen, not judge. Good luck to you! You'll do great-believe in yourself and the process.

I do not like the Protein Shakes either. Having said this, I find the Atkins to be better then most. I fill a glass with ice and pour the shake at room temperature over the ice and let it sit for about 15 minutes. This changes the consistency and makes it easier to drink. My surgery is Wednesday and I can't wait. God luck.

Thanks Jerziegirl, and Cinthysline. I needed to hear that, since I don't own a scale yet (which I will by the end of next week), I cannot see how much I am losing. I made it about the number, and since I cannot see the number I think I'm not losing so I'm sabotaging myself. And Jerziegirl, your right food has always been a comfort, I thought and still think about it all of the time. I need to delve into my school work more, and focus on exercise. By the way both are easier said than done, but being able to have a bariatric pal helps a great deal. I need those encouraging words, I also need to continue to have my weight watchers meetings. I need to surround myself with encouragement and support, and keep my goal in mind at all times. This is what I find most difficult, but I am working on it. Cinthysline thanks for the tip about the Atkins shake, I will tell you if I find anymore that task great as well. I'm excited for you and your surgery, Good luck with that. Your right Jerziegirl it doesn't help my stomach at all what I am doing, I need to take accountability for what I am putting into my body. I just don't know why I get so down on myself all the time. Thank you both!!!