Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you get too much protein?

Yeah me again.. the high Protein, low carb thing quit working and now I'm gaining about a lb a day! I know I kicked the protein up a notch. I am running between 15 - 22 carbs a day with 100 - 130 protein. Could I be gaining weight because I'm getting too many protein? Trying to figure out why I was losing so good on it and now I'm gaining it all back.

With Protein also comes fat. It might be the type of protein you are getting as well. The amount of carbs you are taking in is DEFINITLY less than you should be having. Are you on a really low carb diet? You really shouldn't get less than 60 grams a day of healthy carbs. Otherwise, your body can be thrown into ketosis. Ketosis can wreak havoc on you. Look it up on the internet but make sure you get info from a reliable source. Diets such as Atkins praise ketosis- but it can lead to a lot of problems.

I do log everything on fitday.com (I never break 1000 calories). I started out with 20-25 carbs and 90ish Protein and lost weight fast! I was extatic as I started losing weight for the first time in months... but I think I OD'd on Protein and got really sick and headachy and now I've gained it all back (well, all the weight I lost on the low carb thing).

I'm just desperate to figure out what MY body needs to lose weight! I've tried a low carb diet, a low fat diet, a low calorie (<600) diet and I do lose weight on all of them... then it all comes right back. If I don't diet I maintain UGH so frustrating! Course, I got this band so I could stop dieting but I was under the false impression that if you followed the bandster rules that you'd lose weight... boy was I wrong.

Yeah me again.. the high Protein, low carb thing quit working and now I'm gaining about a lb a day! I know I kicked the Protein up a notch. I am running between 15 - 22 carbs a day with 100 - 130 protein. Could I be gaining weight because I'm getting too many protein? Trying to figure out why I was losing so good on it and now I'm gaining it all back.

Maybe this will help...it is a link to a doctor in Kansas City who explains everything! The information you are wanting is towards the back pages.

http://www.lsaobesity.com/Lap-BandDietGuide.htm

Prbrooksie,

Thanks for that link. I printed off a copy and am planning on bring it to my support group tonight to have our nurse check it out.

"First Year - the operation pretty much does all of the work for you. This means you will lose weight almost in spite of yourself"

Now THAT is depressing hehe, what if you can't seem to lose weight after 6 months? That means in June everything will get twice as hard when it's already not happening.

Thanks for the info though! I'm going to read and re-read and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

prbBrooksie: THANKS for the link.. I printed it off, and I for one am a HUGE believer in a LowCarb diet... my problem is maintaining it...

For ME... I have to eat about 20-30 carbs a day to lose weight, but I

have a HYPOthyroid, and PCOS. Even with my docs pre-op, I'm choosing the Lower Carb options.

I have started my pre-op TODAY.. so I have a long road.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR JOURNEY!

"First Year - the operation pretty much does all of the work for you. This means you will lose weight almost in spite of yourself"

Now THAT is depressing hehe, what if you can't seem to lose weight after 6 months? That means in June everything will get twice as hard when it's already not happening.

Thanks for the info though! I'm going to read and re-read and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

WOW. The original quote must have been written by someone who's never had a weight problem. It's just not that easy.

WOW. The original quote must have been written by someone who's never had a weight problem. It's just not that easy.

I think the original text was written for a bypass patient and edited for LapBand.....

prbBrooksie: THANKS for the link.. I printed it off, and I for one am a HUGE believer in a LowCarb diet... my problem is maintaining it...

For ME... I have to eat about 20-30 carbs a day to lose weight, but I

have a HYPOthyroid, and PCOS. Even with my docs pre-op, I'm choosing the Lower Carb options.

I have started my pre-op TODAY.. so I have a long road.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR JOURNEY!

23 days until surgery and you are starting the pre-op diet? I wonder why Dr. Malley has you doing this and I did only 2 days worth of liquids before surgery?

23 days until surgery and you are starting the pre-op diet? I wonder why Dr. Malley has you doing this and I did only 2 days worth of liquids before surgery?

They JUST CHANGED IT in March!!!! I found out on the Malley board and then Nikki emailed me the new pre-op diet. I started it 1 week early because I have been gaining.. and so far I'm down 6 lbs! BTW, I've been reading that entire document at night... it really did explain a lot. thx!

They JUST CHANGED IT in March!!!! I found out on the Malley board and then Nikki emailed me the new pre-op diet. I started it 1 week early because I have been gaining.. and so far I'm down 6 lbs! BTW, I've been reading that entire document at night... it really did explain a lot. thx!

I should just do it with you, so I can get a new start on losing weight...I'm glad the information helped. It helped me too. I just have to stay away from junk food.

Kynekke, have you talked to your nutritionist about this? They should be able to give you some ideas about where you're getting hung up. What does your doctor say when you go in for fills? What's your Protein source? Is it liquid or are you actually eating something and if so, what?