Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to say....

If we continue to tell ourselves the band did all the work, without giving OURSELVES any credit for our success, we're ultimately telling ourselves we did nothing to earn this accomplishment and for me I don’t want ANYTHING I didn’t earn and work hard for.

Not only that but also newbies and people just starting their research on the band is going to get the impression that all they have to do is have this magical belt strapped around their stomach and hundred or so pounds will just fall off and in my opinion that is just bad news...

The only thing I disagree with is it doesn't always stop you from eating as much as you want. If it has for you then that is great but lets not give people a misconception that it will not let them eat more then they want to because I can sit and eat all day if I choose to. I can eat more then I should but I don't. Not everyone gets the same out come and yes has to work hard at it. B52 I am happy that you have not had to do anything except change what you were eating but that is most likely not what everyone else will experience. I can certainly eat around my band if I choose to.

I agree with what you guys have written here. I am working with my band everyday. It has helped me in ways I never understood that I needed help before, which is why diets never worked for me, but there is hard work involved in changing your life.

I wish that it was so simple to have the band placed and poof 40 years of bad habits fall by the wayside, but that takes some learning and focus of thought to make good choices not to mention some umph to get up and move the body that has been sitting on it's laurels for far too long.

I'm embracing my new life and making it work for me.

I'd like to chime in here because I'm in what you veterans call bandster hell - I completely believe B52 but what I believe he is failing to do and remember and reflect on, is HIS bandster hell - because until the weight is OFF it's still a diet. Sure,is it somewhat easier because the band limits your intake - absolutely. But the weight loss is slow for those of us who are still in the losing phase of being banded. And given that we are in the losing phase it matters what we eat and the deprived feeling exists b/c it's not been that long since we were gorging on entire pizzas and beers.

So, we newbies need to walk the walk & for once veterans, commiserate with us - give us, an "Oh, I remember being so frustrated b/c I was eating 3000 less calories a day for weeks and weeks and I lost only 2 lbs" - b/c I believe that is how it was for you too... ???

Congrats that you are where you are - it's been 3+ years for you - go back and read some of the things you wrote/felt 2 1/2 years ago... I'm curious - b/c that is what I'd like to hear about once in a while. Your status right now gives tremendous hope and I truly believe that will be my case in 2016... but right now I'm barely in Onderland wondering when will the weight shed??? I KNOW that it will - it's just patience aren't my strength.

Peace

I know B-52 often references his bandster hell, and how he actually gained weight until he was at "green" spot fill wise. He totally gets the bandster hell- we all do- when the band is placed but not filled it's not going to restrict anything.

I too can eat around my band and battle my head hunger still, but I love my band and know without it I would not only have lost 90 lbs, who knows how many more I would have gained!

Nicki

I'd like to chime in here because I'm in what you veterans call bandster hell - I completely believe B52 but what I believe he is failing to do and remember and reflect on, is HIS bandster hell - because until the weight is OFF it's still a diet. Sure,is it somewhat easier because the band limits your intake - absolutely. But the weight loss is slow for those of us who are still in the losing phase of being banded. And given that we are in the losing phase it matters what we eat and the deprived feeling exists b/c it's not been that long since we were gorging on entire pizzas and beers. So, we newbies need to walk the walk & for once veterans, commiserate with us - give us, an "Oh, I remember being so frustrated b/c I was eating 3000 less calories a day for weeks and weeks and I lost only 2 lbs" - b/c I believe that is how it was for you too... ??? Congrats that you are where you are - it's been 3+ years for you - go back and read some of the things you wrote/felt 2 1/2 years ago... I'm curious - b/c that is what I'd like to hear about once in a while. Your status right now gives tremendous hope and I truly believe that will be my case in 2016... but right now I'm barely in Onderland wondering when will the weight shed??? I KNOW that it will - it's just patience aren't my strength. Peace

Yes yes and yes. Once you hit the green zone it is a little easier but I can truthfully tell you that it has taken me 9 months to get here. My doc is conservative with fills and I have not minded that in the least bit. It has given me time to learn and understand and make changes to my food choices or diet. Yes I said the word diet because that's what it is we are on a diet each and every single day with every bite of food we eat.

CC you are doing awesome and your on target with what you wrote. Everyone goes through a period of learning and growth until it clicks and they find what works for them.

There was many times I thought I was in the green zone along the way only to have it subside days or even a week and half later. It took me about 6 almost 7 months post op before I was finally in a spot that worked for me. Those 6+ months were some frustrating times back in forth. I have to admit now that I am in the green zone the head hunger is more controllable and at times I wonder if my band has more to do with it then my state of mind. As a friend on here told me I do tend to over analyze things.

Bandster hell was rough and the only way I got through it was by not having the tempting foods around me. I was a severe junk food addict and I simply could not keep it in the house. I still do not keep in the house even now but now that I am in the green zone I feel I have more control. Urge just isn't there but I cannot tell you for sure if it is just me embracing my new lifestyle, will power or the band or just a combination of all of it.

I have not had a fill since January 29, 2012. April 16 will be my two year anniversary. My most challenging part of this journey has been my patience. I went through periods of up and down frustrations with the scale. I slowly started recognizing that there are other factors to consider when losing weight. Look for NSV's AKA non scale victories. Watching and feeling myself go from a size 62 waist to a 36 was more rewarding than any number on a scale.