Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Counting During Blended Stage?

I'm one week post op and I've just started my blended/pureed diet stage. I've been following my nutritionists guidelines but I haven't seen any mention of how many calories I'm supposed to be taking in during this stage. I've been tracking my food intake on myfitnesspal and I've been eating less than 600 calories a day, but I am getting my 60 grams of Protein in most days. I worry that's not enough and my body will just start to store all the calories I take in (aka starvation mode) and it would kind of suck to start gaining weight back right now. So my question is was it recommended to you to stay within a certain calorie range during this stage? I would appreciate your insights :)

I will give you what my PA gave me to follow. calories per meal- 300-400 cal. protein20 grams per meal.or up to 80 a day.total carbs -15-30 per meal(remember you subtract Fiber from total carb total.. fats 5gr. per meal. I found everything easy to follow except the fat amount. a piece of Protein usually has more than that so as long as my calorie intake was below the 400 I was ok with it. now this is the amounts while your band is being adjusted. as you get close to green some of these just don't happen. or are very hard to achieve. so I found that in the morning my band is tight that a vegetable smoothie with Protein added like greek yogurt or tofu or Protein powder helps me through Breakfast. I hope this helps

I don't think you should worry about calories until you're on regular food. Some people don't worry about calories ever. I do use MyFitnessPal, as it helps keep me in line. What I worried about most during mushies was trying not to start eating crappy carbs again. Like mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, etc..

I agree with leepers. You are only in the mushy stage for a little while, doubtful that you will be in "starvation" mode that quickly! Eat you Protein and whatever you mix to make your mushy foods, and the amount your nutritionist has advised, you will be fine! Karen

I don't ever think I am asked about calories.... But i am asked a lot of questions about portion sizes. I will share with you what I do, but it's just computed in my own simple mind. This is how I set a calorie goal (keep in mind that I really want to get to the point that I eat w/out paying soooo much attention to details like counting calories ---- you know, just let the band do its job---- but I'm not there yet). Every time I go to the doctor, I'm given a "Body Compisition Analysis." At my current weight, it says that my BMR is 1688 calories. If I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week, I subtract 750 calories a day from this. (A pound is 3500 calories / 7 days = 500 calories a day to cut, so 1 1/2 pounds would be to cut 750 calories a day.). 1688-750 = 938 calories a day goal. So that's what I set for MyFitnessPal. Now, I exercise, and burn over 650 calories a day, so I really eat 938+ some of those calories burned. Hope this helps.... Again, not told by doc or nutritionist, just how I see it!

Thanks for all the advice!! I'm trying to eat as healthy and Protein packed as possible all while staying in my 2-4oz per meal range. I think you all are pretty much right, calories counting is more for later food stages :)

I haven't had my surgery yet (march 12th) yay!. But my program says 600-800 calories during stage 3 and eventually you should work your way up to 1200. However, I agree with everyone else you shouldn't worry about calories yet. My Dr. Says #1 get your Water in!! And #2 get your Protein in!! So that's what I will be focussing on.

Good Luck :)

I haven't had my surgery yet (march 12th) yay!. But my program says 600-800 calories during stage 3 and eventually you should work your way up to 1200. However, I agree with everyone else you shouldn't worry about calories yet. My Dr. Says #1 get your Water in!! And #2 get your Protein in!! So that's what I will be focussing on.<br> Good Luck :)

I am having my surgery on the 10th! I am really looking forward to it. I am drinking the liquid diet if only high Protein shakes and broth. I wasn't given a calorie count ever. I am a bit confused because things are so different. After surgery they said day 7 start eating chunky and no mushy foods but I see many are mashing food. Is that because it's easier to deal with??

It's true, there are many variations from one program to another. I'm also on the Protein Shake diet (it's very difficult) I am allowed one "real" food meal but I have just been having a Protein Bar instead. I'm afraid I'll eat more than I should at that meal. After surgery I will be on modified liquids for 3 weeks. That includes Protein Shakes, yogurt, smooth cottage cheese, strained/blended Soup. Basically no lumps at all! After I go for my post op at 3 weeks out they will give me the ok to move onto stage 4.

Good Luck with your surgery!! Your just 2 days ahead of me! Super excited!

My doctor told me to just make sure I am well hydrated, taking my Vitamins, and getting in Protein. He said we will visit calories when I make it to solids.

But, he also put me on a 4 week liquid diet, then 2 more mushies.